Windows on a Mac

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Windows on a Mac

Post by bayswater »

Does anyone have real world experience with this? Particularly with audio apps. I recall a John Dvorak article saying the best computer to run windows was a Mac, but that was a long time ago.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
mikehalloran

Re: Windows on a Mac

Post by mikehalloran »

Some have trouble accessing Core services including audio from within Windows while others do not. As far as I know, that's the only real issue. Since there is more than one way to install Windows on a Mac (Bootcamp, Parallels etc.), that may have something to do with it.

You might be able to find better information here:

https://forum.parallels.com/

http://www.parallels.com/products/desktop/support/
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Thanks. I'll follow that up.

By "Core services" do you mean things like CoreAudio, CoreMIDI, etc? I wouldn't have guessed you'd be using things like ASIO in Windows rather than going back into the Mac core services.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

bayswater wrote:Thanks. I'll follow that up.

By "Core services" do you mean things like CoreAudio, CoreMIDI, etc? I wouldn't have guessed you'd be using things like ASIO in Windows rather than going back into the Mac core services.
That's exactly what I mean. If ASIO can't talk to Core Services, audio and MIDI can't work.

Since Parallels is a commercial app, I should think they know this issue well plus there's a user forum. Perhaps it's no longer an issue—I've not heard any buzz on it in years.

I just found this page from Apple Support that has links to Boot Camp Communities. Perhaps you'll find someone who knows this issue well—could happen.

https://support.apple.com/boot-camp
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I've looked at the Apple community stuff and general googling. I was hoping someone here had actually got it working with DP and other other common apps and interfaces we use.

Again, I'm surprised there is any role for Apple OS components here, particularly if you don't use Parallels, just use boot camp to set up a partition to start up from Windows.
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

I've had to use Windows on Mac quite a lot but never audio-related so I can't help you there. I will say Parallels was always a total PITA through several versions and just generally confusing to use. This was a few years back though. I found Bootcamp to be a lot easier for what I was doing. Parallels does allow you to switch back and forth (kinda) where Boot camp involves a reboot– and then another boot back to OS X to go back and forth. Also Parallels had more access to the Mac itself where Bootcamp acts more like a separate Windows computer.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

philbrown wrote:Parallels had more access to the Mac itself where Bootcamp acts more like a separate Windows computer.
Thanks. A separate Windows computer is what I'm looking for. I just don't want to have to buy another computer when I have seven Macs in the place, so Bootcamp is what I'd want.
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

bayswater wrote:
philbrown wrote:Parallels had more access to the Mac itself where Bootcamp acts more like a separate Windows computer.
Thanks. A separate Windows computer is what I'm looking for. I just don't want to have to buy another computer when I have seven Macs in the place, so Bootcamp is what I'd want.
And the price is right.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce