Looking for Used Mac to Host DP

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Looking for Used Mac to Host DP

Post by James Steele »

True. No for sale ads are allowed. If he wants to offer it via private message that's between him and the OP. But not on the forum.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
greg328

Looking for Used Mac to Host DP

Post by greg328 »

Wow, you removed my post even though it was in direct response to the OP's thread topic? Seems a bit extreme. I'm not actively trying to sell my 3.1 but was planning to offer it to the guy for cheap. And my 3.1 8-core ran DP and tons of plugs for years reliably, it's no slouch.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Mac Studio Ultra, 64 GIG RAM, Apollo Quad, OS 13.4.1 Ventura
DP 11.22, Yamaha Motif XS8, Novation MoroderNova, UAD Apollo and FX plugs, Lots of PLAY/OPUS libraries, Ivory 2, lots of Arturia titles, all 4 Spectrasonics titles, NI Komplete 13, BFD2-3, Addictive Drums 2, MachFive 3, Pianoteq 6, lots of UVI Workstation titles, All 5 MusicLab guitars-RealGuitar, RealStrat, RealLesPaulCustom, RealRickenbacker and RealEight.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Offer it via private message. You put your phone number out there in public in your post which pretty much constitutes an ad. It's a slippery slope and I felt it best to remove it. When you run a forum yourself you can do what you want and look forward to being criticized no matter what you do. :)

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I was on my phone earlier and so had to type my reply quickly. Let me expand on it now that I have a QWERTY keyboard at my disposal. I don't mean to come off as brusk. The problem is that when you run a board you have to be very quick to enforce certain rules. I decided long ago not to allow gear for sale posts on the board for the main reason that I didn't want to get drawn into it, perhaps even legally, if a deal went bad and somebody didn't follow through with their part of the transaction. I didn't want the headaches. So for a long time now, it has not been allowed to post gear for sale ADS. Because your reply to the OP included a description of the item "for sale" and a phone number (I don't think it included a price, but not sure now) AND was posted publicly, such that people beside the OP might potentially contact you about it, I thought it best to avoid what would be a "slippery slope."

I don't know if you've run a board or not, but let's say I let your post stand... it would not be unlikely that other such posts would be made and I would be reminded that I let yours stay and I'd be criticized for being inconsistent or playing favorites. I assure you it's nothing personal. I'm concerned allowing your post to stay would open up a can of worms for me that I'd rather avoid.

I repeat... I CANNOT SEE what people are sending to each other via private message. Nothing prevents you from contacting someone via private message on the board and saying "Hey... I have this older MacPro you might be interested in..." and you can do what you wish. I'm not encouraging this, I'm not discouraging this... I'm neutral. I'm just saying that it's obvious to me that there are other methods which avoid posting publicly. Thanks.

AsensoryMusic

Post by AsensoryMusic »

Wow, lots of great and useful information ... just got back from holiday stuff, accounting for the late reply.

I'll read through everything and respond if necessary. I found a 5,1 hex core 3.33Ghz machine with 32 gigs of RAM and ordered it. I am waiting for delivery. I have an old monitor (21 inch I think), but will add a new one (24 likely, possibly 27) following advice received herein. Gotta have 2 monitors.

Thanks again for all the great info!
AsensoryMusic

Post by AsensoryMusic »

James Steele wrote:Offer it via private message. You put your phone number out there in public in your post which pretty much constitutes an ad. It's a slippery slope and I felt it best to remove it. When you run a forum yourself you can do what you want and look forward to being criticized no matter what you do. :)
As I missed these posts until now, its a moot point. That said, why not have a separate area of the forum allowing trade to occur among members? That would make it easy for folks to scan through and see what is out there on offer, and for those to put items up for sale to a very targeted audience. And, it would keep such traffic out of the regular forums, which I can understand is a desirable thing. Just a question,
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

AsensoryMusic wrote:Wow, lots of great and useful information ... just got back from holiday stuff, accounting for the late reply.

I'll read through everything and respond if necessary. I found a 5,1 hex core 3.33Ghz machine with 32 gigs of RAM and ordered it. I am waiting for delivery. I have an old monitor (21 inch I think), but will add a new one (24 likely, possibly 27) following advice received herein. Gotta have 2 monitors.

Thanks again for all the great info!
When you have it in hand, post the graphics card info (from About This Mac on your new machine) plus a picture of the back of the card where we can see the actual external connectors. That will tell us a lot. Two monitors should be a piece of cake but that depends on the actual card(s).
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

AsensoryMusic wrote:
James Steele wrote:Offer it via private message. You put your phone number out there in public in your post which pretty much constitutes an ad. It's a slippery slope and I felt it best to remove it. When you run a forum yourself you can do what you want and look forward to being criticized no matter what you do. :)
As I missed these posts until now, its a moot point. That said, why not have a separate area of the forum allowing trade to occur among members? That would make it easy for folks to scan through and see what is out there on offer, and for those to put items up for sale to a very targeted audience. And, it would keep such traffic out of the regular forums, which I can understand is a desirable thing. Just a question,
I believed I explained it earlier. I really don't want to be the middle man in transactions between private parties and wake up one morning with an angry message from some board member complaining that he sent money to another board member and never received his merchandise. Perhaps if I can be completely, legally free of any responsibility in those cases. But bottom line is it's more work, and there are other places people can do that.

AsensoryMusic

Post by AsensoryMusic »

Still waiting for delivery, FedEx strikes again, unfortunately. I think it may have left the hub in Georgia, Saints be Praised if it has, if not .... I continue to grow angrier.

Anyway, the unit has 2 video outs, DVI and mini display port.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

AsensoryMusic wrote:Still waiting for delivery, FedEx strikes again, unfortunately. I think it may have left the hub in Georgia, Saints be Praised if it has, if not .... I continue to grow angrier.

Anyway, the unit has 2 video outs, DVI and mini display port.
If the unit you ordered has a GT120 GPU (1 mini display port and 1 DVI), it is likely a 4,1 that has been updated to a 5,1 via firmware update, then a new CPU installed. 5,1s shipped with ATI 5770 or 5870 GPUs.

Whether the MP is a 4,1 >5,1 or true 5,1 hex will make no difference as far as performance goes, but the price for a 4,1>5,1 should be lower than a true 5,1. 4,1>5,1 MPs date from 2009, not 2010 or 2012 like the 5,1s, so the parts, particularly capacitors in the power supply, are older and likely to not have as much remaining life. Also, ATI 5770s are more powerful than GT120 GPUs.

Lots of people are still running 2009's, including myself, so rest assured there is nothing wrong with a 4,1>5,1; I just want to be sure you know the difference, so you can intelligently discuss this with your seller if it turns out he misrepresented the model/age of the unit you purchased.
AsensoryMusic

Post by AsensoryMusic »

If the unit you ordered has a GT120 GPU (1 mini display port and 1 DVI), it is likely a 4,1 that has been updated to a 5,1 via firmware update, then a new CPU installed. 5,1s shipped with ATI 5770 or 5870 GPUs.

Whether the MP is a 4,1 >5,1 or true 5,1 hex will make no difference as far as performance goes, but the price for a 4,1>5,1 should be lower than a true 5,1. 4,1>5,1
Yeap, the seller was open about it. Maybe I could have ground him down some more, but it is what it is. What I will do after I get everything running is be on the lookout for other machines as they become available, if, over the next few years, I see something on sale that is significantly newer/better for reasonable money, I will purchase as a voluntary upgrade.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

AsensoryMusic wrote: Yeap, the seller was open about it. Maybe I could have ground him down some more, but it is what it is.
That's good. Nothing wrong with a 4,1; I hope you enjoy it!