New NI S88 causing what sounds like MIDI feedback

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
terrybritton
Primary DAW OS: Windows

New NI S88 causing what sounds like MIDI feedback

Post by terrybritton »

I did a search and found nothing specific to this (though there was this post).

When I load Komplete Kontrol as an instrument-with-options, the interface loads and I can select sounds, but when I hit a note, a short "blip" is heard followed by nothing, and if I hit the note again, what sounds like a MIDI feedback loop starts. Turning off the record-enable button stops it.

In the post referenced above (which was about Komplete 10, not Komplete Kontrol directly) the same issue came up when that OP tried to use Komplete Kontrol thinking it was needed. However, the only solution proffered was to not use Komplete Kontrol, and to load the sounds directly instead.

I want to use Komplete Kontrol so I have the benefits from that, and I have no problems using any of my other DAWs and my performance host (Sonar Platinum, Samplitude, Harrison Mixbus, Cantabile 3).

There are no feedback loops in the Bundles. In fact, there are outputs available, but I've not directed anything to those.

Anyone successful in using their NI S-series keyboards with DP?

Terry
Last edited by terrybritton on Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools
terrybritton

Re: New NI S88 causing what sounds like MIDI feedback

Post by terrybritton »

Well, I guess I should answer my own post, since I did discover one thing at least!

The anomaly I mentioned above with the "blip" on the first note followed by what appears to be a MIDI feedback loop when you hit the second note goes away if I switch to Multi-Record mode.

It may be something to do with the channel being open to "any" that it is receiving inputs it is not supposed to receive from the NI Controller along with the note data.

The S-88 has three channels, or more accurately perhaps, three ports - a regular one, called simply "Komplete Kontrol", a "Komplete Kontrol EXT" port that brings in MIDI via the USB cable from a device plugged into its MIDI-In DIN jack, and a port called "Komplete Kontrol DAW" that sends some kind of supposedly Mackie Universal Control data. Which, BTW, does work as a control surface from the transport buttons somewhat, though FF and Rewind are actually scrub fast and scrub slow (second hit of the button switches to fast, third hit returns to slow, etc.).

As suggested above, I presume the "Komplete Kontrol DAW" port's data stream may be messing things up. This in spite of there being no routing from or to that in the Bundles editor.

Also, I should mention that this only applies to when you are using Komplete Kontrol (the host for the various plugins that interfaces with the keyboard). You can use the S-Series keyboard in regular MIDI mode just fine sending to other VSTi's - no feedback loop occurs then even with "Multi-Record" turned off.

I was surprised there were not a gob of Native Instruments S-Series controller owners here who might have jumped right into this one. You're making me feel like the first kid on the block! :dance:

If I find out anything else, I'll bury it into this thread for future interlopers to peruse.

Terry
Last edited by terrybritton on Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:13 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

mesayre

Post by mesayre »

Do you have anything hooked up to the keyboard's input? If so, could a loop between that and another piece of hardware.

I have in the past had issue with random bleeps and bloops if I don't have a control surface hooked up correctly, as several of the protocols (like HUI) function by way of MIDI note events. I don't have an NI keyboard so I'm afraid that's about all I can offer.
DP 10 - Win 10 - Ultralite AVB
terrybritton

Post by terrybritton »

mesayre wrote:Do you have anything hooked up to the keyboard's input? If so, could a loop between that and another piece of hardware.

I have in the past had issue with random bleeps and bloops if I don't have a control surface hooked up correctly, as several of the protocols (like HUI) function by way of MIDI note events. I don't have an NI keyboard so I'm afraid that's about all I can offer.
No, all that was checked thoroughly, and like I mentioned in the first post, there was no problem with the other DAWs I have using the exact same setup.

On other systems, you can isolate the ports so as to ignore the Komplete Kontrol DAW port as a regular MIDI input.

In "any" mode in DP only, you cannot turn off that port, it seems. (Or... maybe you can, but I have not seen where that is possible yet. This happens because all input ports are exposed at all times when "Multi-Record" is turned off.)

It is a stream from that port that is giving the appearance of MIDI feedback, and it overloads the system from the looks of it. Everything works fine if I switch to Multi-Record mode.

I edited the second post to be clearer about what appears to be happening just now.

Terry
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

Antoine D.

Post by Antoine D. »

Hi there. I ressurect this thread to speak again about the Komplete control problem with digital performer ( 8 for me ). Indeed i have a loop, and i don't understand the way's work of the "multi-record" solution mention above.
When i select Multi record on the Studio project, i just don't have anything working with my Komplete Kontrol.
Probably is my english level the problem, but can somebody give a solution ?

Massive work's perfectly, but not all my other Komplete Kontrol instrument.
Michael Canavan
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by Michael Canavan »

Antoine D. wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:00 am Hi there. I ressurect this thread to speak again about the Komplete control problem with digital performer ( 8 for me ). Indeed i have a loop, and i don't understand the way's work of the "multi-record" solution mention above.
When i select Multi record on the Studio project, i just don't have anything working with my Komplete Kontrol.
Probably is my english level the problem, but can somebody give a solution ?

Massive work's perfectly, but not all my other Komplete Kontrol instrument.
It sounds like you're talking about the software plug in, not the hardware keyboards.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.