New macs - new system upgrade questions

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

DougieFresh
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

New macs - new system upgrade questions

Post by DougieFresh »

By now, I assume most mac users have seen the 2016 MBP release. Without getting into the state of Apple and its latest offerings (or lack thereof), I need to bite this year and replace an early ’08 MBP still running OS 10.6.8 and DP 7.??. Some brief questions regarding upgrading the studio ecosystem, as it’s been a really long time since my last major upgrade. I consider myself a low to moderate CPU and audio/MIDI track count user for what it’s worth.

Am I right in still assuming the core practice that I should be recording to an external drive in 2016? If so, am I good with a disc-based USB external drive – or should I consider SSD despite cost and size restrictions for a drive that doesn’t spin. Performance differences between SSD & disc? Have always used a separate drive for recording, going back to my first system in 1993 with Mac II CI and 80 MB external drive. Always thought it was a practice mostly used to keep the load off the internal bus of the computer. Not sure if that’s accurate or applicable to today’s computers.

Also wondering about the state of my 828mkII (still running fine) and if this is the point in time to upgrade to something like an Ultralite MK-4. My big concern with the 828 is reliability in connecting/adapting Firewire 400 to USB-C. I’m sure the I/Os have improved on MOTUs interfaces over the course of a decade or more. Could still use the 828 with the 2008 MBP as a secondary system.

With DP9, I’ll be using Mach 5 III, all Spectrasonics instruments (excluding Keyscape), Kontakt, and a few other VIs.

It’s been so long since I’ve had to replace various components at once - trying to be smart about this. Grateful for any thoughts & thanks!

Doug
MacBook Pro touch bar, Late 2016; 2.7 GHz i7; 16GB RAM; 500 GB SSD / MOTU 828 mkII / DP 9.12; Mach 5 III / Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trillian / Kontact 5 / NI Komplete 11
mikehalloran

Re: New macs - new system upgrade questions

Post by mikehalloran »

Am I right in still assuming the core practice that I should be recording to an external drive in 2016?
No unless you don't have the storage space.
Always thought it was a practice mostly used to keep the load off the internal bus of the computer. Not sure if that’s accurate or applicable to today’s computers.
It isn't—hasn't been since the SATA bus was introduced with the G5 in 2002.

The Samsung 850 EVO 2T has a street price of less than $600. Put it in an external TB, USB3 or USBC housing.
Performance differences between SSD & disc?
Night and Day—many, many threads on this.
Also wondering about the state of my 828mkII (still running fine)
Should still through the Apple Thunderbolt-FW adapter. The latest MBP supports Thunderbolt on all 4 ports.

You will have to upgrade to DP 9. Although DP 7.24 can run under OS 10.12 Sierra, there is no way to install a working copy. If you get an older Mac that runs Yosemite, DP 7.4 will install as long as you have a CD drive available to authorize.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

The only reason to use an HHD anymore is Time Machine. Get an Apple Time Capsule and set up a wireless connection. That way, when you are in your studio, Time Machine will run automatically in the background. The current tower version supports 802.11ac wireless—faster than gigabyte ethernet (really).

http://www.apple.com/search/time-capsule?src=alp

If you buy one at the same time as your MBP, you can include it in AppleCare at no additional charge.

Regarding AppleCare, it gives you three years of call-in support. Sometimes, during updates, having that is a real lifesaver (besides the extension of the hardware warranty to three years).

When you get your new machine, use Time Machine or Migration Assistant to pull your files off the old Mac.

If you must copy and move, compress (zip, archive) your old files first. This will save you a lot of grief, especially with your DP files. Expanding them on the new system grants privileges and permissions automatically.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
DougieFresh

Post by DougieFresh »

Mike, thank you so much. Really appreciate your time and knowledge with my questions. Have been wanting to upgrade to DP9 for a while, but have been waiting for a new MBP to run it. Will try my 828 with adapter before replacing. Thanks again!
MacBook Pro touch bar, Late 2016; 2.7 GHz i7; 16GB RAM; 500 GB SSD / MOTU 828 mkII / DP 9.12; Mach 5 III / Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trillian / Kontact 5 / NI Komplete 11
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Will try my 828 with adapter before replacing. Thanks again!
No problem. Mine was one of the very last which means it is 9 years old—still working fine, BTW. These don't last forever and develop screen, FW and power supply problems judging by many posts over the years.

So, it's not a bad idea to budget for a replacement but, till then, you should be good.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

My 828mkII is still going strong. I also have a backup, purchased barely used for $200, ready to replace it if and when necessary.
kwiz

Post by kwiz »

Great family and friends!

Mac Studio M2 Max, MacPro 8 core (trashcan), MacBook Pro 16 in 2023, OSX Ventura, DP 11, Pro Tools, Logic Pro X, Motu 112D, 24Ao, 8M, 896 MKIII, UA Apollo 16, Waves Horizon, Slate Everything Bundle, Plugin Alliance Bundle, UAD-2 Satellite DSP Accelerator, UAD Apollo Twin.
Native Instruments Komplete 14 Ultimate, Console 1 MKIII w/C1 Fader

"Without struggle, there is no progress"

F. Douglas
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

THAT is funny!!!
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
frankf

Post by frankf »

Loved it! ROFL for sure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

The Mac version of Robin Williams describing golf:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fui7yvebIdk
DougieFresh

Post by DougieFresh »

Kwiz, that is hilarious. Still laughing. Looks like I'll need to dongle up then. :lol:
kwiz

Post by kwiz »

mikehalloran wrote:
The Mac version of Robin Williams describing golf:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fui7yvebIdk
:lol: :lol: Exactly!

Mac Studio M2 Max, MacPro 8 core (trashcan), MacBook Pro 16 in 2023, OSX Ventura, DP 11, Pro Tools, Logic Pro X, Motu 112D, 24Ao, 8M, 896 MKIII, UA Apollo 16, Waves Horizon, Slate Everything Bundle, Plugin Alliance Bundle, UAD-2 Satellite DSP Accelerator, UAD Apollo Twin.

F. Douglas
kwiz

Post by kwiz »

DougieFresh wrote:Kwiz, that is hilarious. Still laughing. Looks like I'll need to dongle up then. :lol:
:lol: :lol: Plus one of these if you use a second monitor with all the trimmings.

https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/TB2DOCK12T1/

F. Douglas