Instant Crash When Adding Stereo Audio Track [SOLVED!]

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
terrybritton
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Instant Crash When Adding Stereo Audio Track [SOLVED!]

Post by terrybritton »

Today I happened to try adding a stereo track and it crashed instantly!

I can add MIDI tracks (including Instrument Track with Options which does successfully add a stereo audio track without crashing) and mono audio tracks, Aux tracks, Master Fader Tracks and such, but cannot add a stereo audio track. I have 9.02, 9.1 and 9.12 on my system, and they all do the same thing! (likely sharing a common .ini file somewhere...)

So far I have re-built my bundles and took out the audio interface .ini file from C:\Users\myname\AppData\Local\MOTU\Digital Performer\Preferences\MOTU Audio System Prefs so it would rebuild that. No dice. I have also run a repair installation. Not sure where to troubleshoot next.

After the crash, DP still appears in the Task Manager most times, so I have to kill it from there to be able to try again. Everything else works, and all my other DAWs work.

I am using the 828 mk3 hybrid on this machine, and have performed a factory reset already to no avail. I even went into Device Manager, used View/Show Hidden, and removed the "ghost" copies of the driver from previous USB plug positions, but it did not help.

Addendum: This happens even if I use the ASIO4ALL driver.

Terry
Last edited by terrybritton on Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools
Guitar Gaz
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Instant Crash When Adding Stereo Audio Track

Post by Guitar Gaz »

Strange - nothing like that here. As you are on Windows it may be a Windows issue - but it's worth checking your Preferences for audio files in DP (type of file such as wav or aiff) and your hardware driver configuration in DP just in case any of the defaults have changed and are upsetting Windows (including buffer sizes etc.).
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.2, Studio One 6.5 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
terrybritton

Re: Instant Crash When Adding Stereo Audio Track

Post by terrybritton »

Guitar Gaz wrote:Strange - nothing like that here. As you are on Windows it may be a Windows issue - but it's worth checking your Preferences for audio files in DP (type of file such as wav or aiff) and your hardware driver configuration in DP just in case any of the defaults have changed and are upsetting Windows (including buffer sizes etc.).
Definitely strange, and not related to the 828, as it happens using Windows Audio. (I should try setting it to no audio at all.) And only on that PC - my other installations are working fine. This is unique to that PC and to DP, only happening when adding a stereo track specifically - no other DAWs I have on that PC have any issues. And all other "Add Tracks" methods work fine. Really odd.

All three PC's have Windows 10, and one is running a different MOTU interface (the Ultralite mk3 hybrid) without issue, so I hesitate to blame that. I'll unplug it and see what happens. May even remove the Cuemix and other driver software.

Thanks for the input! :-)

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

terrybritton

Re: Instant Crash When Adding Stereo Audio Track SOLVED

Post by terrybritton »

I found the problem lay in the bundles.

I have Melodyne Essentials 4 on this machine, and it decided to overpopulate my Bundles under "Instruments" as seen below:

I hit the "Delete Unused" button, then added back 12 items (4 stereo and 8 mono) and adjusted the mono ones appropriately as follows, and I was able to add stereo tracks again.

The last thing I would have guessed! I pulled out the entire Digital Performer folder from my C:\\users\me\AppData\Local\MOTU\ folder forcing it to rebuild so I could make a new project that would not inherit anything, and when that worked, saw that loading a chunk from one of the crashing sequences made that new one crash, and then suspected the bundles.

So, fixed now! (Thankfully!)

Those dastardly, pesky bundles! They sure got me that time!

Terry
Last edited by terrybritton on Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Instant Crash When Adding Stereo Audio Track [SOLVED!]

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Oh my!