DP 9.1 for Windows is here also

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [Windows] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
terrybritton
Primary DAW OS: Windows

DP 9.1 for Windows is here also

Post by terrybritton »

DP 9.1 was released over the weekend.

It appears the Mac folks (DP's original only audience) have been running into several issues, but it is not apparent these issues also appear in the Windows version. I have not had any issues, but have not tried all the new features.

Issues (off the top of my head) that Mac folks are having include:
  • Post-fader effects not working properly (meters, for instance)
    Issues with the new hardware inserts plugin
    Not seeing an improvement with the new improved engine (though I definitely am)
    Some commands no longer working
How are people faring on the Windows end?

I am now using a buffer of 128 with absolutely no processor overloads, and my pianos feel amazingly responsive, as do my organs. I haven't dug deep into my VSTi's yet, but that is coming next.

Terry

[EDIT] A list of the changes can be found in Robert Randolph's post here. Likely it is the same for Mac and Windows.
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools
Orbit-50

Re: DP 9.1 for Windows is here also

Post by Orbit-50 »

I gave up on DP Windows when it first came out because of terrible performance and it's blacklisting of certain VSTi for no reason when every other DAW had no problem loading the "DP blacklisted" plugins. I'm glad to hear it is working well for you. I will have to try the demo to see if upgrading is an option for me now.
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
Alienware i7 R3 loaded with billions of DAWs and plugins.
kdm

Post by kdm »

9.1 is showing no significant change in performance for me either way, but most of my work is with a 300+ scoring template that may not benefit anyway due to extensive use of VEPro. Some quick tests in a blank project with cpu-intensive synth VIs and plugins also didn't show any significant improvement.

The "Processing" load is nearly identical to 9.02 using the same large project, though it fluctuates more in 9.1. However, in 9.02 "Playback" is always near zero. It runs 15-25% in 9.1.

Other than that, 9.1 seems fine. Latency might be improved - haven't had a chance to test that vs. 9.02 yet. I plan to test 9.1 with fresh preferences just to see if 9.02 prefs have any impact on 9.1's performance.
Orbit-50

Post by Orbit-50 »

I gave up at 8.1 so I haven't tried 9. According to what you are saying I will try 9. Thank's kdm!
kdm

Post by kdm »

Orbit-50 - 9.02 has been running very well here. I would recommend starting there instead of jumping straight to 9.1.

9.1 is fine for the most part, but 9.02 is about 5-10% more efficient (processing load), than 9.1. Even if 9.1 shows a little better hardware cpu efficiency on the same project, DP's processing overhead is going to have a more direct impact on how much we can load in a project.

After comparing a project in 9.1 and 9.02 today, I decided to go back to 9.02 for work (testing 9.1 on the side). The difference isn't huge, but it's enough to be worth sticking with 9.02 for now. Perhaps 9.1 will be updated soon to improve performance consistency.
Orbit-50

Post by Orbit-50 »

Very cool. Thank you so much!
terrybritton

Post by terrybritton »

It has been a little while since the release of 9.1. The Mac folks are experiencing some issues already, and many have reverted to using 9.0.2 for the time being.

Have any of the Windows users felt a need to do that? My copy has been steady and stable so far, but I do not push it all that hard, typically. The performance at low latency settings is nothing short of miraculous, however. I use ASIO buffers of 128 all the time now. It seems to be optimized for that buffer size in this version.

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools
kdm

Post by kdm »

I'm on 9.1 now and have been for the past week or so in various projects - no significant problems. Some issues I had with 9.02 seem to be fixed either intentionally or by virtue of another revision in 9.1.

OMF/AAF is still broken, but that isn't news, nor was a fix planned that I know of.

So far so good with 9.1, even with heavier loads.
kelldammit

Post by kelldammit »

A bit of necromancy, but i'm having the cpu trouble that some others (on both platforms) are reporting. A 30% cpu/0% resource project in 9.02 is unplayable for me in 9.1x. Even the DP demo project sends the cpu/resource hit into dropout land. This is at 1024 buffers.
NOTE: I never change buffer sizes, haven't had to in years. Lower buffers only boost cpu hit, with no appreciable change in latency. The babyface does some weird and wonderful magic, so 1024 buffers is ridiculously tight for virtual instruments (MIDI i/o is through the babyface) as well as through-software recording/monitoring(unless, of course, high-latency plugs are involved)...which is probably why I'm having the problem with 9.1x!

MOTU's aware, and 9.02's working well enough...but i am looking forward to some of the other fixes from 9.1x!
Feed the children! Preferably to starving wild animals.
ASUS 2.5ghz i7 laptop, 32Gb RAM, win10 x64, RME Babyface, Akai MPK-61, Some Plugins, Guitars and Stuff, Lava Lamps.
PoliticalBonobo

Post by PoliticalBonobo »

kelldammit wrote:A bit of necromancy, but i'm having the cpu trouble that some others (on both platforms) are reporting. A 30% cpu/0% resource project in 9.02 is unplayable for me in 9.1x. Even the DP demo project sends the cpu/resource hit into dropout land. This is at 1024 buffers.
NOTE: I never change buffer sizes, haven't had to in years. Lower buffers only boost cpu hit, with no appreciable change in latency. The babyface does some weird and wonderful magic, so 1024 buffers is ridiculously tight for virtual instruments (MIDI i/o is through the babyface) as well as through-software recording/monitoring(unless, of course, high-latency plugs are involved)...which is probably why I'm having the problem with 9.1x!

MOTU's aware, and 9.02's working well enough...but i am looking forward to some of the other fixes from 9.1x!
Have you had any luck with this? I just picked up an RME Fireface UFX. Lo and behold, DP9.1 is not running at all with it, like you describe. I tested on DP9.0, and it seems to run fine, but still not the low latency I would expect. RME is supposed to have the best drivers out there, so what's going on?
DP9.5 64bit, Windows 10 Pro 64bit, UA Apollo Quad FireWire interface, Desktop: Intel i7 5820K at 4.0ghz, MSI X99A Gaming 7 mobo, 48gb RAM (DDR4 at 2133 mhz), MSI GTX 960 2GD5T 2GB, 512GB Samsung 950 Pro m.2 SSD (project/system drive). VEP 6
1280bregs
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by 1280bregs »

PoliticalBonobo wrote:
kelldammit wrote:A bit of necromancy, but i'm having the cpu trouble that some others (on both platforms) are reporting. A 30% cpu/0% resource project in 9.02 is unplayable for me in 9.1x. Even the DP demo project sends the cpu/resource hit into dropout land. This is at 1024 buffers.

Have you had any luck with this? I just picked up an RME Fireface UFX. Lo and behold, DP9.1 is not running at all with it, like you describe. I tested on DP9.0, and it seems to run fine, but still not the low latency I would expect. RME is supposed to have the best drivers out there, so what's going on?
All Windows users should be running DP 9.13. Support for the RME driver was improved with this update.