Cant overwrite cc data

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
SchrodingersCat
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Cant overwrite cc data

Post by SchrodingersCat »

When recording new CC data into a track containing pre-existing CC data of the same type, with automation mode set to either latch or overwrite, DP records a seemingly random alternation between the old and new data (as I suppose one might expect when recording CC data in touch mode).

Is this a known problem?

Using 9.02, Windows 10/64bit
kdm

Re: Cant overwrite cc data

Post by kdm »

First, automation modes only apply to volume, pan and mute on MIDI tracks, and to automatable data on audio tracks.

Second, if you have Overdub enabled, DP will atttempt to merge old and new CC data. Turn off Overdub and you will be able to overwrite CC data on MIDI tracks. Hope that helps.
SchrodingersCat

KDM Thanks that certainly explains it.

But it may be bad news. I hope this doesn't mean that you need to develop a workflow with cc data in a separate track from the note data, so that you can overwrite the previous cc data without disturbing the note and velocity data (the reason that I was recording in overdub mode was to avoid altering the note data). That seems strange.

I think I just watched the CEO of Cinesamples record new cc 1 and cc 11 data on a track in DP 8 without disturbing the note data (video on their web site):
https://cinesamples.com/videos
"Live Composition Screencast - All New"

So maybe he's using TransMidiFier to merge the cc and note tracks outside DP - I'll ping him.
SchrodingersCat

I just re-watched the video I linked to above. You can see Mike overwriting cc 11 and cc 1 data, without overwriting note data, on the same track, at 10:50. Now I am puzzled.
kdm

Post by kdm »

There aren't any CC data points where he starts overdubbing. That's why Overdub works there.

If you already have curves, ramps, etc, overdubbing CC data is just going to result in staggered data points. I haven't found a way to isolate CC data for complete rewriting while notes are in overdub, or locked. I just select and delete if I'm re-recording CC for some reason, though 95% of the time I just tweak my realtime passes.