Error Importing MIDI files from BIAB

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
dmerkel
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Error Importing MIDI files from BIAB

Post by dmerkel »

Hi all,
I've run into a problem I've not encountered before: whenever I try importing a MIDI file, exported from Band in a Box, I'm getting this error in a popup window:

Digital Performer has encountered an error.
OS error:
Internal Program Error (null pointer) (-108)

I'm able to import MIDI from just about any source but BIAB. Tech support at both MOTU and PGMusic seem to be stumped - neither has seen it. Ironically (maybe), I can play the BIAB MIDI files in multiple Windows machines with just a media player, though that won't solve this.

Stats:
Windows 8.1 i5, 8G memory, 1 TB hard driver
DP 9.02
VEPro 5 running in server mode on a second machine for samples
BIAB 2016
MOTU 4-Pre interface
NI KK S88
Novation Launchkey 61

EDIT: I'm running DP and BIAB on the same machine.

I am hoping to import a couple riffs that I like, to run with samples from my library. Any suggestions or thoughts? I've been searching and reading but not finding anything to point me in the right direction.

Thanks gang!
Dave
The music comes out of me and into you and becomes all of us. Together we take that out into the world. ~adapt. fr B. McFerrin
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Error Importing MIDI files from BIAB

Post by mikehalloran »

Digital Performer has encountered an error.
OS error:
Internal Program Error (null pointer) (-108)
As you can see, it's a generic OS error. It is saying that your PC cannot write from or to whatever directory that has been specified.

This often means a bad sector on your drive.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
dmerkel

Post by dmerkel »

Thanks, Mike. Not the best news in the world, but nothing that can't be remedied with a little effort.
The music comes out of me and into you and becomes all of us. Together we take that out into the world. ~adapt. fr B. McFerrin
dmerkel

Post by dmerkel »

I ended up running multiple system tests; none returned any errors. I downloaded & installed a freeware MIDI editor. I opened a MIDI file exported from BIAB, resaved it as a different file name, and eureka, I successfully imported it into DP9 without any problems.

Since this only happens with MIDI files exported from BIAB, I've been on the phone with Kent from PGMusic - he's going to research it further. For now I can handle this extra workaround step, but hope some remedy can be found.
mr175

Post by mr175 »

Total noob here, and I'm having the exact same issue. I followed your advice, downloaded and installed "free MIDI Editor", and opened a MIDI file saved from my Roland Fantom. The file opened fine. I resaved it with a new name, opened DP, and it did not give me the error message. Unfortunately, it didn't give the file either. I looked in the Tracks, Sequence, and MIDI windows. There's nothing there?! So once I can get a file without the error, how do I access it? I thought "Import MIDI file as Sequence" would be the ticket to accessing all my songs imported from the Fantom. That way, I don't have to re-play them all - a LOT of work. Thx.
dmerkel

Post by dmerkel »

When resaving it in a generic MIDI editor, I "Save As" and give it a shorter filename than what BIAB assigns, something that better applies to the project/track. Then ...

In DP: Under File > Import MIDI File as a Sequence.
You'll find the file in the Chunks window. Drag and drop it from there to your sequence.

Hope that helps,
Dave
mr175

Post by mr175 »

I found the "Chunks" menu, and see the MIDI file. Can't wait to really try this out. Thanks!