Undo Errors

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
codamedia
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Undo Errors

Post by codamedia »

I am on the trial of DP8, and overall it is very stable.
I am getting one annoying little error.

When I use the UNDO (CTRL+Z) it throws a general windows error at least 75% of the time, but not always. This is from the menu or the shortcut.

The exact same procedure using UNDO PREVIOUS ACTION (CTRL+ALT+Z) never throws that error (at least not yet).

EDIT: I stand corrected. UNDO PREVIOUS ACTION (CTRL+ALT+Z) appears to be just as unstable as UNDO. For the record, I am running the program as an administrator. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Last edited by codamedia on Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
codamedia

Re: Undo Errors

Post by codamedia »

I believe I have managed to solve this problem. Since making just a single change in preferences, the UNDO has never crashed since. I'm cautiously optimistic :)

AUTOSAVE! By default this is set to autosave as a copy every 2 minutes. Disabling auto save has worked for me (I don't like auto save anyway) but even changing to "save document file" (not a copy) seemed to work as well.

This setting is under "Edit > Preferences > General > Document" for those that may be encountering the same problem.

UPDATE: Still getting a few errors here and there, but certainly better than before. I'm not 100% convinced this is the problem/solution, but for now it's seems to be helping - a little.
Last edited by codamedia on Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
codamedia

Post by codamedia »

Undo error have continues on my machine (2 different test machines) and have not been resolved before my demo expired.
Scottyprogrammer

Post by Scottyprogrammer »

This is an old topic, but I recently swtiched DP over to my new Windows based computer and I'm getting this error when I try to undo actions as well. This was the only post I found with the same issue I had and I'm not sure if this was solved.

Thanks,

Scott
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I got an UNDO caused crash on my Mac yesterday. First one since DP 8 was released (recently updated to new version).
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
kelldammit

Post by kelldammit »

when i was running the demo, i found that trying to ctrl+z undo after consolidating soundbites would crash without fail.

my real copy arrives tomorrow...it'd be lovely to get this sorted reasonably soon!
Feed the children! Preferably to starving wild animals.
ASUS 2.5ghz i7 laptop, 32Gb RAM, win10 x64, RME Babyface, Akai MPK-61, Some Plugins, Guitars and Stuff, Lava Lamps.
xmission

Post by xmission »

I actually screen captured this a while back for the MOTU guys, and they said that they hadn't seen it before.

I figured out that moving and clicking some of the things that you need to do in order to undo, actually deselects the tracks, and that is why it is throwing up the error. I don't know how to get around it.

Edit: I think I remember that hitting stop when you were recording actually deselected the tracks. It's been a while.

I wonder if you could avoid it if you used a keyboard shortcut, rather than the mouse.
newmotu

Post by newmotu »

Because of this bug, DP for win is unusable. Period.
I've been asking MOTU about this problem for almost an year. No reply wahtsoever. Another period.
xmission

Post by xmission »

NAMM is this week. Maybe they'll have a new version.
Amadhia

Post by Amadhia »

I have also experienced an "Unspecified Windows Error 32" when undoing immediately following recording a take, regardless of the length of the take.

The frequency of this error is 9 out of 10 times (90%)

I've gotten this error from the first time using DP 9.0 on an old system (WIN 7 pro) and am still getting the error after having just upgraded to a beast of a machine running Win 10, and DP 9.0.2.

It gets pretty frustrating when trying to keep the mood between vocal takes and serving as one's own audio engineer.
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by mikehalloran »

Because of this bug, DP for win is unusable. Period
Is it really a bug in DP? I think there should be a lot more posts if that were the case.

Has anyone run a debugging tool on this to see what is really happening?
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
garywilliamson1

Post by garywilliamson1 »

Hmm..I've been using DP9 on a W10 machine since February and I've yet to see this error. Hope you get it figured out.
DP10, Studio One 4 Pro
Dell XPS, i7, 32gb ram, Windows 10
UAD Apollo Twin USB
too many plugins
mesayre

Post by mesayre »

I also get these errors.

After recording a take (only audio, not MIDI), undo will usually throw an error code -32.

I can suggest a workaround and a (potential) solution.

Workaround: Clicking on a the track I just recorded, at some point before the recorded data, seems to allow me to undo normally...most of the time. But sometimes I still have to select "Undo previous action" from the edit menu.

Possible Solution: I think this may be related to DSP analysis, as I sometimes see "Analyze Beats" in the UNDO menu when I'm seeing the error (though that isn't consistent). I disabled DSP analysis in the prefs and the problem went away. Just try turning off everything in the "Background Processing" page of prefs.

A bit of a drag if you're doing a lot with tempo-synced soundbites, but you can always analyze them manually later.

I know a few of you were on demos, and I don't know if you ended up getting DP. But if you did, let us know if this fixes it for you - easier to go to the developers and ask them to look into it if the solution is repeatable.
DP 10 - Win 10 - Ultralite AVB