TV Game Show Music Underscore

For discussion of the music business in general

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
For discussion of the music business in general from studio administration, contracts, artist promotion, gigging, etc.
migmania
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

TV Game Show Music Underscore

Post by migmania »

I have a producer who likes a music theme I created for his tv game show and he asked me how much do I want for it. Well, since i am new to negotiating these sort of deals i was wondering where I can get more info. regarding fee range for this sort of thing. Or maybe you have encountered a similar situation as a composer. I have the film & TV music salary rate survery 2004 but it does not specifically address game show music. I know that this music would be used for every show aired for the whole season and beyond (45 sec. per show 5 days a week) and will go into syndication.

Any helpful article, links, or comments are appreciated.

Just trying to cover all basis before the lawyer calls to have me sign a contract on monday, thanks everyone.

have a great weekend.

shawn (composer)

PS - If there is another forum that might be more appropriate to address a question like this, that would be helpful as well, thanks.
DP Fanatic
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by DP Fanatic »

If it's going on stations which pay PPR through BMI/ASCAP and going into syndation and all, give it to him for as little as he wants to pay and collect your BMI checks.

Sorry so slow...
AJAzure

Post by AJAzure »

DP Fanatic wrote:If it's going on stations which pay PPR through BMI/ASCAP and going into syndation and all, give it to him for as little as he wants to pay and collect your BMI checks.

Sorry so slow...
unfortunatley not right. score gets paid dirt nothing in royalties by any PRO BMI, ASCAP or SESAC

Keep your rights, get a good fee AND chase your PRO as much as possible to get what you can.
westla

Post by westla »

AJAzure wrote:
DP Fanatic wrote:If it's going on stations which pay PPR through BMI/ASCAP and going into syndation and all, give it to him for as little as he wants to pay and collect your BMI checks.

Sorry so slow...
unfortunatley not right. score gets paid dirt nothing in royalties by any PRO BMI, ASCAP or SESAC
But Main Themes get paid extremely well, as compared to underscore.
AJAzure

Post by AJAzure »

westla wrote:
AJAzure wrote:

Sorry so slow...
But Main Themes get paid extremely well, as compared to underscore.
yeah but, still waaayyy underpaid. Regardles never ever ever expect money on the back end. Always make a deal that gives you a reasonable upfrint fee as well as back end possibilities. Never give all rights either. Only license.