WaveShell .vst failing check?

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
PoliticalBonobo
Primary DAW OS: Windows

WaveShell .vst failing check?

Post by PoliticalBonobo »

All of a sudden DP9.02 is failing WaveShell-VST 9.6_x64 during plugin check and I don't know why. Now DP doesn't show any available Waves plugins for me to use. I haven't used any Waves plugs for a while (maybe a week or two?) but now it doesn't work.

I've reinstalled my waves plugins through Waves Central multiple times and reinstalled DP9 and deleted the Preferences file. I don't understand what could've happened.

Edit: WaveShell .vst is in the folder it automatically installs to, Program Files -> VSTPlugins.
DP9.5 64bit, Windows 10 Pro 64bit, UA Apollo Quad FireWire interface, Desktop: Intel i7 5820K at 4.0ghz, MSI X99A Gaming 7 mobo, 48gb RAM (DDR4 at 2133 mhz), MSI GTX 960 2GD5T 2GB, 512GB Samsung 950 Pro m.2 SSD (project/system drive). VEP 6
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: WaveShell .vst failing check?

Post by bayswater »

I recently has a similar problem where a number of waves plugins disappeared for no reason I could see. I tried to reinstall, without success, and Waves support directed me to this page. Maybe you already did this, but if not, it worked for me. It involved deleting a lot of stuff in several steps.

http://www.waves.com/support/error-duri ... es-central
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
PoliticalBonobo

bayswater wrote:I recently has a similar problem where a number of waves plugins disappeared for no reason I could see. I tried to reinstall, without success, and Waves support directed me to this page. Maybe you already did this, but if not, it worked for me. It involved deleting a lot of stuff in several steps.

Thanks for the link. I went through the steps a few times but to no avail! I don't get it. Pretty frustrating. Guess I'll be making a call to Waves.
DP9.5 64bit, Windows 10 Pro 64bit, UA Apollo Quad FireWire interface, Desktop: Intel i7 5820K at 4.0ghz, MSI X99A Gaming 7 mobo, 48gb RAM (DDR4 at 2133 mhz), MSI GTX 960 2GD5T 2GB, 512GB Samsung 950 Pro m.2 SSD (project/system drive). VEP 6
PoliticalBonobo

Called Waves. Good customer service, but unfortunately they couldn't resolve the issue. I thought maybe it was the latest Windows 10 update that installed, so I uninstalled it. Still no luck.

Wow, this sucks! I'm not sure what's left besides reinstalling Windows. :vomit:
PoliticalBonobo

Got it working! :dance:
I uninstalled DP9, uninstalled my Waves Plugins (using Central) and uninstalled Central. Then I deleted any file that had 'Waves' in the name. Then I installed DP9, installed Central, copied my licenses back to the Waves Cloud, then I did the Easy Install of all the plugins. Restarted between all the uninstalls and installs. Voila!
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Waves is like lightning; it keeps striking again and again and again.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Mathematics

Post by Mathematics »

I'm glad you got it working! I ran into the same problem after the release of the new Waves update manager. It sounds like your problem may have been something a bit more serious but I am just volunteering this simple "click-and-drop" solution for others only because it worked for me. I would suggest to try this first as it will only take a few seconds. If it doesn't work, try the aforementioned post as your Plan B.
Anyway, the solution that worked for me was to simply copy the 64-bit WaveShell VST 9.x_x64.dll file from the new default location the manager installs to, back into your custom folder. Apparently the new Waves manager moves things around by default. Here's the link with the details:

http://www.waves.com/support/how-to-ins ... vst-folder
PC, Win7, DP 9.12, i7/Xeon multi-system gigabit network, Live 9 Suite, Pro Tools, M4L, Melodyne, Waves, Wave Arts, Native Instruments, Xfer, Spectralayers 3, Vienna, EastWest, Izotope, Mackie, Yamaha, AVID, Adobe, MOTU 2408mk3, ART, Rode, Tascam, Sennheiser, dbx, Korg, Akai
MichaelAshSharbaugh

Post by MichaelAshSharbaugh »

bayswater wrote:I recently has a similar problem where a number of waves plugins disappeared for no reason I could see. I tried to reinstall, without success, and Waves support directed me to this page. Maybe you already did this, but if not, it worked for me. It involved deleting a lot of stuff in several steps.

Thanks. About to try it after having the same prob as You [and others, apparently].
  • Apple Mac Pro [mid-2012] [Westmere] [model: A1289] [EMC: 2629] [5,1] | | CPU: 2 x 3.06GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon | RAM: 40GB | GPU: XFX AMD Radeon RX 580 GTS Black Core Edition 8GB GDDR5 -~-

-~- MAC OS X: 10.14.6 [Mojave] -~-

-~- DP version: 11.3 -~-

-~- MOTU 1248 MOTU 2408 | MOTU MIDI Express XT | MOTU MIDI Express 128 | MOTU MTP / AV | MOTU Video Timepiece | MOTU MicroBook -~-
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

MichaelAshSharbaugh wrote:

Thanks. About to try it after having the same prob as You [and others, apparently].
I since found this is related to having both V9 and V10 Waves plugins at the same time. Waves doesn't seem to have anticipated this. I had delete every Waves related file, install the V10 stuff with the most recent Waves Central, then install all the V9 stuff with an older version of WC. In that order.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
MichaelAshSharbaugh

bayswater wrote:
bayswater wrote:I recently has a similar problem where a number of waves plugins disappeared for no reason I could see ...

... http://www.waves.com/support/error-duri ... es-central
... related to having both V9 and V10 Waves plugins at the same time. Waves doesn't seem to have anticipated this ... had [to] delete every Waves[-]related file, install the V10 stuff with the most recent Waves Central, then install all the V9 stuff with an older version of WC. In that order.
Excellent. I appreciate Your getting back to Me [Us]. I'll try that, although I have since remembered that I had upgraded all My Waves V9s with V10s, so it's a li'l different in My [this] situation. Appreciate You. I'll let Everyone know how it goes momentarily ...
  • Apple Mac Pro [mid-2012] [Westmere] [model: A1289] [EMC: 2629] [5,1] | | CPU: 2 x 3.06GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon | RAM: 40GB | GPU: XFX AMD Radeon RX 580 GTS Black Core Edition 8GB GDDR5 -~-

-~- MOTU 1248 MOTU 2408 | MOTU MIDI Express XT | MOTU MIDI Express 128 | MOTU MTP / AV | MOTU Video Timepiece | MOTU MicroBook -~-
MichaelAshSharbaugh

PoliticalBonobo wrote:... copied my licenses back to the Waves Cloud, then I did the Easy Install of all the plugins. Restarted between all the uninstalls and installs. Voila! ...
Did You attempt any partial steps of the steps You outlined in Your post, like simply moving the Waves licenses into the Waves Cloud, and then migrating them back to Your computer?

I thought about that, and wondering if it will work. In the meantime, I'm going to attempt another forum-user's advice.

Thanks!

MichaelAshSharbaugh

Mathematics wrote:... the solution that worked for me was to simply copy the 64-bit WaveShell VST 9.x_x64.dll file from the new default location the manager installs to, back into your custom folder. Apparently the new Waves manager moves things around by default. Here's the link with the details:

I still have not tried other solutions found on this forum page, and just stumbled across yours, which seems SO much simpler. Thank You.

Everyone: the key to this quoted post is:

"How to Find Your Plugins in Digital Performer
Last updated on: 6/11/2018 7:46:26 AM

If you are trying to load your Waves plugins in Digital Performer but you cannot find them, follow these instructions in order to make them available.

Step #1 – Verify Plugin Installation
First, check whether the relevant plugin file/s are correctly installed on your computer:

Go to Macintosh HD > Applications > Waves > Plug-Ins V10.

The relevant plugin file will be named after the plugin, in this format: [PluginName].bundle. For example, the plugin file for Reel ADT will be named Reel ADT.bundle.

If the plugins you are looking for are not there, install the plugins by following the instructions in this link.

Step #2 – Rescan for Plugins
If the relevant plugin files are in the above folders, perform a rescan:

(a) Quit Digital Performer.

(b) In Finder, click on the Go menu, hold down the [Alt/Option] key and click on Library.

(c) Go to Preferences > com.motu.MotuAudioSystem. In this folder, drag Audio Unit Info Cache to your desktop.

(d) Still in the Preferences folder, move the Waves Preferences folder to your desktop.

(e) Go to Macintosh HD > Applications > Waves > Waveshells V10 and run Waves AU Reg Utility.

(f) Click Let’s Go.

(g) If asked to Locate the Waves Plugins Folder, direct to Macintosh HD > Applications > Waves > Plug-Ins V10.
Run Digital Performer.
Go to Digital Performer > Preferences.
In the Preferences window, select the General > Audio Plugins category.
Use the set “Enable All” at the top. Save the existing set if needed.
Make sure your Waves plugins are check-marked. If they are not, highlight them (hold the [Command/Apple] key to highlight multiple choices) and click Reexamine.
Once the rescan is done, create a new project with a supported sample rate, add a track and load your Waves plugins.

None of the above worked? Contact Technical Support."

MichaelAshSharbaugh

Mathematics wrote:... the solution that worked for me was to ..." [remember, this solution is for PC/Windows] ... "simply copy the 64-bit WaveShell VST 9.x_x64.dll file from the new default location the manager installs to, back into your custom folder. Apparently the new Waves manager moves things around by default. Here's the link with the details:

I still have not tried other solutions found on this forum page, and just stumbled across yours, which seems SO much simpler. Thank You.

Everyone: the key to this ["Mathematic's"] quoted post is:

"How to Find Your Plugins in Digital Performer
Last updated on: 6/11/2018 7:46:26 AM

If you are trying to load your Waves plugins in Digital Performer but you cannot find them, follow these instructions in order to make them available.

Step #1 – Verify Plugin Installation
First, check whether the relevant plugin file/s are correctly installed on your computer:

Go to Macintosh HD > Applications > Waves > Plug-Ins V10.

The relevant plugin file will be named after the plugin, in this format: [PluginName].bundle. For example, the plugin file for Reel ADT will be named Reel ADT.bundle.

If the plugins you are looking for are not there, install the plugins by following the instructions in this link.

Step #2 – Rescan for Plugins
If the relevant plugin files are in the above folders, perform a rescan:

(a) Quit Digital Performer.

(b) In Finder, click on the Go menu, hold down the [Alt/Option] key and click on Library.

(c) Go to Preferences > com.motu.MotuAudioSystem. In this folder, drag Audio Unit Info Cache to your desktop.

(d) Still in the Preferences folder, move the Waves Preferences folder to your desktop.

(e) Go to Macintosh HD > Applications > Waves > Waveshells V10 and run Waves AU Reg Utility.

(f) Click Let’s Go.

(g) If asked to Locate the Waves Plugins Folder, direct to Macintosh HD > Applications > Waves > Plug-Ins V10.
Run Digital Performer.
Go to Digital Performer > Preferences.
In the Preferences window, select the General > Audio Plugins category.
Use the set “Enable All” at the top. Save the existing set if needed.
Make sure your Waves plugins are check-marked. If they are not, highlight them (hold the [Command/Apple] key to highlight multiple choices) and click Reexamine.
Once the rescan is done, create a new project with a supported sample rate, add a track and load your Waves plugins.

None of the above worked? Contact Technical Support."
I slowly and meticulously followed the above quoted instructions, and it worked: My Waves plug-ins have re-appeared, and are re-activated and working, in DP10. (All except My Aphex Aural Exciter, which I am going to re-install; I think this is just a fluke.)

So, if Your Waves plug-ins/plugins have disappeared from Digital Performer/DP 10 [DP10], or, if DP10 informs You that there are not licenses for Your Waves plug-ins, try the above quoted instructions. They work.

Thanx to All of You who have assisted Me.

Best,

~ Michael