Best practice: Real-time vs. Pre-Gen?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
jloeb
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Best practice: Real-time vs. Pre-Gen?

Post by jloeb »

Frodo wrote:
James Steele wrote:
MIDI Life Crisis wrote:I get senior discounts at Denny's! Now all I have to do is bring myself to actually eat the crap they sell and my world will be perfect. LOL!
Hey if you're not going to eat your country fried steak & eggs, I'll take it!
Their pancakes aren't bad, either!
Four words: Moons Over My Hammy
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

A Denny's on the east side of Seattle, right off the freeway near my hotel, made the best breakfast (including the most perfect hash browns) that I've had in years.

Now, IHOP... that's nasty.

Although nowhere near as nasty as Waffle House, which was accurately described thusly by Jim Gaffigan: "If you've never been to a Waffle House, imagine a gas station bathroom.... that serves waffles."
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
kgdrum

Post by kgdrum »

Gravity Jim wrote:A Denny's on the east side of Seattle, right off the freeway near my hotel, made the best breakfast (including the most perfect hash browns) that I've had in years.

Now, IHOP... that's nasty.

Although nowhere near as nasty as Waffle House, which was accurately described thusly by Jim Gaffigan: "If you've never been to a Waffle House, imagine a gas station bathroom.... that serves waffles."
Well in the South East the Waffle House's I've been to are actually quite good.
Virginia,North and South Carolina etc....
My ex who's French with a picky foodie attitude still raves about Waffle House,lol!
2012 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 core 96 gig,Mojave, DP11.01,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 12U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, Mimic Pro w/ SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata...........
jloeb

Post by jloeb »

kgdrum wrote:My ex who's French with a picky foodie attitude still raves about Waffle House,lol!
Hmm. Those waffles have terroir.
kgdrum

Post by kgdrum »

Mmmm looks tasty! ;-)
2012 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 core 96 gig,Mojave, DP11.01,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 12U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, Mimic Pro w/ SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata...........
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Denny's? Really? Must be different south of 49.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

They even have a hobbit menu.

I wouldn't advise doing the pancakes in pre-gen mode, tho'. One might discover an "unexpected journey" of their own. :wink:
6,1 MacPro, 96GB RAM, macOS Monterey 12.7, macOS 10.14, DP9.52
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

o/t/t post edited...
Last edited by MIDI Life Crisis on Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

:shake:
6,1 MacPro, 96GB RAM, macOS Monterey 12.7, macOS 10.14, DP9.52
twistedtom

Post by twistedtom »

I stay way from pregen resturaunts and mostly go to real food resturants.
Most of my projects are not so large that I need to use percent or freze tracts. The 32bit limit is more of a handymcapmto me, So I am running in 64bits for most things.
Mac Pro 2.8G 8 core,16G ram, 500GB SSD, 2x2TB HD.s 3TB HD, Extn Backup HDs,Nvd 8800 & ATI 5770 video cards,DP8 on OS 10.6.8 and OS 10.8; MOTU 424PCIe, MOTU 2408; Micro express. Video editing deck on firewire, a bunch of plug-ins and VI's.Including; MX3 and M5-3. FCP, Adobe Production Bundle CS6. PCM88mx, some vintage synths linked by MIDI. Mackie 16-4 is my main mixers
, kelsey and Yamaha mixers, Rack of gear. Guitars, piano, PA and more stuff.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Usually, I use real-time plugins and VI's. One reason for this is that I leave my plugin windows open a lot -- in other "spaces." When plugin windows are open, they run in real-time.

I've had pretty good luck with pre-gen plugins, but often I just can't use them that way.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
csavetman

Post by csavetman »

In case anyone is interested, it seems Metric Halo's Channel Strip V3 doesn't like pre-gen mode as well. I noticed some random clicks and pops on a vocal track with the plugin inserted. With the plugin window open, the clicks went away. Set it to run real time, no problems.

Carlos

DP 8.05
OS 10.8.5
Mac Pro Dual Quad Core 2.8GHZ
jpetrisko

Post by jpetrisko »

I concur. Working on a session with only a couple plugins I wouldn't normally use, MH Channelstrip and WavesTune LT, I was getting random clicks and artifacts that were driving me bonkers. Even upon bounce to disc. Different spots every single time. Switching from pregen to realtime made fixed everything.
Babz
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Babz »

I always have the default "pregen when possible" on and have rarely had issues, but one time I was getting this sudden and mysterious beachball problem and traced it to a particular Kontakt instrument I had programmed myself (phrase samples mapped across the full 88-note keyboard; beachballs only when that particular Kontakt program was loaded in a project). Switching that one instance to real time got rid of the beachball.

In general, I say leave it on. But the key things to bear in mind are:

- Remember to close your plugin windows or you won't see any benefit.

- Remember that you have it on, so that if you DO see any weirdness, you can try selectively switching to real time as trouble-shooting technique.

This SOS article by the ever-brilliant DP boffin, Robin "Biggie" Bigwood, nicely lays out the scoop on pregen:

https://www.soundonsound.com/sos/dec08/ ... rkshop.htm

Babz

P.S. Drawn to Denny's hash browns like catnip.