Nondescript Video error, 64-bit only

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
mesayre
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Nondescript Video error, 64-bit only

Post by mesayre »

Hey all,
Hoping you can help me out with this - sometime in the spring I started having a strange error with DP 8.07. If I load a video, then click on the little triangle menu to do something like change the size or import audio, it doesn't open, and I get a popup that just says "Digital Performer has encountered an error". There is no error code or further information. Right clicking on the video window, which should open the same menu, does nothing at all, not even generate an error. It seems to happen with every video file I can find, regardless of format. But, the 32-bit version of DP does not suffer from this problem. The aforementioned menu works just fine with the very same videos if I open in 32-bit. These videos also play just fine in Sonar Platinum 64-bit and Pro Tools 11.

I had a techlink going with MOTU the last time this happened, and they concluded that it was probably a corruption specific to my system, and said I should re-install windows. That did fix it for a time, but now it's come back, so I'm either very unlucky or something more significant is at play.

Here are things I've done to troubleshoot:

Moving the video file to the same folder as the project.
Deleting Prefs.
Reinstalling DP.
Updating Quicktime.
Rolling back to a previous version of DP.
Uninstalling K-lite codec pack.
Upgrade video driver.
Full Windows install

The only thing that did work was a full OS re-install. So I suspect that means there's a windows update that is mucking things up. Why this would be unique to my system, I do not know. I'm happy to try to research the issue, but I don't even have an error code to work with. I've poked my head into the 'event viewer' to try and find any telling error logs, but I can't find much from DP.

Anyone had an experience with this, or any tips for diagnosing the problem? I really want to work in DP, but no 64-bit just kills me. Thanks!

System info:

Win 7x64
Intel i7-2630QM
Graphics: Nvidia GeForce 460M
16 GB memory
DP 10 - Win 10 - Ultralite AVB
mesayre

Re: Nondescript Video error, 64-bit only

Post by mesayre »

I'm still having this problem in DP8 on Windows 10. Trying DP9 didn't fix it either.

Guys at MOTU are telling me my only recourse is to wipe the system and install things one at a time. Major bummer.

Anyone else seen any bizarre errors like this, or have a troubleshooting tip?

Thanks,
Mike
Scorer

Post by Scorer »

did you ever figure out what caused this error to occur ?
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Not on a PC here so can't help with system troubleshooting. What I am wondering (and I don't think it should really matter but I'll throw it out there) is if the sample rate of the videos are at one rate (48k or 44.1k) and the sample rate of the session is another.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Scorer

Post by Scorer »

I've tested different sample rate settings and same result. I installed DP 9.12 on two different Windows machines, using the same video files, none of them exhibit this behavior. One is also running Win 8.1 x64 - which is what this production machine here runs.

Cannot re-install the entire OS :-(

I though maybe a plugin is causing the issue so I disabled all plugins, and also temporarily renamed all plugin directories to make sure they do not get scanned... did not help.
MIDI Life Crisis

But it's only in DP that this happens? If so, then I would firstly, reinstall DP and perhaps try a different (earlier) version.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Scorer

Post by Scorer »

yeah tried that, re-installed DP 9.12 and then after that also tried 9.02... same thing. Like I wrote earlier, this only happens on this one production machine.

I can load a video, and even play it, but when I click the little flyout menu in the video window a message pops up "DP has encountered an error". Right clicking on the video does nothing.

on 2 other machines that I've tried DP 9.12 does not behave like this and movies/videos work just fine.
terrybritton

Post by terrybritton »

Scorer wrote:yeah tried that, re-installed DP 9.12 and then after that also tried 9.02... same thing. Like I wrote earlier, this only happens on this one production machine.

I can load a video, and even play it, but when I click the little flyout menu in the video window a message pops up "DP has encountered an error". Right clicking on the video does nothing.

on 2 other machines that I've tried DP 9.12 does not behave like this and movies/videos work just fine.
Are they all using Nvidia graphics cards? Nvidia drivers have been acting up for me lately -- had to do the custom install and uncheck the two 3D items AND the HD Audio driver, checking the box at the bottom that said "perform a clean install". Only on one machine did I have issues (the Dell, which otherwise is magnificent).

My issues were MIDI and Audio ones, though.

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools
Scorer

Post by Scorer »

Hi Terry,

when you say "custom, clean install" are you referring to the Nvidia drivers or to the DP installation ?

Thanks.
terrybritton

Post by terrybritton »

Scorer wrote:Hi Terry,

when you say "custom, clean install" are you referring to the Nvidia drivers or to the DP installation ?

Thanks.
The Nvidia installation.

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

Scorer

Post by Scorer »

thanks, I'll try that
Scorer

Post by Scorer »

I updated the Nvidia drivers with a clean install, only installed drivers nothing else. does not help.

this particular production machine has 4 x GPU - 1x Quadro and 3x GTX. I removed the Quadro from the system just to see whether that would help, it did not.

The other two machines that I tested DP 9.12 on use either an ATI GPU or also a Nvidia GPU. No issues there.

I think it's weird that on this machine here, you can add a video/movie in DP, you can play the movie (picture works with sound), but when trying to access the flyout menu to change the video settings, it then throws this unspecified error.

I originally wanted to stream video from a different machine anyways, but since MMC still seems to not work with DP, I wanted to give the internal video engine a shot... :-/
terrybritton

Post by terrybritton »

That is such a bummer when only one machine in your setup seems to have some buggy thing you cannot figure out! It could be one of those "chipset" issues. I read somewhere very recently of someone updating their BIOS and having that miraculously fix a long-standing issue they had had.

Well, at least you have a backup plan!

Terry
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

mesayre

Post by mesayre »

Hey all,
I did eventually make some progress on this - try creating a new user account and log in as that user. That resolves the issue for me on Win10. But I haven't been bothered by the problem enough to move all my stuff over to another user account.

Not sure why that would be the cause, but it seems to be.

Mike
MIDI Life Crisis

Most likely there is some video or other program (extension, plug-in, what have you) running in your auto-start folder (or whatever it's called on a pc) that is conflicting with the process. New user accounts don't (usually) access all that extra crap and thus the offending application can't interfere with the conversion process taking place in DP.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS