Machfive 4 this year?

Discussion of all things related to MOTU's awesome MachFive software sampler.

Moderator: James Steele

Robert Randolph
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Machfive 4 this year?

Post by Robert Randolph »

mikehalloran wrote:
Can you provide a link to this thread?
I typed KVR and Falcon into a search engine and found this:
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6279843
The big thread is here: http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 1&t=449200
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Robert Randolph wrote:The big thread is here: http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 1&t=449200
Whoa! Well I read the 45 pages to find out that sfz is the only 3rd party sample format supported. Some users have tried and failed to import sf2 and EXS24. Now we know. Whew!

This about says it best, IMO:
aMUSEd wrote:
I really want to play with this but need to wait now till I know what the situation is as a recent MachFive owner.
First off, Falcon is not MachFive 4. For many of us, it's not an adequate replacement for MachFive3.2.1. Doesn't matter how many insist that it is, as long as it can't handle the same sample formats, doesn't include Biosphere and many other features, then it isn't. That's ok, actually.

The Falcon synth engine is very nice it that's what you are looking for but the UVI product lacks too many of the features that M53 owners like I use.

...The inability of Falcon to import sf2 and EXS24 files is a deal killer for me. That's ok, others will be able to use this tool.

There have been hints that M5 owners will be pleased with an upcoming announcement. That's nice. If it's an inexpensive cross-grade, I might go for it (or not). If MachFive 4 is on its way, that will be better and I'm in.
BTW, here's the Falcon manual:
https://s3.amazonaws.com/uvi/UVIFC/falcon_manual.pdf
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
UltimateOutsider

Post by UltimateOutsider »

Every MachFive feature I've ever used for sound design is in Falcon, in the same place; it's unquestionably the same code base. Falcon is more like MachFive 3 than even UVI's own free Workstation plugin.

And without any formal comment from MOTU or UVI on the relationship between the Falcon and MachFive product lines, we have zero real information on the future of MOTU's MachFive.

If MOTU proceeds with development of MachFive, there are several possibilities:
  • Brand new code base (from-the-ground-up rewrite) flying under the MachFive banner.
  • Iterative update from MachFive 3, that retains the MachFive library and input formats and includes new features NOT included in Falcon. (A "fork" of the MachFive code.)
  • Re-branded Falcon?
I only use MachFive/Falcon for original sound design or for getting better control over the UVI libraries, so import formats aren't important to me personally, but I understand how it could be a dealbreaker for some.

I just want to note that it's not unprecedented for a new version of a product to include fewer features and less compatibility than its predecessors.

Native Instruments completely re-wrote Battery for version 4, and in doing so they actually killed a lot of unique usability features that made Battery 3 a great tool for building your own drum kits. It's still called "Battery 4" but it is NOT the same tool that Battery 3 was.

More recently, IK Multimedia dropped some usability and flexibility when moving from SampleTank 2 to 3. Unless they've added something in updates, SampleTank 3 lacks ST2's ability to map presets to program changes, so you can no longer use it as a true GM instrument. Also, the free version of SampleTank 2 opened more file formats/libraries than the free version of SampleTank 3, which now only opens official ST3 content.

For you guys holding out for a true MOTU-branded MachFive 4, I hope MOTU delivers something that meets your expectations. Falcon is the "MachFive 4" I personally had been waiting for, and I've already migrated to using it exclusively.
billf

Post by billf »

UltimateOutsider wrote:And without any formal comment from MOTU or UVI on the relationship between the Falcon and MachFive product lines, we have zero real information on the future of MOTU's MachFive.
Until the dust is settled, the same can be said of Falcon. As of this moment one can purchase MachFive and Falcon, but none of us know what may be going on behind the scenes between the two companies at the present time, and as such, what the outcome will be.
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
magicmusik
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by magicmusik »

UltimateOutsider wrote:
More recently, IK Multimedia dropped some usability and flexibility when moving from SampleTank 2 to 3. Unless they've added something in updates, SampleTank 3 lacks ST2's ability to map presets to program changes, so you can no longer use it as a true GM instrument. Also, the free version of SampleTank 2 opened more file formats/libraries than the free version of SampleTank 3, which now only opens official ST3 content.
this can not compare, because ST2 was only 32 bit. so they need change code to work for 64 but. but machfive 3 with the sf2 and other instrument load is 64 but. so it is more easy to implement old code.

but anyway i notice now that falcon have sfz import. so i remind there can use converter. i look(but not test) and i find this sf2 to sfz konverter

http://audio.clockbeat.com/sfZed.html

maybe a falcon user who like or have sf2 files, can test. seem free
UltimateOutsider

Post by UltimateOutsider »

magicmusik wrote:but anyway i notice now that falcon have sfz import. so i remind there can use converter. i look(but not test) and i find this sf2 to sfz konverter

http://audio.clockbeat.com/sfZed.html

maybe a falcon user who like or have sf2 files, can test. seem free
This morning I tried opening some SF2 and SFZ files in both MachFive and Falcon.

The only SF2 files I have are the Arachnoid and Merlin GM banks, and the only SFZ I have are the ones that came with Plogue Sfzorzando.

MachFive: Could open my SF2 banks, but not any of the SFZ files.

Falcon: Could not open either the SF2 files or the SFZ files.

Someone on KVR said that at this time Falcon only opens "simple" SFZ files, whereas the Plogue ones include some scripting that Falcon doesn't support. Simon S. of Patchpool posted a video demonstrating how to import SFZ into Falcon, so it does apparently work if you have the right SFZs...

(Tried embedding the SFZ import YouTube video in the post with the YouTube tag, but didn't work for me. Here's a direct link.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTMCL2Asepk
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Yesterday, I tried opening a few VIs I bought recently from UVI. As reported earlier, the latest ones do not open in MachFive3. I found this to be true getting an error that I must update to a later version (than 3.2.1?). :oops: Retro Organs Suite is one of them; the older Retro Organs opens fine as it always did.

Fortunately, they all open in the free UVI player.

I have some Pipeloops libraries in sf2. MachFive is the only thing I have that opens them. This saves me from having to deal with HauptWerk.

So, while I would buy an upgrade from MachFive, I am not ready for Falcon unless there's a really nice crossgrade offer on the table. $229+coupon isn't sweet enough to pry my wallet open.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
jloeb

Post by jloeb »

Announcement regarding M53 owners due from UVI tomorrow.
Hope they make it good.
MartinBaird

Post by MartinBaird »

The cross grade is $179 according to the email from uvi I just received. I'll probably pass on it.
Martin
Martin Baird
martin@vmw.us
DP 10, MachFive, Electric Keys, 828es, MTP A/V USB
Mac Pro 2 x 3.33 GHz Six-Core, Mac OS X 10.14.6
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

MartinBaird wrote:The cross grade is $179 according to the email from uvi I just received. I'll probably pass on it.
Martin
Yea, me too.
billf

Post by billf »

MartinBaird wrote:The cross grade is $179 according to the email from uvi I just received. I'll probably pass on it.
Martin
Exactly my thought too. The interesting thing is the email has no mention of MachFive, it only refers to helping "legacy customers migrate to Falcon." I have the impression they are guessing I own MachFive based on my library purchases. The offer is also time bound, ending on Feb. 1 2016.
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

I bought it before the offer was up, Best Service shaved $21 off the price with their holiday sale. My guess was that people who had bought before UVI came up with an offer to M53 owners would be offered a voucher worth twice as much as the cash value of the difference:

$229 - 179 = $40 discount (and very close to the price of upgrading M52 to 3)
I paid $208 with Best Service's Halloween discount, and get an additional $100 UVI voucher.
So I paid $29 for a $100 voucher. :headbang:

Personally Already I would say that UVI are taking M53 in the right direction. The included presets sound fantastic, and the new features are great. It loads all M53 content just fine, and all UVI content of course. The caveat that it does not covert other libraries is disappointing, but in at least that functionality M53 should work for a long time since it loads stand alone as well as inside DP etc.
I always thought M53 would be a great live synth/sampler what with its key split ability etc. but I would not want to use iLok protected software live. So I'm happy to be able to authorize my laptop instead of the iLok.

Over all I'm happy with my choice, I get that others might not be as excited by all this, even annoyed, but I can't join you there. I'm really liking where UVI are taking M53 code. It feels like a more extensible more in depth tweak-able and cheaper version of Omnisphere 2.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

And remind me again what the great advantage over M5-3 is?
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
billf

Post by billf »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:And remind me again what the great advantage over M5-3 is?
Hype. :wink:

Paulformer
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Paulformer »

I have a theory about all this MachFive Falcon stuff. Hope you don't mind me sharing and let me know what you think...
There has been no behind the others back development. MOTU has known about UVI's development and plans for Falcon ( and perceived MachFive4 ) and perhaps even shook hands over releasing licensing etc. UVI gets a revenue upgraded version of the UVI's Workstation and MOTU's plans are....

To release their MachFive integrated with D.P. 10 when it comes out perhaps sometime later next year. This would be like when they included MX4 with DP9.

MOTU knows they have to stay competitive on the DAW scene with Logic and others and this move would certainly do so plus be the huge update needed to move from 9 to the number 10!! And it wouldn't be MachFive 3 or 4 it would just be MachFive that ships or downloads with DP10. Then they just upgrade the internal MachFive within DP as it goes to 11 and up! I could see them scripting and programming special new features between Mach Five and DP.

This gives both company's the freedom to develop their previously shared software in their own directions with huge benefits for both.

Even If this is not the case wouldn't it be a good plan for MOTU to marry DP and MachFive?

So, any thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk