Memory Cycle - first note dropped on repeat

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
kdm
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Memory Cycle - first note dropped on repeat

Post by kdm »

With MIDI tracks, I'm finding that Memory Cycle always drops the first note of the section on repeat, even if the note start is on or just after the first beat (I've found the first note has to be close to a 16th after the first beat, over 100bpm or so, to prevent it from being dropped).

Repro:
1 - Record MIDI phrase
2 - Hard quantize to ensure notes don't start before the first beat
3 - Set memory cycle
4 - On playback start, from the first bar of the cycle, the first notes play, but on each repeat, the first note is dropped.

Is this a known issue? Any solution?

So far my only workaround is to shift the memory cycle range just before the first beat of the first bar, and ending the same amount just before the end of the last bar (when having a bar to bar repeat section is necessary).
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Memory Cycle - first note dropped on repeat

Post by bayswater »

Not an issue I know about, at least on the Mac. Do you have some sort of timing or grid offset in effect?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Robert Randolph

Post by Robert Randolph »

Do you have any latency inducing plugins on the track or sends?

I've had that cause similar issues in the past.
kdm

Post by kdm »

I do have latency plugins (convo and algo reverbs) on sends, but plugin delay compensation should adjust for that. If it works on first playback, it should work on repeats as well.

I'll test tomorrow. If that is the cause, it could be a bug in PDC. I have seen delays when editing MIDI during playback - DP will lag on that track a bit while processing edit changes.

As far as I know I don't have an offset (is there a memory cycle offset somewhere?).
blueslash

Post by blueslash »

I know this is an old post, but I ran into this issue today. First notes would only play if I set my loop points (highlight with selector) on the MIDI track that wouldn't play first notes on repeat. If I set the loop points anywhere else, I'd get the same problem.

Strange :shock:
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

This is worrying. Seems to fall into this category of problems that MOTU needs to address. It would be good if you could send the tracks (and all other pertinent details about your system) to MOTU to see if they can replicated it on their end.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
blueslash

Post by blueslash »

Yeah, I have a list of things, but I'm waiting until I upgrade to 9. Hoping a lot of my bugs are related to DP being the first version for PC.

Came across a similar problem in the song window. If I repeat a chunk by dragging from Chunks window (or alt dragging in the song window), all the repeated chunks don't play everything at the beginning of the chunk, but everything kicks in by about the second beat.

Strangely, if I duplicate the chunk and drag the duplicate in, all is fine.