Item Info / Save Dialogues - best way to use Documents etc

Discussion of issues related to MOTU's Sysex Editor/Librarian program.

Moderator: James Steele

toppo
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Item Info / Save Dialogues - best way to use Documents etc

Post by toppo »

I now like this new version of Unisyn ... it's stable and powerful.
But it's written as a database - there's a blank page effect - it's openness - that makes it a bit cryptic as to how you can work with it to best advantage. It puts all the organisational responsibility onto you ...
The Info dialogue prompts that come up when saving (after a few saves they start) are very confusing ... the more data you have the worse they can get.

I don't know how others use Documents in Unisyn ... (I have different Documents for each different synth, and one for Snapshots) ... but the thing about this OSX version that confused me (and I think should be better illustrated in the manual) is how best to name/update info ... and so avoid getting masses of items with the same name all in the same document... and it then sometimes won't allow you to delete older same-named items:

Like anybody else I edit Banks or Patches i.e. Combis / Multis / Performaces, as I go along ... and neurotically saving every 30 seconds to avoid data loss.
But it's maddening when the Save Info dialogues can come up and inform you nothing was saved - even though you might actually changed the name of the patch or Performance or Bank (in their own window) ... or they tell you (in a Document window ) that you cannot delete something from a previous incarnation of the same Performance file cause it has "children' etc ...
Anyway ... I've found that for me the way around this is to manage any changes to Name or Comment from the Document Window ... by Command I (Get Info) - and save Document - do it all there ... this is assuming you are updating Info on the latest saved version of the patch ie. in which all sound parameters are current ! And if needed delete older same-named version right then.

This way I found I was able to get rid - eventually - of lots of same named items - and from then on be circumspect about how I carry on.
Steve