Anyone slaving another computer to display movie

Digital Perfomer in the context of television/film scoring and post-production.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for discussion related to the use of Digital Perfomer in the context of television and film scoring and post-production.
dewdman42
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Anyone slaving another computer to display movie

Post by dewdman42 »

In DP did you go into bundles, select the interface in question and hit the edit button and make sure to check the MMC checkbox there. Maybe that's what you meant, but its not really the actual driver, its a DP configuration in DP's understanding of what it can send to the interface.
5,1 MacPro 3.46ghz x 12 cores,96gb, Monterey (OpenCore), Lynx AES16e-50+X32
donadi

Post by donadi »

Thanks dewdman, but I did this in bundles as well as in the MIDI/Audio Config on the OS, which is essentially the same thing and they both have the MMC checked.
I would like to know if anyone is slaving another computer through hardware MIDI and is able to use MMC to control it, i'm not talking about MTC, in fact Pro Tools (on my slave) syncs up perfectly with MTC, the issue that I have is with MMC, in order to use frame by frame cueing and all.
From what i've read on this thread, i'm not the only one having this problem, I was just wondering if it was from the fact that my MIDI interface is not MOTU.

Thank you
Dani
Dani Donadi

MacPro OS10.9, Macbook Pro OS 10.10 DP9, Logic Pro X, Pro Tools 12, Cubase 8, Sibelius 8, Kontakt 5, all Sample Modeling,VEP5, EW Play, MSI, Multiple Libraries
dewdman42

Post by dewdman42 »

You know, now that you mention it, I vaguely recall more than 10 years ago struggling with some MMC issues when I was trying to use a 3rd party transport device. I vaguely recall that basically you had to have one of the more advanced MOTU interfaces which has MMC functionality built into it and I am suspicious right now that MOTU intentionally disables direct MMC from DP so that their more advanced MIDI devices can handle that task. Dp tells the Timepiece to send MMC and then the timepiece itself sends the MMC...something like that. I can't be certain about that now, but I vaguely recall inquiring about it too and getting some answer like that.

In any case, clearly MMC in DP is broken somehow and it sounds like you have DP configured exactly as its supposed to be configured. Its a real shame because frame by frame is essential for film work and DP is supposed to be the king tool for composing to film. Yet this one little annoying problem is very limiting for many people trying to syncronize different software or hardware devices. I think MOTU may still have have old technology carry over from the days when people had to buy sophisticated external devices (from MOTU) that syncronized video equipment, and in that mode in those days it was an elegant solution. But these days most of that equipment is not neccessary or desireable, none of us have it and will ever get it, so MOTU needs to make sure MMC will function between software, including over IAC and network MIDI...so that we can sync up any tool or hardware we feel like syncing up and get frame by frame accuracy..especially when jogging the shuttle a few frames at a time to find hit points, etc.

Like I said, send a request to MOTU about this. I did. They won't fix it until enough people ask for it.
bralston

Post by bralston »

dewdman42 wrote:so MOTU needs to make sure MMC will function between software, including over IAC and network MIDI...so that we can sync up any tool or hardware we feel like syncing up and get frame by frame accuracy..especially when jogging the shuttle a few frames at a time to find hit points, etc.
As an update...MOTU just added this in DP 9.01
Regards,

Brian Ralston

- MacPro 7,1 3.2 GHz 16-core Intel Xeon W, 384GB 2933MHz DDR4 RAM, OS 10.15.7, 2TB SSD OS drive, 6TB Samsung Pro EVOPlus SSDs via Sonnet 4x4 M.2 PCIe card, Graphics card: AMD Radeon Pro Vega II 32GB, UAD-2 Quad, DP 10.13, DP 11.0,
- 15" MacBook Pro 2.3GHz 8‑core 9th‑generation Intel Core i9 processor, Turbo Boost to 4.8GHz, 32GB 2400MHz DDR4 mem, Radeon Pro Vega 20 w/4GB HBM2 mem, 2TB SSD storage, OS 10.15.7, 2TB SSD, DP 10.13
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Good news!
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Here's an updated link.

http://www.non-lethal-applications.com/ ... -slave-2-0

The link quoted now dead... Thanks for the info Brian.
bralston wrote:VideoSlave is your friend here. Made for this purpose and does it extremely well. While it should work, salving to another DAW is a bit over overkill. Get their demo and see what you think.

http://www.non-lethal-applications.com/ ... slave.html

FYI...DP will not send MMC over network MIDI ports only MTC can be sent over network MIDI. So if you want scrubbing, MMC has to come from DP via hardwired MIDI cables. Otherwise...MTC can be sent over ethernet from DP and it VideoSlave will sync to it in less than an second.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
dewdman42

Post by dewdman42 »

really wow! Glad to hear that!
dewdman42

Post by dewdman42 »

braiston, have you tried video slave with DP9 yet to see if scrubbing now works without a MIDI cable?
lydian91

Post by lydian91 »

I'm curious to know if anyone has gotten scrubbing to work with DP9 and Video Slave. I'm running DP and VS on the same machine, and MTC is of course working fine via IAC (but no MMC).

My next thought was to try linking the two apps via the MIDI ports on my Focusrite interface. Figured that might work since DP's MMC capability works with physical MIDI interfaces (or so I thought). Couldn't even get MTC to work with that setup, so I'm stumped.

Do I need to have a MOTU MIDI interface for this to work? Is scrubbing in VS from DP even possible? At this point, the setup doesn't matter (i.e. virtual or physical MIDI). I'm just looking for a way to have scrubbing work at all.
Mac Studio M2 Ultra (192GB RAM) | macOS 13.5.2 | MOTU M4 | DP 11.3
lydian91

Post by lydian91 »

I recently contacted the Video Slave developer about this MMC issue. Here is his reply:
I have indeed been in touch with MOTU more than a year back already and even received an NFR license of DP 9. They told me that it would work now with 9.01. I tried it but couldn’t get it to work. I got in touch again but didn’t get a reply. I just recently got a new contact at MOTU. I will try to contact him to find out if there’s any news about this. I’ll keep you posted!

Thanks and best regards,

Flo

PS: We don’t have DP in our knowledge base article yet because the MMC part is still missing
I've emailed Flo a few times for other support questions–very responsive and friendly. Looks like we're waiting on MOTU...
Mac Studio M2 Ultra (192GB RAM) | macOS 13.5.2 | MOTU M4 | DP 11.3
Scorer
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by Scorer »

Hi guys,

I just tried using VideoSlave 3 with DP 9.12. Connected from a PC (running DP 9.12) to a Mac (running VS 3).

I get the MTC sync to work, but the video jumps around in VS 3 - every few seconds it always jumps back to the beginning of the video. The sync button in VS 3 is also constantly flashing, it does not stay lit. Impossible to use it that way.

has anybody else experienced this ?

In DP 9.12, I used Setup > Transmit Sync to specify which MIDI network to use. I used rtpMIDI on Windows (to create a virtual MIDI nrtwork port) and the built-in MIDI on OSX to connect. Connection works just fine.

Since DP 9.12 has these issues, I've then tested the exact same MIDI network setup with PT 12 and the sync is perfect, MTC and also MMC works beautifully. The sync button in VS 3 is highlighted but does not flash. Works very smooth.

Can anybody outline the necessary setup in DP 9.12 to get MTC working over MIDI network ?

I must be missing something since others are using this setup.

Thanks !
Sean Kenny

Post by Sean Kenny »

Hi

I haven't done this for a couple of months and as my memory isn't what it used to be, for things I do infrequently, I save notes. These are my 'memory-jogging' notes with associated pics. Works like a dream for me. This is using 2 macs so may not help, but just in case you have an old mac lying around, use that instead it's much easier. I use this when doing voice overs and the VO wants to see the whole screen movie, whereas I only want to see the movie in a side panel

SYNCING DP on Old Mac to DP on New mac

Check sample rates and fps are the same

Movie needs to be digital video format for DP on old mac

Movie needs to be movie or MP4 format for DP on new mac

Set old mac to Receive MTC (in the ‘set up’ drop down menu)

and the new mac to Transmit MTC (in the ‘set up’ drop down menu) ….set the Sync to port to Network

In the Audio MIDI Setup on each computer set them as below on each computer

NB the computers do NOT have to be directly connected, as long as they can see each other on the network i.e. through the hub this is fine

Mac Pro 3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5 - 32 GB Ram 1867 MHz DDR3 ECC - OS X 10.12.4 - DP 9.13 - RME HDSPe Madi card - iz ADA converters 24 i/o - Antelope Orion 32 i/o - Audient desk - Miller & Kreisel Monitors - Wunder Mic Pre's x 8 - very understanding wife!
http://www.ten21recordingstudios.co.uk/