Enlarge MX4 gui?

Discussion of all things related to MOTU's powerful MX4 software synthesizer.

Moderator: James Steele

musicman691

Enlarge MX4 gui?

Post by musicman691 »

Getting to work with MX4 as included in DP9 and I like some of the sounds and such. What I don't like is the gui - it's so bleeping small on a 27 inch iMac. Is there any way to enlarge it or am I stuck with it as is? The small gui doesn't help when trying to MIDI learn stuff as the active area of some of the controls is either too close to or overlaps other controls.
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Enlarge MX4 gui?

Post by bayswater »

musicman691 wrote:Getting to work with MX4 as included in DP9 and I like some of the sounds and such. What I don't like is the gui - it's so bleeping small on a 27 inch iMac. Is there any way to enlarge it or am I stuck with it as is? The small gui doesn't help when trying to MIDI learn stuff as the active area of some of the controls is either too close to or overlaps other controls.
Yes, a lot of stuff looks really small on the 27" iMac. I doubt you can make MX4 any bigger. You can make M5 bigger but it doesn't get easier to read. I just lower the screen resolution to deal with tiny VIs. The stuff is nearly all zoomable graphics anyway so it doesn't really make a lot of difference to the amount of stuff you can fit on the screen, and you get the added benefit of being able to see some of the tinier DP fonts.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I just lower the screen resolution to deal with tiny VIs.
I keep the Displays Preferences in my toolbar for that reason. I normally default to 1920 x 1080 but will go larger when I need.

I don't know if having one of those new iMacs with the retina display would help. It's supposed to but I am not upgrading just for that.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
billf

Post by billf »

I wish more plugins would use something like the Fullscreen Mode option that Fabfilter has in the Pro-Q 2.
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

billf wrote:I wish more plugins would use something like the Fullscreen Mode option that Fabfilter has in the Pro-Q 2.
You got that right. MX4 reminds me of the Arturia CS80 emulation - nice synth but editing anything is an exercise in eye strain. Too much stuff in too small a space.
Jim

Post by Jim »

Here's a good overall solution that I use in a lot of apps:

For Mac:

Open "System Preferences"
Choose "Accessibility"
Enable "Use Scroll Gesture with Modifier Keys to Zoom"
Select the modifier of your choice (I use the default Control).
Close System Preferences.

Put your mouse where you want to zoom the screen, hold Control, and use your center scroll on the mouse to zoom in and out around the cursor.
recording: Mac Mini 2018 - 32GB RAM - 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7 - two Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 - OS 12.7.4 - DP 11.23
mixing: MacPro7,1 - 256GB RAM - 2.7 GHz 24-Core Intel Xeon W - Focusrite Scarlett Solo - OS 12.7.4 - DP 11.23
Both computers: Kontakt Komplete 13 VIs and effects. Effects: FabFilter, Sonnox Oxford, SSL, PSP, UA, iZotope. VIs: Cherry Audio, AIR Tech, GForce, AAS, East-West, Garritan, Best Service, Kilohearts, Brainworx, UA
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

Jim wrote:Here's a good overall solution that I use in a lot of apps:

For Mac:

Open "System Preferences"
Choose "Accessibility"
Enable "Use Scroll Gesture with Modifier Keys to Zoom"
Select the modifier of your choice (I use the default Control).
Close System Preferences.

Put your mouse where you want to zoom the screen, hold Control, and use your center scroll on the mouse to zoom in and out around the cursor.
So you're saying that only zooms where the cursor is and not everything on the screen?
Jim

Post by Jim »

It zooms everything, but it zooms around where your cursor is.

So, you can center your cursor over the MX4, Control-zoom with the scroll wheel, and it will fill the screen with the MX4.

Once I started using this, I found it invaluable, especially on my 30" ACD, where some of the fonts can get pretty small.

Give it a try. You can turn it off if you don't like it.
recording: Mac Mini 2018 - 32GB RAM - 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7 - two Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 - OS 12.7.4 - DP 11.23
mixing: MacPro7,1 - 256GB RAM - 2.7 GHz 24-Core Intel Xeon W - Focusrite Scarlett Solo - OS 12.7.4 - DP 11.23
Both computers: Kontakt Komplete 13 VIs and effects. Effects: FabFilter, Sonnox Oxford, SSL, PSP, UA, iZotope. VIs: Cherry Audio, AIR Tech, GForce, AAS, East-West, Garritan, Best Service, Kilohearts, Brainworx, UA
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

Jim wrote:It zooms everything, but it zooms around where your cursor is.

So, you can center your cursor over the MX4, Control-zoom with the scroll wheel, and it will fill the screen with the MX4.

Once I started using this, I found it invaluable, especially on my 30" ACD, where some of the fonts can get pretty small.

Give it a try. You can turn it off if you don't like it.
That's what I was afraid of. I'd have to zoom back out when I leave the MX4 gui. Then zoom back in when I want to work in MX4. Would be simpler if MOTU would just make the bleeping gui bigger.
Thanks for the reply though.
apanacci

Post by apanacci »

Same as the bleepin MIXER !!!
2009 8 Core 5.1, 2012 6 Core MacPro,s , (32 gigs Ram) Mojave 14.6, Radeon 570, MacBookPros 2011, 2017 , 828MKIII Hybrid, 828X, MicroBook II, 8Pre, Nuendo 8ch A/D converter, PreSonus DigiMax LT ,DP11 , PT 2022.12, Cubase Elements 10.5, Peak 7, Logic 9 ,WaveLab 11, Reason 10, DSP-Quattro 5 ,many plugins , mics and synths. http://www.panaccimusic.com