Learning DP

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
mkoplin
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Learning DP

Post by mkoplin »

I've purchased and watched parts of the Macaudio DVD training, read parts of the DP Manual relevant to simple projects, searched this forum, looked at YouTube videos. What is the best way to learn DP for other users.
I'm considering taking a real course, but not sure where to go. Berklee dropped their DP course.
MacBook Pro, Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.4 GHz, 4GB
Mac Pro, Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 2.8 GHz. 2 Processors, 8 Core, 6 GB

Digital Performer 7.2, M-Audio Axiom 25, Yamaha CVP 305
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Learning DP

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

IMO its best to jump in and mess around with the program and refer to the manual when needed. If the manual doesn't give an answer or you can't find it, ask on this forum.
At least that has worked well for me.

Are you having a particularly hard time with any specific aspect you could verbalize? The program is pretty straight forward and the Getting Started guide spells out the basics quite well IMO.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
FMiguelez

Re: Learning DP

Post by FMiguelez »

+1
The Getting Started Guide has a few basic tutorials that introduce you to DP's most used and basic features. If you haven't done so yet, I strongly suggest you go through those (I think they are 2 or 3).

It will also teach you DP's terms and how it calls things (this will be useful for you to communicate with us, so we speak the same language).

After you go through the GSG, you will definitely be more comfortable with the program. Then you can do a few test projects and learn the more detailed stuff. The manual is great for this, and you can also ask away here once you do that.

If you have specific topics you want to talk about so you can get started, let us know. We are happy to help legit users who, after reading the relevant parts of the manual, still are stuck or confused about something, or simply wonder about workflow, etc.

You made the best choice by getting DP, BTW. I'm sure you will enjoy it and have lots of fun with it 8)
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
billf

Post by billf »

You can also check out Groove3 for some training videos for Digital Performer

http://www.groove3.com/str/motu-training/
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Suck it and see, brah.

Consult the manual if necessary, and, well, we're a last resort I s'pose. :lol:

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
dickhauser

Post by dickhauser »

This thread is a bit stale, but I'm posting here that the MOTU YouTube channel now ( as of 21 April 2015) has a David Das Tutorial on tempos in DP8. I took a quick view and discovered that I would profit from some practice using his methods.

https://youtu.be/N-nZguLa6YU
Dick H

24" iMac M3, OS Ventura 14.1.2, 16GB, DP 11.23 (94363)
828x, 8Pre, Mach5 3.2.1
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Stale? But... but... but... uuuggghhh, guess it's 'cause I was here.

I'll be sure to clean up after I leave. Hang on... I mean, after I leave, I'll be sure to clean up.

Thank you for the heads up, Dick.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
midiw

Post by midiw »

dickhauser wrote:This thread is a bit stale, but I'm posting here that the MOTU YouTube channel now ( as of 21 April 2015) has a David Das Tutorial on tempos in DP8. I took a quick view and discovered that I would profit from some practice using his methods.

https://youtu.be/N-nZguLa6YU

Thanks for the heads up referrel 2 Utube, a great help because i am finding DP9 somewhat overwhelming :deadhorse: and i have been upgrading/using DP before it was called DP for more than 25 years. However to be fair to MOTU this old brain needs video tutorials. :banghead:
Mac OS: Mojave