Event TR8s - Thinking of a Sub - ???'s

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
sevenone
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Event TR8s - Thinking of a Sub - ???'s

Post by sevenone »

I posted this over at homerecording.com, but thought I might get more responcse here.

I've been thinking I am missing low end a little, and a sub would help. Am I wrong? My room seems good, balanced, tight, but not too much - it's been treated. but I notice I always add too much bass in a mix. My headphones mix bass much better but aren't as accurate in the mid/highs. Plus, I don't want to mix with headphones...

Is a sub a crutch? Will it help, or should I consciencely add less bass? I'd rather not just add less bass, I'd like to hear the tone of it.

While reading up on getting a sub, someone said match the crossover freq, and +/-db level of the Events.

The Events say:
35Hz - 20kHz, ±3dB (-2dB @ 38Hz), Ref. 500Hz

What should I look for then, in a subwoofer?

Would I be shunned as village idiot for even contemplating behringer, samson, etc in the $200-$300 range?

or am I looking in the wrong area?
Timeline
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by Timeline »

I took an Advet sub that contained a 12" woofer. The woof was •••• so I replaced it with an Alnico vintage JBL form an early JBL 4210 monitor.

It now has balls and adds that magic low end we love to hear. I would cross it as low as posible BTW.
2009 Intel 12 core 3.46, 64GB, OSX.10.14.6, Mojave, DP11, MTPAV, Key-station 49,(2) RME FF800,
DA-3000 DSF-5.6mhz, Mackie Control. Hofa DDP Pro, FB@ http://www.facebook.com/garybrandt2