Mackie Big Knob

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
westla
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Mackie Big Knob

Post by westla »

I'm thinking of going mixerless and getting a Mackie ig Knob to control main volume and headphone mixes/talkback.

For the last year or so I've being using my mixer for little more than a volume fader, since all my processing is done ITB with 2 two 2408mk3's and Focusrite Mic pre's.

Anyone using a similar set up, or have opinions on the Big Knob?

Thanks
mhayesmusic
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by mhayesmusic »

good forum to start... I was looking into this myself, however I was considering the Presonus Central Station. West LA , give it a gander if you havent already. The metering in digital and analog might be the breaker for you as it may be the breaker for me. I have an o1v and all I am using it for right not is for monitoring the audio outputs of my sound modules. Do you know of a way to do this within DP that doesn't require my mixer at all?
DP 4,G4 DP 1.25 ghz, 1 gig ram,2408 mkI, MTP AV, Reason, Mach Five, iDrum, SoundSoap, Garritan Personal Orchestra,Ptools LE Mbox, Korg Triton, Oxygen 8, M-Audio Pro88 Controller, S4 Plus, FCP,DVD SP and many other goodies with pretty lights
westla

Post by westla »

To go mixerless in you setup you would need an inerface that can take all the inputs from you outboard gear.

For me I have three PC with GigaStudio on one and EWQLSO on the other two. The only analoge stuff I have is one synth and the outputs from the mic pre's. So on my two 2408's I have one bank of analoge and then the remaining five banks are Lightpipe.
homebilly

Post by homebilly »

I'm all about the Big Knob. It's great! get it!!!!!
el Ocho 2.8 running DP6 & RMX with M5II - 828mkII / el Quatro 2.66 running Vienna VI & Vienna Ensemble, RAX 2, M5II & L8 for VSL - 2408mkII / steiner MIDI EVI, Oberheim Xpander, M5II reading UVI .dats, Radium 61 controller
http://www.ronmeza.com

Paris mini studio : iMac 20" intel 2.66 core duo (spring 2009) DP 6.02 - Firebox running M5II & Independence Pro 2.1 connected to Mac Mini (spring 2009) - Firebox running L8, RAX 2, Independence 2.1, M M5II
Keystation 49e controller
giles117

Post by giles117 »

I ended up going Central Station. Sounds better than the Big Knob. BK sounds like a mackie with that Mackie sonic imprint. Central Station was neutral and very open sounding. Worth the extra few bucks. And the remot makes it PHAT!!!!
DP 6.02
Quad 3.0 Ghz, 8.0 GB RAM, 2 - 1TB HD, 5 - 500GB HD's (RAID)
MOTU HD192, 2408mk3, Microlite, UAD-1, UAD-2, Powercore, Lavry Blue AD/DA convertor, LA-610
Euphonix MC Control

29 years in this business and counting.....Loving every minute of it.....
jon

Post by jon »

homebilly wrote:I'm all about the Big Knob. It's great! get it!!!!!
I have seen it at Guitar Center and it can get kind of warm. Does it cause any problems?
MAC PRO 2x2.26 / OSX 10.7.2 & 6 GB RAM., POWERMAC G5 2x2. / OSX 10.5.9 & 4 GB RAM., MAC BOOK 2.0 / OSX 10.7.2 & 2GB RAM.,DP 7.24, Logic Pro, Motu 896mk3, Lynx Aurora 8, Motu Ultralite Mk3, UAD-2 6.1.0, Mackie Onyx 800R, V-Drums.
homebilly

Post by homebilly »

i haven't turned mine off for 6 months. not hot at all, normal warmth.

i use mine just for monitoring and adjusting my genelecs.
that's it.
el Ocho 2.8 running DP6 & RMX with M5II - 828mkII / el Quatro 2.66 running Vienna VI & Vienna Ensemble, RAX 2, M5II & L8 for VSL - 2408mkII / steiner MIDI EVI, Oberheim Xpander, M5II reading UVI .dats, Radium 61 controller
http://www.ronmeza.com

Paris mini studio : iMac 20" intel 2.66 core duo (spring 2009) DP 6.02 - Firebox running M5II & Independence Pro 2.1 connected to Mac Mini (spring 2009) - Firebox running L8, RAX 2, Independence 2.1, M M5II
Keystation 49e controller
shankyboy

Post by shankyboy »

I 2nd the comment on the Presonus. Spend the extra money and get something that is not only better sounding, it is more flexible as far as I/Os go. Plus the fact that it is rack mounted gets it out of the way of your work surface.
Macbook Pro, DP11, Motu M4, Waves, PSP
kelldammit
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by kelldammit »

can either act as master volume for a surround setup?
giles117

Post by giles117 »

The CS can't :(
Just a 2.1 Set Up at best.

SPL is the cheapest Surround Sound monitoring system I have seen.
DP 6.02
Quad 3.0 Ghz, 8.0 GB RAM, 2 - 1TB HD, 5 - 500GB HD's (RAID)
MOTU HD192, 2408mk3, Microlite, UAD-1, UAD-2, Powercore, Lavry Blue AD/DA convertor, LA-610
Euphonix MC Control

29 years in this business and counting.....Loving every minute of it.....
kelldammit
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by kelldammit »

bummer. i liked the cs too.
i actually used a tascam fw1884 (sold it)...its outputs could be set for either stereo or 5.1, so the 8 outputs would either be 1 stereo monitor+3 sends, or 1 5.1 monitor+1 send.
i guess you could do the same with many audio interfaces...though it'd be via soft mixer?
thanks, the SPL looks interesting. guess i'd better break out the soldering iron/db25 crimper...

kell
tringlesceo

Post by tringlesceo »

the central station is far superior to the big knob, it has passive circuitry, which is why it "sounds better" than the big knob. the central station is rack mountable, so there are no cables dangling all over your workspace. if you are creative enough, you can pull off a 5.1 setup with the central station using the aux outputs.
jon

Post by jon »

tringlesceo wrote:the central station is far superior to the big knob, it has passive circuitry, which is why it "sounds better" than the big knob. the central station is rack mountable, so there are no cables dangling all over your workspace. if you are creative enough, you can pull off a 5.1 setup with the central station using the aux outputs.
But the Big Knob is so cutesy wootsy. ;)

Just picture it placed in front of a pair of raised & mounted 15 inch displays. Seriously not a bad little device for $299.
MAC PRO 2x2.26 / OSX 10.7.2 & 6 GB RAM., POWERMAC G5 2x2. / OSX 10.5.9 & 4 GB RAM., MAC BOOK 2.0 / OSX 10.7.2 & 2GB RAM.,DP 7.24, Logic Pro, Motu 896mk3, Lynx Aurora 8, Motu Ultralite Mk3, UAD-2 6.1.0, Mackie Onyx 800R, V-Drums.
westla

Post by westla »

tringlesceo wrote:the central station is far superior to the big knob, it has passive circuitry, which is why it "sounds better" than the big knob. the central station is rack mountable, so there are no cables dangling all over your workspace. if you are creative enough, you can pull off a 5.1 setup with the central station using the aux outputs.
I disagree. I was considering both the Big Knob and the Central Station. So I asked an engineer who I've worked with here in LA who does major motion picture score recording and mixing.

His advice was unless you have a professionally treated room, top of the line A/D/A convertors, top of the line monitors, you won't hear a difference at all.

Not taking anything at face value, I went an actually bought both units with the understanding that I was going to return one of them. I tried out both in studio. Now it has been sound treated, but it isn't perfect, and I used Genelec monitors, and honestly I could not hear a decernable difference between the two. The sounded slightly (and I mean slightly) different, but does that really matter?

So I ended up going with the Big Knob. It's less expensive, and I don't have to buy a control unit to have desktop control.

Just my experience.
kpsnyder85

surround knob

Post by kpsnyder85 »

while mackie and presonus don't have anything in the 5.1 arena just yet, my favorite is the grace design 904/906

http://www.gracedesign.com/products/906 ... 6_m904.htm

-kyle