cheap and good!

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
m2
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: cheap and good!

Post by m2 »

But why record in the bathroom? Then you're stuck with the room sound, which may not work with the track. Unless you just came back from Mexico, in which case the bathroom would probably be the best location for vocal recording, or any recording
Ha ha ha ha ha

Yeah, recorded reverb on an individual vocal track is probably a bad plan. Unless you a) love the sound of the room and always will and, 2) will do the entire track in one complete take.

Consider Sennheiser mics as well.
Dual 2G-G5/2G ram/Digidesign HD2 Accel/Sony DMX R-100/MeyerHD-1&NS-10s - Hafler Ars Nova/DP5.12/PT7.3.1/2.0+TByte/GigaS3
gearboy

Post by gearboy »

Audio Technica Mic's make the most profit for the Sales Team. I know because the AT rep told me when I was selling them. That's why Sales people push them so hard, I will NEVER buy one, but that's just me.

Well, all I have to say is, I work for one of the big "dot com" gear places, and I only "push" gear that I believe in. Call me an honest salesperson, if there is such a thing. I really like AT mics.

As a matter of fact, I *LOVE* my AT4047sv. Incredible vocal mic. I can't wait to get a second one and use them as overheads. Beautiful sound. For vocals, I combine it with a 414 B/ULS and record two very in phase tracks at once because I like the combined sound. I've been doing this for three yrs now.

But everyone has an opinion and a preference that works for them.

Ok, back to topic...

As far as vocal mics on a budget, check out the C1, the AT4040, the AT4033CL, the Shure SM7 (sometimes you can find one for around $200), and the CAD E200... which sounds INCREDIBLE for vocals through the right mic preamp. I have a buddy that runs this through a UA610 and it is shockingly amazing.

Jeff
OS 10.4.11 - G5 Dual 1.8GHz, 3GB RAM / Mac PB G4 1.5GHz, 1.5GB RAM / Apogee Duet / MOTU 828mkii w/BLA Analog & Clock mod / MOTU DP4.61 / Live5.2 / Peak 4 & 5 LE / Izotope Oz3, Sp, Tr / Waves Ren Max / TRacks, Miroslav / NI Komplete 5 / GF impOSCar, MiniMonsta, M-Tron / Automat / Nomad Factory Vintage Studio Bundle / apTrigga / Audio Hijack Pro

My recording blog: http://www.ipressrecord.com
joconnel

Post by joconnel »

Get a used AT 4050. Great on so many things.
DP 4.6 Dual 2.5 G5 OSX.39 2.5GB RAM 2408mk3 with pci 424 and 1224. MTP AV Autotune 4, waves platinum 5.x NI B4, Mach 5, arturia minimoogV. API, calrec, UA2610, Distressors, adl1000....yaddayadda
aboutfaceaudio

Post by aboutfaceaudio »

Despite the profit claims, I still ike the Audio Technica 4047.

SM57 sounds good on some voices. buy a pop filter or make one from a coat hanger and some pantyhose. Why not try them out?
draudio2u

Post by draudio2u »

I will through in my hat for the Audio 3035 as well and I am NOT on the AT Sales Team. I have two of them, two of the 3032 and two 3031. All amaze me for the low cost. I also have access to extremely high end mic's and often A/B. The Audio Technica line is probably one of the best "bang for the buck" out there. Test it, you don't like, send it back and get something different.

:cool:
MacBook Pro FULL, 896HD, 828mkii, DP7... Just go to the web site and look at the pretty pictures ; )
gearboy

Post by gearboy »

The Audio Technica line is probably one of the best "bang for the buck" out there.

I have to agree. I think that as far as "bang for the buck" is concerned, go with any 4000 series AT mic over any AKG microphone in the same price range. I like the 414 mics, but it seems that AKG large diaphram condensors in the $500 and under range are nowhere near as nice.
You can, however, find deals on 414 EB andother 414 mics on eBay. I paid $405 shipped for mine about three years ago. The only thing wrong with it is that there is a scratch on the shaft where the cable connects. Aside from that it's minty. It's an early 90s model.

Check out the AT4047sv, though. It's killer. However, if you want an airy top end go with the 4040 or 4050.

Jeff
OS 10.4.11 - G5 Dual 1.8GHz, 3GB RAM / Mac PB G4 1.5GHz, 1.5GB RAM / Apogee Duet / MOTU 828mkii w/BLA Analog & Clock mod / MOTU DP4.61 / Live5.2 / Peak 4 & 5 LE / Izotope Oz3, Sp, Tr / Waves Ren Max / TRacks, Miroslav / NI Komplete 5 / GF impOSCar, MiniMonsta, M-Tron / Automat / Nomad Factory Vintage Studio Bundle / apTrigga / Audio Hijack Pro

My recording blog: http://www.ipressrecord.com
Sound Smoother

Post by Sound Smoother »

Hey gearheads!

For a lower priced vocal mic, you might want to check the MC-012 (or MK) from Octava. This is a small condenser (needs phantom power), that packs some punch. A little unforgiving on sibilance and rather "in-your-face" but if you're doing Pop or Rock it cuts through. Make sure to use a pop screen and sing off-axis and/or at a minimum of 6" to avoid some boomy proximity. If you pay more than $150-used than you're probably being suckered.

Good for acoustic instruments in general.

Good luck!
-S. Smoother ;)
qo

Post by qo »

Originally posted by Sound Smoother:
For a lower priced vocal mic, you might want to check the MC-012 (or MK) from Octava. This is a small condenser (needs phantom power), that packs some punch. A little unforgiving on sibilance and rather "in-your-face" but if you're doing Pop or Rock it cuts through.
I'll definitely second this recommendation. These are great mics. If you're just buying a single mic, and not worried about trying to match a couple as a stereo pair, Guitar Center was selling these for $99USD.

One big surprise for me is when the MC-012 produced better results on a particular female's vox than a $5000 Manley Gold Reference mic. This little Oktava also works really well on acoustic guitar and drum overheads. I've heard Oktava has a problem with manufacturing consistency with the MC-012. But, I bought two (unmatched) from Guitar Center and both sound great. There's a US company that verifies quality, and also does matching for stereo pairs, and tacks a bit more $$ onto the price for their services. I can't remember their name offhand, but they're an option if you're concerned about this manufacturing consistency rumor.

I also agree the AT4050 is a great mic.

<small>[ August 03, 2005, 12:31 PM: Message edited by: qo ]</small>
folknbluzn

Post by folknbluzn »

AKG c1000s condenser, definitely condenser......had always used sm57's and 58's for years, but once I heard the sound of oktava small condenser, i couldn't believe the difference.
We should also all realize that the mic is where quality starts in this chain of events that lead to quality recordings.

"wish i was a headlight on a northbound train"
828II, ibook g-4 1.42 mhz, 1.5ram, maxtor 300g HD,
MT

Post by MT »

Originally posted by draudio2u:
Test it, you don't like, send it back and get something different.
Check and make sure you can return it. Most shops won't take back used mic's due to federal health restrictions.

My vote for the AT3035. Cheap and great, though I'm sure any in the range above would work fine.

MT
G5 Dual 1.8 | LynxTWO A,B,LS-ADAT | 2-Bus LT | UAD-1 | DP 4.6, 10.4.5 | DFHS VC | Reason 3 | Site | 50/50 Films
"Blade... Laser... Blazer"
glsimonsen
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by glsimonsen »

akg c1000s is a beauty for vocals/guitar. great for bluegrass, one mic does it all.
SuperDave

I'm looking for a deal on some overheads and a vocal

Post by SuperDave »

How about these? The 2020 has been out for awhile, I understand, but the 2021 is new. Can we be led to believe that the 2021 will be as good a value as the 2020? and for $150 for the both, it's almost irresistable.

http://aes.harmony-central.com/119AES/C ... 041SP.html
PowerMac G4 Dual 867 Mhz/1.25 GB RAM/OS 10.3.8 | PowerBook G4 1.5 Ghz/2.0 GB RAM/OS 10.3.8 |DP4.12/MOTU 828mkII
splatterbass

Post by splatterbass »

i have a at 3035 that i have been using for a while. not bad.
at 4033 sound better and smother.
tube mics are what i prefer.
still havent made up my mind on that one.
remember seein a link to a site in australia where a compny is remaking the u 47, would like to hear how that sounds.
kelldammit
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by kelldammit »

i'll second the oktava...my friend bought one for $99 a couple years ago and did some recordings with it...i just couldn't believe it. it worked very well for her voice (much better than my sm57 or 58). gotta get me a couple of 'em. i'll have to check into the AT's too. i can tell this place is gonna cost me $$... :o