UNDO HISTORY : Will flushing reclaim speed? (resolved)

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Maxx
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

UNDO HISTORY : Will flushing reclaim speed? (resolved)

Post by Maxx »

I have one session that's REALLY slow to open, edge edit grouped tracks, slip and save.
(20 seconds To save, up to a minute to slip grouped (e.g.. 8 drums grouped) soundbites in the sequence editor)

My 0THER 25 or so sessions work Fine with roughly same plug-ins and track count.

on this session - I tried:

- Disabling all tracks and plugs except grouped tracks I need to work on.
- Changed buffer settings
- Re-booted session / computer etc, etc..

None of these things helped speed things up.
The hard drive is FINE as my other sessions on the same drive work fine.

i'm thinking that the culprit might be the UNDO HISTORY.
Will flushing Undo history Help reclaim speed?

If I take the plunge and flush UNDO HISTORY, can I SAVE AS a new session so I can re-access UNDO HISTORY from Previous Sessions ?

Could deleting unused soundbites help?

Does having multiple chunks effect the way DP responds? (Even though I'm only using one chunk per session / song)

Has anybody had actual experience reclaiming significant speed by flushing UNDO HISTORY?

Thanks

(Macbook pro 2.66 Ghz Intel Core duo / Mavericks / G Ram / DP 7.24 / External FW 800 HDs / Motu 8 Pre / blah blah blah)
Last edited by Maxx on Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
M
a
x

OSX 10.7.5 / 2.66 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo / Motu 8 pre / DP 7.24
FMiguelez

Re: UNDO HISTORY : Will flushing reclaim speed?

Post by FMiguelez »

Maxx wrote:I have one session that's REALLY slow to open, edge edit grouped tracks, slip and save.
(20 seconds To save, up to a minute to slip grouped (e.g.. 8 drums grouped) soundbites in the sequence editor)

My 0THER 25 or so sessions work Fine with roughly same plug-ins and track count.

on this session - I tried:

- Disabling all tracks and plugs except grouped tracks I need to work on.
- Changed buffer settings
- Re-booted session / computer etc, etc..

None of these things helped speed things up.
The hard drive is FINE as my other sessions on the same drive work fine.

i'm thinking that the culprit might be the UNDO HISTORY.
Will flushing Undo history Help reclaim speed?

If I take the plunge and flush UNDO HISTORY, can I SAVE AS a new session so I can re-access UNDO HISTORY from Previous Sessions ?

Could deleting unused soundbites help?

Does having multiple chunks effect the way DP responds? (Even though I'm only using one chunk per session / song)

Has anybody had actual experience reclaiming significant speed by flushing UNDO HISTORY?

Thanks

(Macbook pro 2.66 Ghz Intel Core duo / Mavericks / G Ram / DP 7.24 / External FW 800 HDs / Motu 8 Pre / blah blah blah)
If there's any speed at all to be reclaimed by flushing, it wouldn't be anything to write home about.

You can try it yourself. Make a Save As in case you want to access undo history later for safe-keeping. Just be careful> If DP deletes unused SBs (when it flushes the undo history), you wouldn't be able to recover those, since the audio would be deleted from the DP Audio folder (this could be solved by making a copy of the whole project folder, of course).

Deleting unused soundbites might help a little too. But I think it's a good idea to keep things clean and tidy anyway... I like looking only at stuff I actually used, especially when opening older projects.

I've been doing those little tricks regularly with my G5 for years, but when the session is too much for it, then it's too much, no matter what else I do.
When I do it, I really don't see noticeable changes except for the DP document file size (but I will see a HUGE difference if I temporarily disable a reverb or delay).
Last edited by FMiguelez on Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

If you are running low on disk space, UNDO flushing might be advisable. It only takes up disk space, not processor resources. But if you have a big HD with a lot of space it should impact anything AFAIK.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Maxx

Post by Maxx »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:If you are running low on disk space, UNDO flushing might be advisable. It only takes up disk space, not processor resources. But if you have a big HD with a lot of space it should impact anything AFAIK.
Funny, Other sessions on the same disk / track count plug in count - of same size run fine. Though it might be something else... like a backlogged undo history or something as this
M
a
x

Maxx

Post by Maxx »

FMiguelez wrote: Make a Save As in case you want to access undo history later for safe-keeping. Just be careful> If DP deletes unused SBs (when it flushes the undo history), you wouldn't be able to recover those, since the audio would be deleted from the DP Audio folder (this could be solved by making a copy of the whole project folder, of course).

I'LL TRY THAT - THANKS FMiguelez

(but I will see a HUGE difference if I temporarily disable a reverb or delay).[/b]
FUNNY, IT MAKES NO DIFFERENCE WHEN I DISENGAGE ALL PLUGS ON THIS SPECIFIC SESSION.
M
a
x

MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Just save as and undo in the newly named project. It's not brain surgery.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
doodles

Post by doodles »

that's weird. I didn't know that undo only uses disk space, as many times I've done it just to get my file to speed up a bit, and it does seem to work.

Another factor, without doubt, is if you have LOADS of soundbites and edits in your project audio folder. Then it's definitely worth doing a save as, and remove unused soundbites (don't delete), and duplicate the takes of any audio tracks with tons of edits, and merge them. Should help.
2*5-core 3.46 Intel xeon (32 gigs RAM), 2*dual 2.5 (16 & 32 gigs RAM), DP 8.07, WAVES 9, Lexicon plugs, SoundToys, all Spectrasonics, NI Komplete 9, Vienna Ensemble (extended), LASS, Evolve, Symphobia, etc, Cinesamples, Arturia, cinestrings, all Project Sam
zaratero

Post by zaratero »

In my experience anything that makes the DP project file smaller in size helps. At least during my G5 days it was common procedure for me to do the save as and flush history. I´d say that the main difference is related to undo branches containing soundbites that are not needed anymore.
http://www.cueaudio.org
Macpro 3.1 Octocore-16Gb RAM-OSX10.8 - DP 7.24
Macbook pro Core2Duo-4Gb RAM-OSX10.6 - DP 7.24
Maxx

Post by Maxx »

doodles wrote:that's weird. I didn't know that undo only uses disk space, as many times I've done it just to get my file to speed up a bit, and it does seem to work.

Another factor, without doubt, is if you have LOADS of soundbites and edits in your project audio folder. Then it's definitely worth doing a save as, and remove unused soundbites (don't delete), and duplicate the takes of any audio tracks with tons of edits, and merge them. Should help.
Thanks but merging and removing soundbites didn't help on this project.
Neither did disabling ALL plug ins.

I suspect the culprit on this session is probably an extensive undo history. It's an older session with lots of history. Since I have 4 backups of the project, I'll flush and see what happens.
Thanks.
M
a
x

Maxx

Post by Maxx »

Thanks for all your posts guys. My next post will be either yay or nay to the flush :D
M
a
x

Maxx

Post by Maxx »

:woohoo:
IT WORKED!

Flushing Undo History and removing unused soundbites reclaimed speed!
(you're right MIDI, it wasn't rocket science :)

Save, Save as, Save a Copy took 20 seconds before Undo History flush & remove unused soundbites. Now it takes 6-7 seconds.

Group edge edits, slips etc in the sequence editor are easy 4x faster than the were.

Thanks for all your input.
Max
M
a
x

doodles

Re: UNDO HISTORY : Will flushing reclaim speed? (resolved)

Post by doodles »

:D
2*5-core 3.46 Intel xeon (32 gigs RAM), 2*dual 2.5 (16 & 32 gigs RAM), DP 8.07, WAVES 9, Lexicon plugs, SoundToys, all Spectrasonics, NI Komplete 9, Vienna Ensemble (extended), LASS, Evolve, Symphobia, etc, Cinesamples, Arturia, cinestrings, all Project Sam
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

That's great, Maxx!!

Perhaps the reason I don't notice important speed improvements when flushing and deleting unused SBs with my G5 is because my computer goes from snail pace to turtle pace, and the difference is still in the very slow side anyway.

But I'm glad it worked for you 8)
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
Maxx

Post by Maxx »

FMiguelez wrote:That's great, Maxx!!

Perhaps the reason I don't notice important speed improvements when flushing and deleting unused SBs with my G5 is because my computer goes from snail pace to turtle pace, and the difference is still in the very slow side anyway.

But I'm glad it worked for you 8)
Thanks Miguelez,

Perhaps you didn't notice important speed improvements when flushing and removing unused soundbites because you've already been doing proper DP housekeeping. Not alot of contrast between snail and turtle.

If you had an UNDO HISTORY & UNUSED SOUNDBITES in a DP project spanning from 2011-2014 like I did, you might notice turtle to small rodent speed... :)

Now I know.
Always learning new things about DP.
M
a
x