What reverbs do you like to use with DP?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
stubbsonic
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: What reverbs do you like to use with DP?

Post by stubbsonic »

Klaus wrote:
Easiest on cpu convolution reverb AU plugin (AFAIK ) :
http://audio.lernvall.com/
LA-convolver
I used LAConvolver until DP finally included ProVerb. At that point, I didn't need LAC. Still, for folks running older versions of DP, it is a great option. It was the one that got me started on my IR collection.

There is something kind of interesting about the analogy of samples vs synths-- as related to reverbs. IR's are literally samples of spaces, but they may lack some "dynamic" quality. A room will behave differently for loud sounds and quiet sounds. Just as a sample might need different velocity ranges, perhaps in the future, convolution reverbs could be set up so that they morph between different samples depending on the dynamic range of the source.

I have no idea whether or how algorithmic reverbs respond to the dynamic range of the input.

In any case, I think DP's Spacial Maximizer has tremendous potential to enhance reverbs in a dynamic way. Inserted after the reverb, it could disproportionally open up some highs & high-mids when the source gets louder.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

stubbsonic wrote:
Klaus wrote:
Easiest on cpu convolution reverb AU plugin (AFAIK ) :
http://audio.lernvall.com/
LA-convolver
IR's are literally samples of spaces, but they may lack some "dynamic" quality. A room will behave differently for loud sounds and quiet sounds. Just as a sample might need different velocity ranges, perhaps in the future, convolution reverbs could be set up so that they morph between different samples depending on the dynamic range of the source.
Old IR's were done with a starting pistol providing the big transient from which to sample the return of diminishing transients and their changes over time. While on the Audio Ease website recently, I either read or heard (from one of their videos) that they no longer consider this an adequate method of making impulse responses. I'm not sure how they do it now, but I know that it involves more of a continuous sweep of pitches. Seems like loudness played a role, too, but I don't remember for sure. It DOES seem like a better idea, though!

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

The "standard" now is to run a swept sine at a fixed volume in the space. A secondary step, called "De-convolution" aligns the signal so all frequencies start at the same time. To my knowledge, this process, like the starter pistol, samples the room at a hot level only.

Still, when I hear a convolution reverb in action, it does seem to do a fine job of emulating the space. I just think there is potential with this idea of "dynamic convolution"; i.e., creating another dimension-- where the sound itself can change the shape of the room-- "move the walls", etc.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

What do people think of the Exponential Audio 'verbs?
Ex-Lexicon guy set that company up. I have demoed them, and almost bought one during the recent sale (they have a surround version, big+ for my needs), but in the end couldn't justify the $$. (Bought Sparkverb for ~$125 instead).
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
wheever

Post by wheever »

I love the 2c audio verbs. Especially B2, though it can be VERY processor intensive. Aether is also good. I've never heard breeze. I think they're all on sale until the 1st of Jan, so if you grab a demo and love one or more, you can get 'em at a discount!
Performer user since--HOLY CR*P--1986? YIKES!
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

'HOFA IQ Reverb' reviewed reasonably favorably in this month's issue of SOS.

From their site:
The IQ-Reverb combines the most innovative convolution technology with the "retro" features of classical reverb processors from the golden age.
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

BKK-OZ wrote:'HOFA IQ Reverb' reviewed reasonably favorably in this month's issue of SOS.

From their site:
The IQ-Reverb combines the most innovative convolution technology with the "retro" features of classical reverb processors from the golden age.
From HOFA's site:
HOFA Plugins are being tested constantly on the following DAWS:
Steinberg Cubase/Nuendo/Wavelab, Apple Logic, Ableton Live, Presonus Studio One, Cockos Reaper, Avid Pro Tools 9, 10 & 11
Sigh.

Makes me not want it. Seriously. Get a clue, HOFA.

But thanks for the heads up on this reverb. It does look quite promising. I'm going to tell them that if they add DP to their list, I'll think about buying their reverb the next time they have a sale.

(Running the demo and man is it nice. So is their EQ)
Last edited by Dan Worley on Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
DP10.13
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Dan Worley wrote:From HOFA's site:
Steinberg Cubase/Nuendo/Wavelab, Apple Logic, Ableton Live, Presonus Studio One, C••••• R•••••, Avid Pro Tools 9, 10 & 11
Sigh.

But thanks for the heads up on this reverb. It does look quite promising. I'm going to tell them that if they add DP to their list, I'll think about buying their reverb the next time they have a sale.
That's a good idea, I think perhaps a few of us here ought to send similar emails to them. :)
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
cridarco

Post by cridarco »

Overloud Breeverb is fantastic for me (I buy last week with Christmas discount! :dance: ).
Very warm and natural.
I like also Motu Proverb when I need a convolution reverb.
Performer user since 1991.
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

James Steele wrote:
Dan Worley wrote:From HOFA's site:
Steinberg Cubase/Nuendo/Wavelab, Apple Logic, Ableton Live, Presonus Studio One, C••••• R•••••, Avid Pro Tools 9, 10 & 11
Sigh.

That's a good idea, I think perhaps a few of us here ought to send similar emails to them. :)
Done. I feel like I am part of some kind of protest movement now...
Cheers,
BK

- M Kaku
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

BKK-OZ wrote:Done. I feel like I am part of some kind of protest movement now...
Yeah, the leave no (great) DAW behind movement...
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

FMiguelez wrote:
BKK-OZ wrote:Done. I feel like I am part of some kind of protest movement now...
Yeah, the leave no (great) DAW behind movement...
Yeah, I sent them this:
On your website it says:

> HOFA Plugins are being tested constantly on the following DAWS:
> Steinberg Cubase/Nuendo/Wavelab, Apple Logic, Ableton Live, Presonus Studio One, Cockos Reaper, Avid Pro Tools 9, 10 & 11

I realize you can't mention every DAW, but you fail to mention Digital Performer (DP) which has been around longer than any of them, and is used by countless professionals in music and film. And now that it's cross-platform, that user base is growing even more.

Please consider adding DP to your list and statements so DP users can feel good about supporting HOFA with their patronage.

Thank you,

Dan Worley
A DP user
DP10.13
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Well stated, Dan!
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
stephentayler

Post by stephentayler »

I haven't seen anyone mention Native Instruments Reverb Classics. The RC24 and RC48 are modelled on the Lex 224x and 480 units and were developed by SofTube. The Lex 224x has always been my favourite hardware unit, so I am really happy with these, I think the modelling is superb.

I'm hardly ever looking for realism with my treatments, so I rarely use convolution for any natural-sounding spaces. I also find most reverbs sound too dense, so I nearly always use them on an aux channel so I can EQ them accordingly, as well as control their levels and stereo images independently.

Also I tend to use combinations of reverbs and delays to build the kind of dimensions I am looking for.

Cheers

SWT
Stephen W Tayler: Sound Artist
http://www.chimera-arts.com
http://ostinatomusic.com
http://stephentayler.com

Mac Pro 16Gb RAM, OSX 10.10, DP 8, PT 11, Logic 9.1.8, MOTU Traveler, Ultralite Mk 3 Hybrid, MC MIx, MOTU VIs, Waves, Izotope Everything, Spectrasonics, SoundToys, Slate, Softube, NI , spl Surround Monitor Controller, spl Auditor Headphone amp, Genelec 1031A, 1029 5.1 system, Sontronics Mics, iPad etc..
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

stephentayler wrote: ...I'm hardly ever looking for realism with my treatments, so I rarely use convolution for any natural-sounding spaces. ...
Thanks for explaining that, Stephen. I think though the difference between convolution & hardware reverb isn't that simple.

First of all, one can find/create IRs of any of those hardware rigs (if you have access to one). Second, all kinds of custom/hybrid sounds can be used as IRs. E.g., I've heard fireworks, thunder, various processed percussion, synth sweeps, etc., --the possibilities are endless. Convolution can give you the most flexibility both with real and unreal spaces.

All that said, I think the two big advantages to hardware/algorithmic reverbs are work-flow & tweak-ability. With convolution, building and organizing a good IR collection is time-consuming. Also, in a session, being able to call up just the right IR involves trial-and-error. It's easier to grab a great sounding algorithmic reverb and adjust it while the track is playing.

I tend to reach for the ProVerb only because I've built a good collection of IRs. But I also lean toward the sound of real spaces-- but most of my work focuses on acoustic sounds.