Mavericks and DP8.05 - little bugs, but growing bigger!

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Shooshie
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Mavericks and DP8.05 - little bugs, but growing bigger!

Post by Shooshie »

[EDIT: After a week with Mavericks, I'm less inclined to like it. Please see this post, later in this thread, if you are teetering on the brink of installation. There are some serious bugs that cause real problems for a lot of people, such as scrolling issues in all apps. Nothing to do with Magic Trackpad or JiTouch or Better Touch Tool; these are universal Mavericks issues, though they don't seem to affect all users equally. /EDIT]

I updated to Mavericks (OS X 10.9.1) on Christmas Eve. I was busy putting up the Christmas Tree, so I had time to let installers run, so it seemed like a good time to do it. When I began trying it out for the first time, I was discouraged. It seemed like everything I use did not work at first. But it turns out that there have been fixes for every problem. It just took patience, a little Googling, and some careful observation, trial and error. Now, nearly everything is working.

First, JiTouch would not work with my Magic Trackpad. I'm pretty heavily invested in JiTouch timewise and in my workflow, so I felt defeated when it would not run. Turned out, it was just a preference setting in the System Settings/Privacy/Accessibility. (not System Settings/Accessibility, as I was somehow led to believe)

Then there was the issue of turning off "App Naps" in Digital Performer, JBridge, QuicKeys, and a few other things.

Then I booted Digital Performer. First, Ivory wouldn't work. I updated it to the latest version, and it still didn't want to load. A restart of the computer fixed that.

Next, Vienna Pro wouldn't boot in my V-Racks. Not sure how that got fixed. I just kept rebooting DP (and maybe the computer once) until it finally did work, and it hasn't had a problem since. I had to force-quit DP many times while trying to load projects initially, but I'm happy to say that it's all working now. Again, I'm not sure what caused the initial instability. But as soon as I open a file, I now save it as something with a new name, forcing it to rewrite the file. Maybe that is helping with stability on repeat file openings.

Now it feels very stable. Things respond very well, and it feels like Mavericks is the beginning of a new era. Hard to say why it feels that way; maybe I've read the hype from Apple. But really, it does feel... snappier.

But there is one problem I haven't found the cure for: scrolling over faders. They act ambivalent about which direction they should go. If I scroll down over a fader, it first may try going up. Then it bounces around a little and then either goes up and gets stuck there (unless I click and drag it), or it changes direction and goes where I want it, albeit at a slower speed than I'm scrolling. Sometimes it goes the right direction first, and it behaves as it always has. Other times (unpredictable; probably the very next time) it will go the wrong way and after scrolling a few clicks it will change direction. Then there are the times it will go the wrong way, all the way to the end of the fader's throw, and just stay there no matter which way I scroll. That's when I have to drag or double-click it back to 0dB.

Has anyone else experienced this with scrolling over faders? If so, have you found any settings, anywhere, that fix this behavior? Any tricks?

Thanks,

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
James Steele
Site Administrator

Re: Mavericks and DP8.05 - little bugs, but very pleased

Post by James Steele »

Yipes, Shoosh! I hope you sort that out. I'll feel bad since you asked me how my Mavericks experience was going and I encouraged you to jump in. :(
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
waterstrum
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by waterstrum »

Hi Shoosh,

In a fascinating coincidence, I also made the leap to 10.9.1 yesterday.
I've been sorting out various glitches.
So far, my versions of DP are working fine.
I haven't noticed the scrolling problem you mentioned.
My mouse scroll and magic trackpad are working fine with the DP faders.
Also, the control surfaces are connecting and working in DP7 and 8.

I agree with your assessment about Mavericks.
It is a big step forward.
It certainly fixed a number of my 10.8.5 problems.
Yes... snappier
All is well
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Shooshie wrote:Has anyone else experienced this with scrolling over faders? If so, have you found any settings, anywhere, that fix this behavior? Any tricks?

Thanks,

Shooshie
I'm using the basic Apple wired mouse (the one with the little roller ball) and haven't experienced what you've described. In System Preferences my scrolling speed is set to 1 notch below fastest. That's the only setting I can think of. :?

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

Shooshie wrote:I updated to Mavericks (OS X 10.9.1) on Christmas Eve. I was busy putting up the Christmas Tree, so I had time to let installers run, so it seemed like a good time to do it. When I began trying it out for the first time, I was discouraged. It seemed like everything I use did not work at first. But it turns out that there have been fixes for every problem. It just took patience, a little Googling, and some careful observation, trial and error. Now, nearly everything is working.

First, JiTouch would not work with my Magic Trackpad. I'm pretty heavily invested in JiTouch timewise and in my workflow, so I felt defeated when it would not run. Turned out, it was just a preference setting in the System Settings/Privacy/Accessibility. (not System Settings/Accessibility, as I was somehow led to believe)

Then there was the issue of turning off "App Naps" in Digital Performer, JBridge, QuicKeys, and a few other things.

Then I booted Digital Performer. First, Ivory wouldn't work. I updated it to the latest version, and it still didn't want to load. A restart of the computer fixed that.

Next, Vienna Pro wouldn't boot in my V-Racks. Not sure how that got fixed. I just kept rebooting DP (and maybe the computer once) until it finally did work, and it hasn't had a problem since. I had to force-quit DP many times while trying to load projects initially, but I'm happy to say that it's all working now. Again, I'm not sure what caused the initial instability. But as soon as I open a file, I now save it as something with a new name, forcing it to rewrite the file. Maybe that is helping with stability on repeat file openings.

Now it feels very stable. Things respond very well, and it feels like Mavericks is the beginning of a new era. Hard to say why it feels that way; maybe I've read the hype from Apple. But really, it does feel... snappier.

But there is one problem I haven't found the cure for: scrolling over faders. They act ambivalent about which direction they should go. If I scroll down over a fader, it first may try going up. Then it bounces around a little and then either goes up and gets stuck there (unless I click and drag it), or it changes direction and goes where I want it, albeit at a slower speed than I'm scrolling. Sometimes it goes the right direction first, and it behaves as it always has. Other times (unpredictable; probably the very next time) it will go the wrong way and after scrolling a few clicks it will change direction. Then there are the times it will go the wrong way, all the way to the end of the fader's throw, and just stay there no matter which way I scroll. That's when I have to drag or double-click it back to 0dB.

Has anyone else experienced this with scrolling over faders? If so, have you found any settings, anywhere, that fix this behavior? Any tricks?

Thanks,

Shooshie
As a chicken shi......t, stuck back in 10.6.8, all that sounds scary to me. I know I will have to make a leap soon.....bawk...bawk....
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

At some point, during my OS 10.9.1 and DP 8.05 experience, my keyboard, mouse and trackpad preferences got messed up.

It was was when I realized that, since I was having the same minor issues in DP, Chrome and Word, it wasn't in any of my programs and went hunting for the cause.

Going through, opening, checking and re-saving put me back together. The one that was consistent was Key Repeat had slowed to a crawl - the setting looked ok so I changed it, reset it and saved.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

toodamnhip wrote: As a chicken shi......t, stuck back in 10.6.8, all that sounds scary to me. I know I will have to make a leap soon.....bawk...bawk....
I'm bawkin' and cluckin' right along with you in 10.6.8, which is rock solid for me.

But I did finally get a used Mac (5,1) so I can make the upgrades without any risk or lost time.
DP10.13
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Very smoooth from SL to ML and now Mvrks. No worms in these Apples.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

• In testing, I've found that the fader ambivalence only occurs with the Magic Trackpad, not the Magic Mouse. With the Magic Mouse, I can scroll one finger and the fader zips up and down as it is supposed to.

• JiTouch is not a part of the problem. I've turned it off completely, and it still happens.

• I've tried pretty much every setting on the Trackpad Preferences. No change.

I can't figure it. The Magic Trackpad has always worked perfectly on everything. There should be little difference between scrolling on it vs. the Magic Mouse, and yet there it is: the MM scrolls just fine in DP, while the MT hesitates, goes the wrong way, then finally goes the right way, but in no way possible to do it in time with events happening during music.

• "In DP" made me think: "does it happen elsewhere?" And yes, it does. Folders, windows, other places where a scroll should go smoothly, the Magic Trackpad is not scrolling smoothly. I guess this is an Apple problem, and will have to be fixed by them. There is one thing left for me to try: another trackpad. I do have an older one. I'll give it a try later and see if it does the same thing. If you guys aren't experiencing this, then maybe mine is just broken.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Have you tried turning Bluetooth off, then on and seeing if tries to pair with anything that you don't recognize? I had that issue with a build of OS 10.7. - it was my daughter's 3rd party mouse from another room that was causing the problem.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Dan Worley

Post by Dan Worley »

Shooshie wrote:"In DP" made me think: "does it happen elsewhere?" And yes, it does. Folders, windows, other places where a scroll should go smoothly, the Magic Trackpad is not scrolling smoothly. I guess this is an Apple problem, and will have to be fixed by them. There is one thing left for me to try: another trackpad. I do have an older one. I'll give it a try later and see if it does the same thing. If you guys aren't experiencing this, then maybe mine is just broken.
My first Magic Trackpad went bad in just this fashion, and Apple replaced it under warranty.

I like Mike's idea, though. I never would have thought of that.
DP10.13
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

I've been learning more about Maverick bugs. One of the worst of them is related to the one(s) I pointed out in the first post in this thread: scrolling. It turns out that if you Google "Scrolling in Mavericks" you'll find hundreds of references to this being a major problem for a lot of people. It's not just DP oriented, of course, but everywhere. The Finder, Safari, iTunes, iPhoto, and everywhere. You find out just how much you depend on scrolling when it suddenly doesn't work anymore.

For this reason alone, I would recommend that anyone wait and NOT install Mavericks until this is fixed by Apple.

Shooshie
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

James Steele wrote:Yipes, Shoosh! I hope you sort that out. I'll feel bad since you asked me how my Mavericks experience was going and I encouraged you to jump in. :(
Don't worry, James. I pretty much had my mind made up to do it before we talked. These issues are just now coming out everywhere; who knew?

Shoosh
MIDI Life Crisis

Mavericks and DP8.05 - little bugs, but very pleased

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I'm not seeing scrolling issues in Mavericks. I Googled it and found several "fixes." I also wonder if it's more prominent on the Magic Trackpad than other pointing devices?

This is the first I'm hearing of it and I've been on that OS From day 1.

Sorry to hear you're having problems. I really like this release and do recommend it. No issues on my wife's laptop either (no mouse, just the built in trackpad).

Retrieving some gmail remains an issue, but that's fairly rare.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Hmmmm .... No issues with scrolling on any of the 15 Macs I've updated so far. I'm updating two more tomorrow.