CueMix, Audio Express & Routing

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
Qucifer
Primary DAW OS: Windows

CueMix, Audio Express & Routing

Post by Qucifer »

Hi!

I've been an off-and-on user of MOTU products over the years. My primary audio interface is an RME Fireface 800. Unfortunately the Fireface died yesterday (power supply) and is off to the repair shop. To keep me up and running, I picked up an Audio Express.

I might be spoiled by the audio routing possibilities in the RME. I can't figure out how to make the Audio Express do what I want...

What I want is to be able to control the output level of what the computer is sending in CueMix, alongside the levels from the inputs. I'd like to be able to use CueMix as a "master fader" for my monitor setup.

As it is now, I have to use the master fader in my ASIO audio applications, and the Windows volume control (for regular Windows apps) in order to control the level sent to my monitors.

Surely there's a better way to do this? I'd like to be able to keep my master fader set at unity in my DAW, and then control my monitor level later in the chain?

Is this not possible with the MOTU? Am I missing something obvious?

Thanks so much in advance!

Michael
Qucifer

Re: CueMix, Audio Express & Routing

Post by Qucifer »

Let me try asking this another way...

When I'm using Ableton Live, I use the MOTU ASIO driver and set the outputs to the Main 1&2 on the Audio Express. Now, the master fader in Ableton is linked to the levels being sent to my monitors. Obviously, I'd like to keep the master fader at unity and control the level of my monitors somehow.

The Audio Express really can't do this? Do I really need to add some sort of external level control for my monitors to make this work?
Qucifer

Post by Qucifer »

Would moving to an Ultralite make this situation different?
RonaldDumsfeld
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by RonaldDumsfeld »

I have an Ultralite. No experience with Audio Express.

Strange to say you cannot do what you propose with an Ultralite.

The assigned audio goes direct to the outputs you specify in you app. You can mix in other inputs to the same outputs but you have no direct control over the output via USB.

The possible work arounds include assigning the DAW output to the S/PDIF out, connecting the S/PDIF out to the S/PDIF in and then using that as a mixer input. Doesn't appear to have any glaringly obvious effect on the SQ.

My understanding was that this restriction was limited to the Ultralite and older devices. Newer models should allow you to assign USB out to a mixer channel. So I'm surprised you have this issue with the Express.

Unfortunately MOTU rarely if ever issues updates to driver functionality after a new unit is released and most of the category 1 bugs have been dealt with i.e. 1 or at best 2 releases. After that all dev efforts go to the next new unit. So I doubt it will ever get fixed now.
Qucifer

Post by Qucifer »

Thanks for the response.

Really disappointing that this isn't a no-brainer on this hardware. It seems like obvious functionality that should just work?

I guess the Audio Express is going back.
torrentg

Post by torrentg »

Connect a single cable to the S/PDIF in and out sockets.

In CueMix, make Mix Bus 1 output to S/PDIF. Make sure S/PDIF (INPUT) is muted on Mix Bus one.

On Mix Bus 2, mute all inputs EXCEPT S/PDIF. Set the output of this bus to Main Outs.

Make sure panning is set properly (hard pans), on Mix Bus 2, for the S/PDIF inputs.

Set Windows' default audio device (and programs that can have their own choice too like DAWs, Winamp, etc....) to output to S/PDIF.

Now you can control Windows' volume with the standard Windows Mixer -AND/OR- CueMix Mix Bus two output fader.

Enjoy.

Any questions or further help, let me know.