MOTU Mouse Tip 'O the Day! Good one!!!

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

MOTU Mouse Tip 'O the Day! Good one!!!

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

From Facebook:
MOTU Tip of the Day
November 13, 2013

DP8: Scroll Horizontally with your mouse wheel

Here is a quick tip when working in Digital Performer 8's Sequence Editor and MIDI Edit windows. By default, the scroll wheel on your mouse allows you to scroll vertically through your tracks (Sequence Editor), or through the range of the MIDI Note keyboard (MIDI Editor). Hold the shift key and in both edit windows the scroll wheel on your mouse allows you to scroll horizontally through the timeline of your sequence.
It's like having a two headed mouse!

2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
James Steele
Site Administrator

Re: MOTU Mouse Tip 'O the Day! Good one!!!

Post by James Steele »

Cool. I have a Logitech mouse where the scroll wheel actually tilts on its axis and you can scroll horizontally by pushing the scroll wheel left or right. :dance:
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 RC1, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
MIDI Life Crisis

I have that as well, but with a 3rd party prog (I have Steer mouse and I think you have USB Overdrive) now I can prog the side to side for some other purpose. Maybe PAGE L and R instead of scroll?

I recently had to rebuild my MX Revolution as a micro switch for the left click button died. $6 later I have a new mouse and an extra switch (and the skills now) to fix it again and again. I lean heavily on Steer Mouse and Quickeys in many programs but none so much as DP and Finale. I often don't have to go near the QWERTY kbd for many edits, and now I'll be looking for one more Steer Mouse shortcut in DP and, in fact, in other applications.

The (MOTU) shortcut works in ALL Mac applications! Who knew? Well, apparent, MOTU did and they let us know.

I must face....

2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:I have that as well, but with a 3rd party prog (I have Steer mouse and I think you have USB Overdrive) now I can prog the side to side for some other purpose. Maybe PAGE L and R instead of scroll?
Very cool. Actually I had to give up on USB Overdrive a while ago. I can't remember what the issue I was having with it was, so I'm using Logitech Control Center. I should check to see if there's a newer version, but so far it's working fine in Mavericks, except moving the mouse doesn't wake my monitors from sleep anymore... I have to tap a key on the Mac keyboard.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 RC1, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I had been using my side buttons to page left/right. Combined with this scroll wheel, it will be easier to get exactly where i want to be.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
mocker

Post by mocker »

stubbsonic wrote:I had been using my side buttons to page left/right. Combined with this scroll wheel, it will be easier to get exactly where i want to be.
Guys ! Why not try Apple's Magic Trackpad ? I got used to it pretty fast and when used with BetterTouchTool, you can easily replace a multi button mouse and even more. I feel it's very natural, for instance to 'touch' a waveform to edit it (like pinching in & out for zooming etc.). I think I now got an interesting set of gestures for a lot of basic tasks in DP.
Well, my 2 cents anyway…
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

I'm interested in that trackpad. But I still really like Apple's Mighty Mouse. You can scroll every which way with the mini-trackball, do two button commands, and add things to the "squeeze" command that suit your style. I've heard reports of problems with them, but I keep mine clean and it's been working for years. If it ever dies, though, I'll likely try the trackpad.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
MIDI Life Crisis

I have the Magic Trackpad but hardly use it. The 11 button, 2 wheel MX Revolution is simply indispensable.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:I have the Magic Trackpad but hardly use it. The 11 button, 2 wheel MX Revolution is simply indispensable.
Just watched a video on the newer version of that (Performance Mouse MX), and that looks like the bomb. Hmmm. I may retire my Magic Mouse early. :)
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
jbyerly1

Post by jbyerly1 »

Gravity Jim wrote:
MIDI Life Crisis wrote:I have the Magic Trackpad but hardly use it. The 11 button, 2 wheel MX Revolution is simply indispensable.
Just watched a video on the newer version of that (Performance Mouse MX), and that looks like the bomb. Hmmm. I may retire my Magic Mouse early. :)

I find the greatest info here. Just bought the mouse
Mac Pro 4,1, OS 10.9.5, 2.93 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 32 GB 1066 MHz, DP 8.07, Apogee Ensemble, UA SOLO 610, Euphonix MC Control & MC mix, JBL Monitors, Ocean Way Drums Gold, Komplete 7, Waves Classic Studio Bundle,Stylus RMX, iZotope RX,1TB glyph Drive, Carvin 6 string Bass
http://www.HorizonEntertainment-NC.com
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Hmm. Mine works horizontally without using the shift key (standard wired Apple mouse). Am I missing something?

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
MIDI Life Crisis

Gravity Jim wrote:
It's close but not quite. They removed the thumb wheel and the top button behind the main wheel now only changes the wheel to free wheeling or with click stops. The MX Revolution has a clutch built into the top wheel that is faster and easier to control. The thumb wheel is three buttons. Forward, backward, and click. All are programmable via Steer Mouse.

If my MX Revolution ever died completely I'd buy a new one from some guy on eBay or Amazon for $300. That's how much of a difference there is. I bought the new version while I was rebuilding the old one and thought about keeping it as a backup but I'd rather use a Magic Trackpad than the "new" version.

Maybe I'll get my geek on and do a short video later. The increase in productivity with the MX R. is really that much better.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

Phil O wrote:Hmm. Mine works horizontally without using the shift key (standard wired Apple mouse). Am I missing something?

Phil

No, that's what they do. I'm guessing you need the shift key with other, non-Apple mice with wheels instead of trackballs.
Jim Bordner

Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

I've been VERY particular about the input devices I've used. When you're working all day in DP, sometimes for 36 hours straight, you learn that you have certain tolerances beyond which you'll encourage carpal tunnel syndrome or other injury to your wrists and hands. I did that for 20 years nonstop, and I didn't have time for health problems. Also, I needed to work fast. No time for repetitive actions that required menus and lots of mousing around. I needed buttons that did what I needed for them to do.

For many, many years I used a Kensington wireless Turbo Mouse Pro, which had a total of 13 buttons and scroll wheel, in addition to a very large trackball. Easy on the wrist.

But when I tried out the Apple Magic Trackpad, I knew I'd found my once and future input device. I'm dead serious when I say that I immediately put the Turbo Mouse in the closet and never went back. The Magic Trackpad is all I have used since the first day I tried it.

But what makes the Magic Trackpad so good is a 3rd party extension called JiTouch. It has a programmable interface that enables you to save shortcuts for each individual app, and assign those shortcuts to a trackpad gesture. It extends the number of gestures many times over the number that Apple gives you. In addition, it adds a new set of gestures of the alphabet, so that you can draw a letter on the pad and trigger a shortcut. For example, I can draw "S" for save, or B for Browser (Safari), H for Hide, and many others. Like the other gestures, characters can be universal or application specific.

Since all gestures can be application specific, the number of gestures possible is pretty much without limit. Not many trackballs or mice can make that claim. Of course, you can combine them with QuicKeys, but you can also combine JiTouch with QuicKeys.

I've noticed from time to time when I'm pretty busy that my hand seems to be speaking sign-language. It all responds perfectly. I've added over a hundred gestures over the past few years, and I rarely have to look one up to remember it. You just kind of remember it the way you remember words.

I DID buy a Magic Mouse, figuring that it might be the best of both worlds. It's part mouse and part trackpad. But honestly, it is just more trouble than the Magic Trackpad.

Trust me. The Magic Trackpad becomes a whole new device with JiTouch. Don't even THINK of using the trackpad without it.

http://www.jitouch.com

A little advice for learning to use the Magic Trackpad:
1) put your old devices out of reach. You've got to commit. Within a week or two it will be easy. In a month, it'll be 2nd nature.
2) when you need to move the cursor a very small amount for precision clicking, rock the tip of your finger rather than trying to slide it.
3) the Magic Trackpad has two "buttons" you can activate. That is, two hardware buttons in the form of the two feet at the stern end of it. You can have one be your right-click and the other your left-click. I recommend not doing this at first. (I don't do it at all. I use the Control Key to "right-click") Until you are familiar with where you are clicking, having one of the feet act as your right-click only serves to confuse.
4) Watch the gesture animations in the apple prefs and learn how to move. Watch the gesture animations as you mouse over each option in JiTouch to see how they move.
5) VERY IMPORTANT: use a wrist rest to elevate your wrist above the trackpad. You should never have to bend your wrist back to perform a gesture on the trackpad.

Practice makes perfect, and the Magic Trackpad is practically perfect!

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
MIDI Life Crisis

I have the jiTouch thing and the MTPad. I find that I get the results I need with a combination of SteerMouse, MX Revolution, and Quickeys. I can navigate the $hit out of most any screen in any app and still have buttons to apply all sorts of customized processes, switch apps, etc. jitouch is very full featured, so much so that I find it somewhat daunting. Maybe when I'm old(er) and grey(er) I'll check (er) out a bit more. Eh?
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS