Charge Extra for Sound Effects?

For discussion of the music business in general

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
For discussion of the music business in general from studio administration, contracts, artist promotion, gigging, etc.
dubaifox
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Charge Extra for Sound Effects?

Post by dubaifox »

I have a fee structure for original music.

When projects come along that have a lot of sound effects do you charge extra?

If so how much? Per hit?

Thanks
DP5.13, 2xMacPro 2.66, OS 10.4.8,01v96
3xVisionDaw PC, Pro Tools 7.3, Reason 3.0 RMX,Trilogy, Atmosphere, Platinum, RA,Komplete
Apogee Rosetta 200

www.musichf.com
m2
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by m2 »

I can only tell you what we do - obviously you can have to structure your deal if a way that feels comfortable to you.

To charge per SFX is like what Sounddogs does and does not take into account the time to sync and edit the various efx together for one 'hit per moment in the project.
Sound effects editors charge usually a day rate or an houly rate based on some prorate of their day rate. Sound Designers do the same but generally at a higher rate since they are having to creat the sounds from scratch, involving samplers and lots of plugins that the sound editors don't mess with most of the time.

It's always a different process from any scoring or music creation. For me if it's just one or two efx that are needed on top of the music then I don't really charge for it. If they actually are trying to get the composer to do their sound efx editing then that's more like what I described above and it is a separate process altogether. Read the credits on any TV show of feature film and you get an idea how it all breaks down.
Dual 2G-G5/2G ram/Digidesign HD2 Accel/Sony DMX R-100/MeyerHD-1&NS-10s - Hafler Ars Nova/DP5.12/PT7.3.1/2.0+TByte/GigaS3