Tempo change with a curve

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Anders Peev
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Tempo change with a curve

Post by Anders Peev »

Hi friends!

How do I stretch the the tempo from, say 56 bpm to 105 bpm between two markers? I'm doing a commercial for a major Swedish food company and i want to raise the tempo gradually between two specific spots/sync-points in the film.

Yours,

Anders
stubbsonic

Re: Tempo change with a curve

Post by stubbsonic »

Select the conductor track and type SHIFT-G to open the graphic editor. SHIFT-O will open your tools (if they aren't already open). Next to the pencil is the "reshape flavor" . Click on that and choose the curve you want or straight line. Make sure the conductor window is zoomed and scrolled so you can see the time range you want. Then choose the pencil and draw the tempo ramp where you want it. Watch the time & tempo indicator on the upper left part of the window so it is in the measure/beat you want and starts & ends at the desired tempo.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Anders Peev

Post by Anders Peev »

Thanks Stubbsonic!

I have already tried this and it didn't solve my problem, since the curve wont end at the marker even if I drag it to a marker, which is natural since the curve of the curve affects the number of beats and bars depending on how steep I make it.

But I did find a semi-sollution in the change tempo dialog box: When chosing a curved tempo change there is a possibillity to foresee where the curve will end in real time depending on the values you put in. After a number of trial and errors I finally got it to work. Sort of :)
jbyerly1

Post by jbyerly1 »

I have had really good success with the "Change Tempo" and the different options available
Mac Pro 4,1, OS 10.9.5, 2.93 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 32 GB 1066 MHz, DP 8.07, Apogee Ensemble, UA SOLO 610, Euphonix MC Control & MC mix, JBL Monitors, Ocean Way Drums Gold, Komplete 7, Waves Classic Studio Bundle,Stylus RMX, iZotope RX,1TB glyph Drive, Carvin 6 string Bass
http://www.HorizonEntertainment-NC.com
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I see. I didn't think of that-- i.e., the marker is a moving target based on your tempo ramp.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

jbyerly1 wrote:I have had really good success with the "Change Tempo" and the different options available
+ 1000

The Change Tempo command was born to do exactly this. Its options offer a wealth of features and solutions to deal with all kinds of tempo scenarios.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
Anders Peev

Post by Anders Peev »

Thanks guys!!

Sorry for the slow reply. I've been on a deadline with a mix, The Change Tempo command did the trick for me, but I frankly didn't understand exactly how. Just by (almost) randomly changing the diffrent parameters I managed do create my perfect tempo map!