Saving Sounds In Various Formats for the Mach V 3

Discussion of all things related to MOTU's awesome MachFive software sampler.

Moderator: James Steele

ronjams
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Saving Sounds In Various Formats for the Mach V 3

Post by ronjams »

As I have gotten more sounds into the M5, my need has become greater to save these sounds in a format that UVI uses like the .UFS or .Dat I don't know how to create these formats on the mac and therefore I use the .dmg or .Iso Is there anyone here that could recommend a course of action or step by step instructions on how to accomplish this process with using the .UFS or .Dat format?
Mac Studio M1 Max DIGITAL PERFORMER1248/8pre ESFalcon/kontakt/Unify & A LOT MORE GEAR
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: Saving Sounds In Various Formats for the Mach V 3

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I don't think MachFive can save other formats, just read them. You might be able to save them in the UVI or other systems but whether or not they will be readable in M5 is another issue. I've never tried save as UVI from M5 and I could be wrong, but my guess is you can't and have to use the other engine to do so. Again, it may not be readable by M5.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I think UVI uses UFS as a disk image/volume format. You could probably find a utility that would convert a load of files to that format, but you'd need to save the specific files in it in the format Mach Five reads anyway, so it's not clear what the advantage is over a .dmg file, or simply putting the files in a OS X folder.

If you poke around in MacOSXHints, you'll find methods of creating a UFS format disk in an image file. These are old articles and you'd probably have to rely on Unix commands in Terminal.

E.g. http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?s ... 8025117258
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
ronjams

Post by ronjams »

<I think UVI uses UFS as a disk image/volume format. You could probably find a utility that would convert a load of files to that format, but you'd need to save the specific files in it in the format Mach Five reads anyway, so it's not clear what the advantage is over a .dmg file, or simply putting the files in a OS X folder.

If you poke around in MacOSXHints, you'll find methods of creating a UFS format disk in an image file. These are old articles and you'd probably have to rely on Unix commands in Terminal.>

I appreciate your clues which I will check out later. I'm not sure if there is an advantage or not but its got to be a reason why the programmers are using this image format [.USF or .Dat] to put these sounds into and as a way of backing up my library, I would prefer to use the format that they use and the order the arrangement that they put them in when viewing the various folders and sounds in the Mach V 3. I still would like to get step by step instructions on how to do this.
Mac Studio M1 Max DIGITAL PERFORMER1248/8pre ESFalcon/kontakt/Unify & A LOT MORE GEAR
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Just a couple of thoughts:

Wouldn't one of the reasons they do this be that it prevents accidental overwriting of the factory presets?

Could another be that it negates the need for separate patch and sample folders, thus simplifying the purchased product/s?

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here