Audio express and cue mix confusion

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
Justin_K
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Audio express and cue mix confusion

Post by Justin_K »

Hi. I'm a little confused at the relationship between the hardware and software. I hope someone can help.

I can't seem to adjust volumes from the software.

I was under the impression that cue mix could control all the outputs of the Audio Express.

I want to have some control over the headphone output, but visually, the only output signal is the main mix out, and even that is unaffected by moving the fader in cue mix.

I realize there are knobs on the hardware to control the main volume and headphones, but aren't they in cue mix too?

Confused, can someone please assist?

thanks in advance.

Justin
Mac Pro OSX 10.10.5
2 x 3.33 Ghz 6-Core Intel Xeon
42 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
DP 9.13
xaplax

Re: Audio express and cue mix confusion

Post by xaplax »

i have exactly the same problem as you
cuemix worked on my 2011 mac air
then i upgraded to a 2013 mac pro w the newest OS

the VU meter indicates a signal as does the hardware but all of the software controls are nonfunctional
i downloaded the new motu driver but it didnt change anything
can someone help us please!!!
Justin_K

Post by Justin_K »

Thanks for your reply.

Perhaps someone can confirm that the hardware SHOULD respond to EVERY software control.
Then at least I know it's an issue, rather than just my own ignorance. (I'm not particularly tech savvy so it would not surprise me)

Thanks.
Mac Pro OSX 10.10.5
42 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
DP 9.13
Agent of Random

Post by Agent of Random »

cuemix is a mixer for the inputs only. it will turn down the volume of audio that passes through it (like a mic plugged into input 1) but will not effect other audio (like something you are playing from itunes.) same is true for other motu hardware.
Justin_K

Post by Justin_K »

Thanks for your reply too.

It seems odd then that the software has faders for ALL outputs.

Also, it is odd that the VU display for the headphone output lies dormant when there is clearly audio coming out.

I hope someone can understand my confusion with this
Mac Pro OSX 10.10.5
42 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
DP 9.13
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

"cuemix is a mixer for the inputs only" confuses me too. I don't have an Audio Express, but Cuemix on the 828 can control the level for an mix bus routed to the headphone output.

Seems unlikely you cannot do the same with the Audio Express. The blurb on the Audio Express says "You get a separate mix for main outs, line outs, S/PDIF digital out, and phones." The diagram at the bottom of this page clearly shows a mix bus with an output level slider. You ought to be able to route another mix buss to the phones, and also see and output level fader.
http://www.motu.com/products/motuaudio/ ... ixing.html
You might want to look at MOTU Audio Setup too and see if there is an option to have the headphones mirror one of the other outputs if you don't want to set up a separate mix for phones.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Justin_K

Post by Justin_K »

If anyone wants my Audio Express.

it will be on eBay next week. Otherwise send me a message.

thanks.
Mac Pro OSX 10.10.5
42 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
DP 9.13
Agent of Random

Post by Agent of Random »

bayswater wrote:"cuemix is a mixer for the inputs only" confuses me too.
trust me, i was confused when i first used it too. I guess the thing to understand is that Cuemix ONLY effects the physical inputs of the device. so if you have three inputs routed through cuemix, the master volume in cuemix will turn all three down. if you have audio playing back from iTunes, iTunes will be unaffected.
crduval

Post by crduval »

Justin_K wrote:Hi. I'm a little confused at the relationship between the hardware and software. I hope someone can help.

I can't seem to adjust volumes from the software.

I was under the impression that cue mix could control all the outputs of the Audio Express.

I want to have some control over the headphone output, but visually, the only output signal is the main mix out, and even that is unaffected by moving the fader in cue mix.

I realize there are knobs on the hardware to control the main volume and headphones, but aren't they in cue mix too?

Confused, can someone please assist?

thanks in advance.

Justin
Don't sell it yet, Justin...

I have a micro express - I bet this works the same way as yours. When you launch cuemix, look up in the menu bar. There is an item called "Phones" there. The phones can be assigned to monitor the active mix or to mirror the main outs, or to any analog output pair, including a dedicated headphone bus. If it is set to mirror the main outs, there is no independent control over the headphones; the monitor level control in cuemix affects both.

If you want independent control of your headphone volume in cuemix, you have to assign the headphones to their own bus using this menu. Then, click on the "mixes" tab and set up a mix to feed bus one and route bus one to the headphones in the pull down menu above the right most fader. That fader will now control the volume of your headphones.

The only problem is that I have not been able to independently route the computer's audio to the headphones after doing this; it seems to be hard wired to the main outs. I can only mix the hardware inputs. But, depending on what you are doing, this might work for you.

Hope this makes sense, its always a little oblique for me trying to describe what's happening with cuemix...

Regards,

Chris
M2 MacBook Air, DP11, MOTU MX-4, MOTU Mach5, EWQLSO Platinum, Acoustic Samples B5, UAD Waterfall Organ, EWQL Platinum Pianos, UVI Falcon, UAD-2 Duo, MOTU Ultralite mk5, K2600XS controller
Justin_K

Post by Justin_K »

Thanks for your helpful posts.

I will delve deeper this week :)
Mac Pro OSX 10.10.5
42 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
DP 9.13