Ramp Automation

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
bigswole31
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Ramp Automation

Post by bigswole31 »

I watched a video on youtube where a guy was using LOGIC to create a string part. Here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ce989ZsUWuA

Notice that Logic uses ramp automation for the MIDI CC information and the editing was fast and easy. I know that DP uses ramps with soundbite/audio track/plugin automation, but as far as I can tell, DP only uses break points with MIDI CC info.

I've been a MOTU user since Performer 6. I have always disliked the breakpoints thing but it was only a single dent in an otherwise stellar program.

So did I miss something or am I correct that DP doesn't offer this? If DP can facilitae such easy editing of CC info as LOGIC, I'll be one happy camper. Trying to draw curves with the mouse just doesn't work as smoothly or as fast as what is demonstrated on this LOGIC video.

Thanks!
8-Core 2.8 Mac Pro, 10GB RAM, OS 10.8.5, DP 7.24, Full suite of Spectrasonics, Arturia, Native Instruments, Waves, Toontrack, and EastWest software, Hart Dynamics e-drum kit with a TD-20 module and various hardware synths, modules, and controllers.
FMiguelez

Re: Ramp Automation

Post by FMiguelez »

I didn't watch the video, but it sounds that you need to use Lines Mode to edit CCs. You can access this from the menu at the bottom left of the GE window.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

One more thing:
You can control the ramp density in the Preferences. Usually the default works fine, but depending on your sound sources, you may need to tweak it.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
bigswole31

Post by bigswole31 »

I'll check it out when I get home.

Thanks! I'll report back.
8-Core 2.8 Mac Pro, 10GB RAM, OS 10.8.5, DP 7.24, Full suite of Spectrasonics, Arturia, Native Instruments, Waves, Toontrack, and EastWest software, Hart Dynamics e-drum kit with a TD-20 module and various hardware synths, modules, and controllers.