Keyboard controller?

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
Julia123
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Keyboard controller?

Post by Julia123 »

I just moved and am setting up a new 'studio'. I'm always awkward with my full size digital MIDI piano in front of me with my computer keypad on top of that, with a desk after all that. I need to keep a keyboard in front of me since I often read Quickscribe while recording new parts. I'm thinking of purchasing a four octave MIDI or USB keyboard to remedy this. Something with a low profile to set on my desk, and then attaching a keypad/mouse tray that slides from under the desk. I thought it would be simple, just buy a little cheap keyboard and be done with it since I will have my good one for when I need to play actual piano. Now I see all these controllers I know very little about but am very intrigued. I like the idea of using real knobs and sliders to control DP but I don't want to get bogged down in a whole new world of making things work together that I never really needed. Also, I intend to also have my full size piano off to the side connected at the same time so it will be ready to go at all times for actual piano parts. Any suggestions or warnings? BTW, I saw an Axiom 49 that had very nice feeling semi weighted keys and seemed kind of good for the price. I really need to keep the cost down. Thanks.
iMac 27" 4.2 GHz i7 1TB SSD. 40 GB RAM. Apogee One.
FMiguelez
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Keyboard controller?

Post by FMiguelez »

Hi, Julia.

I can recommend, based on experience, any of the Novation Keyboards.

They are not expensive, they have many different sizes (even without keyboard!), and you can pick a model that has many or few knobs, faders and buttons. I have the 2 octave and 5 octave ones (SL MkII).

I couldn't be happier with them. All buttons and faders just work seamlessly, either, by using Automap or the "manual mode". This is how I control every aspect of VSL's VE Pro and VI Pro, MachFive 3, Waves, Kontakt, etc.

Check them out. I think you might like them.
http://global.novationmusic.com/MIDI-co ... s/sl-mkii/
Last edited by FMiguelez on Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
HCMarkus

Sit on it and rotate

Post by HCMarkus »

Instead of giving up on your nice, weighted-action 88 key instrument for what will feel like a toy by comparison, why not add a second computer monitor and place it and your instrument to one side of your desk at a 90 degree angle? With the proper swivel chair, you can twist and shout your way to compositional freedom.

That's what I did: Two monitors front and center and a third to my right with the piano-action S90ES keyboard. I have a "toy" keyboard (unweighted synth-action Motif) above my main ax ready to rock when it's time to smear some organ runs. I like it. Maybe you will, too!
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I kind of like the way my Edirol PCR 800 sits over the mouse and keyboard but in front of me. The PC2 (88 notes) is to the right and I can swing my chair 90 degrees to use the full keyboard. It makes entering in Finale a breeze, as well as non-piano tracks (and even some piano tracks) easy in other apps such as DP. I customized the desk a little but not really all that much. The LED lights over the keyboard ($50 at IKEA) help a lot, day and night, and you can change the color to every color of the spectrum (within reason). IU just wish it would stay that neat all the time. Not gonna happen as long as I have projects working.

http://www.midilifecrisis.com/IMG_1320.JPG
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Julia123

Post by Julia123 »

I can recommend, based on experience, any of the Novation Keyboards.

They are not expensive, they have many different sizes (even without keyboard!), and you can pick a model that has many or few knobs, faders and buttons. I have the 2 octave and 5 octave ones (SL MkII).

I couldn't be happier with them. All buttons and faders just work seamlessly, either, by using Automap or the "manual mode". This is how I control every aspect of VSL's VE Pro and VI Pro, MachFive 3, Waves, Kontakt, etc.
Wow! I checked it out and Automap is amazing. I had no idea. I would love to actually get away from my mouse a bit more often. I'm going to go check one out tomorrow.
Instead of giving up on your nice, weighted-action 88 key instrument for what will feel like a toy by comparison, why not add a second computer monitor and place it and your instrument to one side of your desk at a 90 degree angle?
I actually did try that a few months back with an old monitor that still works. I liked the second monitor but it just wasn't quite right for me. (Now that you mention that I might bring it back with the new set up.) It might be something about not having the transport controls in my line of view with the piano as I jump back and forth between everything. I even learned to use my left hand to mouse so I could have the piano to my right where it needed to be in my old studio. (it actually started off as an attempt to nurse a shoulder issue I have -----).
MIDI Life Crisis

Oh, as far as the transport controls, notice theres a wired Mac keyboard on the PC2. The black keyboard is a Logitech solar power one that gets it's juice from the LEDs. The monitors are all on swivel stands and can rotate to portrait for setting parts in Finale or working on other documents that way. And yeah, that's DP on the screen and the little red/blue lights are the Track 16. I so love this arrangement.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Julia123

Post by Julia123 »

I kind of like the way my Edirol PCR 800 sits over the mouse and keyboard but in front of me.
That set up might be exactly what I'm looking for. How far out does the bottom surface with the Logitech keypad extend? It's kind of hard to tell from the photo. Is that built into the desk or is if a slide out? BTW, the mouse pad is awesome, the LED lights idea is going to be a must have AND----, I now have enough room for my big ole black music stand, which will fit perfectly in that corner space like yours is instead of having my music and notes laying on top of everything pushing keys I don't want pushed. Thanks.
MIDI Life Crisis

Julia123 wrote: That set up might be exactly what I'm looking for. How far out does the bottom surface with the Logitech keypad extend?
Full extension slide out with plenty of room for a trackpad. The mouse pad is called a mouse rug. A bit pricey ($30 ish?) but very nice to the touch and incredibly durable. To wash it you just use plenty of warm water with dish soap. Comes out like new. Worth every penny!
Julia123 wrote: It's kind of hard to tell from the photo. Is that built into the desk or is if a slide out? BTW, the mouse pad is awesome, the LED lights idea is going to be a must have AND----, I now have enough room for my big ole black music stand, which will fit perfectly in that corner space like yours is instead of having my music and notes laying on top of everything pushing keys I don't want pushed. Thanks.
Yeah, the music stand in the corner is great. I can use it for the desk or the piano and just use it for temporarily holding documents, etc.

This is basically the desk but I think the one pictured may be smaller then the one I have. I got it on clearance (assembled) at Staples for about $100 a few years ago. I added a glass shelf between the near field monitor shelves (with rubber feet to keep it from sliding). The Edirol slides under the shelf to clear the entire desktop for other work. It's not clear in the picture, but it's in the "use" position now. I can slide the Edirol completely under the monitor to open up lots of desk space. I've had custom made furniture that didn't work this well. It's really perfect for a smallish room and moving from piano to desktop. Very ergonomic.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

For a really small and nicely responsive keyboard, you might consider a Korg MicroKEY 37.

It's small, has great velocity response, decent feel, and has two additional USB ports (like a hub). It has octave shift buttons, pitch wheel and mod wheel (no built-in sustain without a hack). For secondary parts, and notation entry, it's good.

But if you want some hardware knobs/sliders/buttons to control DP, you'd need something else.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
MIDI Life Crisis

I noticed on the link to the desk you have to buy like 50 or something like that and they only cost $26! I think they sold for 10x that here. What the...
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Although I've already written about this one extensively in another topic, you can do no better than the Arturia controllers -- preferably the previous generation, which may or may not stay in the catalogue (I got mine at what seemed a blow-out price right before the new ones were announced earlier this year).

The previous generation is the slimmest on the market for full-key along with lots of controllers (Alesis makes some smaller profile ones but they have no controllers just keys). This has the most accurate and detailed MIDI spec of any currently available controller. Made of metal, built to last, and comes with free software (a selection from their soft synths).

The new generation is slightly deeper, with more controllers, bending to competitive pressure no doubt. Unfortunately this means the newest ones aren't as easy to slot on a computer table in front of the computer monitor.

Arturia makes the ONLY currently available 61-note slim controller. That's why I upgraded from the useless 25-key Alesis Q25 (the kinds of bass and lead lines I write -- and especially the orchestral parts -- need a minimum of 37-49 keys and usually more, without the hassle of constantly transposing while playing and accounting for any board's key count being relative to the tonic of the key you're in vs. the published spec, unless you like transposing by whole notes vs. octaves).
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
Julia123

Post by Julia123 »

For a really small and nicely responsive keyboard, you might consider a Korg MicroKEY 37
Love the price! Now I'm all excited about having a few knobs and faders though so I'm going to check out the Aurtia's (suggested by mhsmeider), and Novation's. I really got to watch the $$ and desk space though.
I noticed on the link to the desk you have to buy like 50 or something like that and they only cost $26! I think they sold for 10x that here. What the...
I saw that!! If they weren't so heavy and expensive to ship I'd think about getting into the office desk resale business :D I did end up going to Staples and found the perfect size glass version of your style for $149. (it has to be shipped) That's pretty good I guess. (So that makes it $14 wholesale from China?) I'm not sure about the glass but if it is a problem I'll just cover it with something.

Thanks everyone.
kshrieve

Post by kshrieve »

You might as well include the Samson Graphite 49 in your comparison shopping. I've only had mine a short while, but I like it a lot.

Here's Craig Anderton's review of it: http://www.harmonycentral.com/t5/Expert ... p/34631436
MacBook Pro 2.7GHz i7 - 8G RAM - OSX 10.11.6 - DP 9.12 - MachFive 3.2.1 - EZdrummer 2 - Samson
Graphite 49 - Godin Freeway SA - Roland GR-20 synth pedal - NI Guitar Rig 5 and Kontrol pedal
Julia123

Post by Julia123 »

I went to Guitar center to try some of the MIDI controllers. Their keyboard guy wasn't in so I was on my own. Other than liking the keyboard feel of the M Audio Axiom the most, I couldn't see any big difference in the rest. There was no Edirol or Arturia to try though :-(
I really like the thin look of what I've seen on line of the Arturia.
Anyhow, in my research, the only MIDI Controller that clearly states it works with Digital Performer is Novation. M-Audio has a DAW support list that DP isn't even in and the others never mention a complete list. Obviously the other controllers all work with DP or people here would be using them--
I'm such a novice I barely get the concept of set up. All I've used my Digital Piano for is notes, Pitch/mod wheel, and sustain which all just magically work. I do see in DP where you set up control surface but the manual really doesn't get into it very clearly. I'm thinking I'm safest as a novice with Novation and their Automap in my case. Are they all pretty obvious in set up or is there a steep learning curve?
MIDI Life Crisis

I've had nothing but bad luck with all M-Audio hardware, form controllers, to interfaces, to speakers. The components are cheaply made. Did you go to the GC in Hollywood? If so, I'd try Sam Ash across the street as well. ALso, check out Westlake Pro Music in No. Hollywood/Universal City area. You might want to call ahead. I'm assuming, of course, you're in the LA area.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS