In praise of DP's pedal effects

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
David Polich
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

In praise of DP's pedal effects

Post by David Polich »

I've been putting DP's new guitar pedal effects to extensive use over the past
week, and I just gotta say, I think these are the best software guitar pedal
emulations I've ever heard. They really do sound like their hardware
counterparts...they all seem to add that elusive "iron oxide" coating to the
track they are inserted on..I don't know how to describe it any other way.

Kudos to Magic Dave who I know figured prominently in the development of these
plugs. I'd say they're MOTU's best. I highly recommend spending a day or two
with all of them if you haven't done so.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
Prime Mover

Re: In praise of DP's pedal effects

Post by Prime Mover »

The few times I've used them I've been very impressed.

But you know what would be a VERY VERY cool feature that would make them all "come together" (literally), would be some kind of consolidated "pedal board" type of host plugin, sort of like Guitar Rig, but where you could put any AU/MAS/VST effect. Many times I'll have a number of plugins that I think of as one effect. With some kind of consolidated plugin, I could experiment freely, with as many plugins as possible without having to worry about my current insert limit, and it's all tucked away neatly in one master plugin that I could enable/disable if need-be. I really love Guitar Rig because of this... but my main gripe is that it doesn't load AUs/VSTs. If MOTU did this, I could practically kiss GR goodbye!

As it is right now, even though the MOTU guitar effects are really good, I feel a little less likely to use them because they're a little less easy to manage.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
Armageddon

Post by Armageddon »

I haven't tried out a lot of MOTU's MAS guitar pedals, but I can honestly say that the Analog Chorus pedal is 100 percent dead-on. Up until recently, I was using Waves' MondoMod plug (which itself is pretty spectacular) for chorusing rhythm guitars, but A/B comparisons didn't even come close. Like David Polich said, there's just something about MOTU's pedal emulations that a generalized plug seems to lack. The more I keep dismissing the bundled plugs/VIs, the more crow I eat when I wind up using a lot of them in a mix ...
Mid- 2012 MacBook Pro Quad-core i7 2.7 GHz/16 GB RAM/2 TB SSD (primary)/1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (secondary) • OS X 10.14.6 • DP 11.1 • Pro Tools 12.8.1 • Acoustica Pro 7.4.0 • Avid MBox Pro 3G • Korg K61 • IMDb Page
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I like the Analog Flanger. Great emulation of the Electric Mistress.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

I usually use Pod Farm 2 and I like the patch format - however I have started using the DP guitar plug ins in conjunction with Line 6 Pod Farm - say one guitar Pod Farm the other guitar DP Guitar plug ins. I have managed to save a few setups as Insert Settings (once I found the folder to store it all in) and this works pretty well. As for the chorus pedal, I have the Boss original and the DP emulation is hard to tell apart from the real thing. I now have DP Guitar Inserts on my main V rack along with Pod Farm. Both do the Rat pretty well too. So altogether very usable now that DP includes Soloist (a Mesa Boogie type sim?) and AC30 amps.
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.3, Studio One 6.6 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
jbyerly1

Post by jbyerly1 »

Love the AC-30. Using it on a VI and really made a huge difference. Got some pretty good bass sounds with Live Room B. Can't wait to have time to dig into that one
Mac Pro 4,1, OS 10.9.5, 2.93 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 32 GB 1066 MHz, DP 8.07, Apogee Ensemble, UA SOLO 610, Euphonix MC Control & MC mix, JBL Monitors, Ocean Way Drums Gold, Komplete 7, Waves Classic Studio Bundle,Stylus RMX, iZotope RX,1TB glyph Drive, Carvin 6 string Bass
http://www.HorizonEntertainment-NC.com
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

Thanks to this thread I spent some time this morning getting to know Live Room B, finally. I like it a lot... my Precision Deluxe through a Radial JDI into the console pres always sounds pretty darn good, but Live Room B gives that channel a whole new palette. The Ported 15 cab with a close up SM7 and the distant Omni gets a very authentic "recorded in the room" jazz tone. Nice.

DId the same thing with Live Room G and a Strat, but was less impressed.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
BobK

Post by BobK »

I've played around with the phaser, flanger, delay, and chorus on the Scarbee Rhodes and like them a LOT. Thank you MOTU!

I agree that a virtual rack or pedalboard would be nice. Overloud's VKFX, which I also really like, puts its modules in a rack, allowing you to rearrange and enable/disable units as needed (which saves CPU load), as well as save presets.
Bob

M1 Max Mac Studio - 64 GB RAM - macOS 14.1.2
MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012) - 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7 - 16 GB RAM - macOS 10.15.7
DP 11.23
Metric Halo ULN-8 mk4
groove

Post by groove »

I really love Springamabob; it is prety convincing. I no longer instantiate a UAD Roland Space Echo just to get the spring reverb (which is fanstastic btw).

I agree with James, the Analog Flanger is spot on.
---------
iMac Pro 3 GHz 10-Core Xeon E5, 64GB ram OS X 10.15.7, UA Apollo 8 Quad + Satellite Quad, UA 2192, Waves V12, LASS Full, VSL, Korg MS-20, Elektron A4, Moog SlimPhatty, NI Komplete13, ROLI, Soundtoys 5, Arturia V Collection, GForce Oddity, Serum.
cbergm7210

Post by cbergm7210 »

+ on the Analog Chorus pedal. It replaced my TC Powercore Chorus where others had failed.
Mac Pro 2.66GHz Dual Quad Core Nahalem, 16 Gigs RAM, DP 9, RME Fireface 800, MOTU MIDIexpress 128, Mac OS 10.8.5

http://www.rfjmusic.com