converting loops within tracks to soundbite

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
usbovine
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

converting loops within tracks to soundbite

Post by usbovine »

I've recently started using the loop function within tracks. I'd like to convert entire loop lengths to soundbites. Bouncing and freezing are both cumbersome; they require bypassing fx, mix level adjustment, etc. My goal is to select the length of the loop and perform a function similar to "Merge Soundbites" out of which a new long soundbite is created and replaces the loop. On the track, pre-mixer, not real-time.

Any ideas? Am I missing something? Thank you!
bralston
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: converting loops within tracks to soundbite

Post by bralston »

You left me asking the same question you did...but for a very different reason. :?: What loops are you using? Apple loops? REx files? Spectrasonics RMX? And I suspect that your concept of how to use them in a piece is, at least not in my experience, not what seems to be...umm...common.

If they are MIDI loops...why are you not just copy/pasting them back to back the length of what you need? Bounce or freeze to audio as you need to (through fx or not)...and there is your entire track.

If these are audio loops again...copy/paste/repeat them as much as you want...say a drum beat loop that is 4 measures but you want a 16 measure segment. Copy is back to back 4 times. done. Add you other layers and record out to your final summed stereo mix, etc...

Are you playing with an imported loop with a repeat on the timeline at the beginning and end of the loop or something?

:)
Regards,

Brian Ralston

- MacPro 7,1 3.2 GHz 16-core Intel Xeon W, 384GB 2933MHz DDR4 RAM, OS 10.15.7, 2TB SSD OS drive, 6TB Samsung Pro EVOPlus SSDs via Sonnet 4x4 M.2 PCIe card, Graphics card: AMD Radeon Pro Vega II 32GB, UAD-2 Quad, DP 10.13, DP 11.0,
- 15" MacBook Pro 2.3GHz 8‑core 9th‑generation Intel Core i9 processor, Turbo Boost to 4.8GHz, 32GB 2400MHz DDR4 mem, Radeon Pro Vega 20 w/4GB HBM2 mem, 2TB SSD storage, OS 10.15.7, 2TB SSD, DP 10.13
usbovine

Post by usbovine »

Thank you for the reply.

I am using the Insert Loop function (or Loop Tool) within audio tracks. I select a portion of the track to be looped then enter in the "Num Loops." This method is incredibly useful for creating a quick sketch of a sequence using a few bars as a template. I often want to further edit elements of the track as the timeline progresses, and the editing must be done to the soundbite.

Copy-paste is my current method, as you describe. I'm wondering if there's a way to "finalize" the loop into a long soundbite in lieu of copy-paste.
FMiguelez
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by FMiguelez »

One can also tell DP to paste something as many times as necessary to fit into a predetermined selection range. In one or many tracks.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
usbovine

Post by usbovine »

FMiguelez: That's certainly a good point and a time saving alternative.