CPU Overload Indicator During Countoff

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Rick Cornish
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

CPU Overload Indicator During Countoff

Post by Rick Cornish »

Anyone get a CPU overload indication from DP8 during count off?

This is the only time I get this and I've been just working in a test sequence with only a few VIs active.

Do I have some setup wrong?
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: CPU Overload Indicator During Countoff

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I've seen it and I am guessing, but maybe when it gets accessed after hitting play, it experiences the equivalent of a little surge. If it doesn't hinder performance it's probably fine to just ignore it.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

From MOTU…

I explained it was the Playback meter that was overloading…
"…this is normal as much of the playback material is being loaded into the RAM during the count-off. "

I get it. Though it seems like the pre-load of an 8-bar, four track sequence for 4 VIs shouldn't tax my 3.06 Core 2 Duo with 4gB RAM to that extent.
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
MIDI Life Crisis

Other than the cosmetic aspect of "seeing red" is there any practical problem it is presenting in terms of performance or playback?
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

Other than the cosmetic aspect of "seeing red" is there any practical problem it is presenting in terms of performance or playback?
In a word, no.

Here's a further response from MOTU…

"you can also try setting your VI's to real-time mode. Go to Preferences>General>Audio Plug-ins and set the Real-Tim Preference for the Current Project to "Virtual Instruments in Real-Time.""

…which didn't make any difference for me, but it might for someone else.
Rick Cornish

MIDI Life Crisis

Well, as much as it might be scary, if it has no impact just try to treat it as eye candy and a confirmation indicator that you actually hit play or record or whatever... The same thing goes for the CPU overload that can stop DP in it's tracks if you don't disable it. Once disabled it has no impact, but if not disabled, playback or record will stop. Makes no sense.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Well, as much as it might be scary, if it has no impact just try to treat it as eye candy....
In my case, the impact is that I'm also getting massive MIDI note dropouts on playback regardless of buffer size. The CPU Overload warning came as a disappointing shock since everything now runs on a brand new 12-Core machine. How does a tiny project overload 12 cores as easily as it did on a G5 Quad?

The overload warning suddenly raises more concerns that can't be overlooked as easily as they once were. It pains me to admit, but not all cores were in use when the CPU overload window appeared.

I'm traveling at the moment, so troubleshooting will have to wait until a couple of weeks to see if certain VIs are causing the problem (and not DP). The only other consideration would be that my new machine is a lemon.

Ouch. :(

I must also admit that 8.01 worked extremely well for me, and it seems that we Mac users might want to take care with downloads as updates are released now that some of the updates might be more closely related to Windows issues.
6,1 MacPro, 96GB RAM, macOS Monterey 12.7, macOS 10.14, DP9.52
MIDI Life Crisis

Wow! Sorry to hear that, Frodo. That has to be frustrating. I haven't seen that particular issue - yet. You should still be under warranty :?: The only dropped notes I've seen are on more heavily scripted VIs and even then, only in bounces. Realtime recording usually works out OK.

Travel safe. Happy gigs! :)
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS