UA and delay compensation in 7.24 & 8

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
rukidding
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

UA and delay compensation in 7.24 & 8

Post by rukidding »

When I have UA Pultec Peo ATR102 inserted in the master fader I have quite inaccurate timing.
i was told that the reason is that UA is isn't reporting the amount of delay compensation to DP so i just delete those plugs and insert them after I've done my MIDI sequencing. It would be nice to use these plugs while sequencing though. Has anything changed in DP8? Thanks
2019 Mac Pro -10.15.7 - DP 11.21 -VEP7
HCMarkus

Re: UA and delay compensation in 7.24 & 8

Post by HCMarkus »

That's not a problem with DP. No machine yet invented can predict the future.

Don't add Master Buss plug ins, especially one with a big look-ahead/processing delay, until all VI work is done.
rukidding

Post by rukidding »

I didn't say it was a problem with DP. It appears to me that UA and DP aren't communicating as some Waves plug-ins because I don't have timing issues with any Waves plugs as far as I know.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Try Waves L3 and tell me what happens... for me, big time time delay.

Many plugs don't need to use lookahead, so the buffer (delay) isn't as large or noticeable. Limiters, as are typically used in a mastering chain, need to look ahead to avoid overshoots without hard clipping. So the delay is obvious.

I will say that I can use a UA compressor lik the LA2A emulation without noticible delay.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

HCMarkus wrote:Try Waves L3 and tell me what happens... for me, big time time delay.

Many plugs don't need to use lookahead, so the buffer (delay) isn't as large or noticeable. Limiters, as are typically used in a mastering chain, need to look ahead to avoid overshoots without hard clipping. So the delay is obvious.

I will say that I can use a UA compressor lik the LA2A emulation without noticible delay.
Yeah, the L3 has a built-in delay of (if I remember correctly) 80ms. Waves is pretty good about making their plugins obey the delay compensation within a DAW, and when I use them, they never cause phasing issues due to lack of delay compensation. Of course, that means delaying everything else for 80ms to match the plug-in's built-in look-ahead delay-compensation, and this sentence has to be a prize-winning entry in hyphenation-competition. I don't know how that plays with UA's delay compensation, as I've never had access to UA plug-ins. (nor a hyphenation dictionary; I'm pretty sure most of those hyphens were unnecessary)

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Kurt Cowling

Post by Kurt Cowling »

UAD plugins are fine with delay compensation. The issue with the OP is trying to play a VI live through a plugin that has latency. Delay compensation can't fix that, no matter what. Some plugins may not require more than one buffer to accomplish it's task and can be played through live without additional delay beyond that imposed by your buffer setting. Others require delay compensation and can't be played through live. UAD plugins were never intended to be played through live unless you are using their Apollo interface and instantiating them in the Apollo console.
DP 11.1, Monterey, 2021 MacBook Pro M1-Max, 2017 iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, Omnisphere 2, Trilian, Stylus RMX, EZ Drummer 2, MachFive 3.11, Real Guitar2, Real Strat, Sample Modeling trumpet, saxes, trombone, Fr Horn/Tuba. Audio Modeling clarinets, double reeds, flutes, strings, Kontakt 6, Flux Pure Limiter 3, PSP Vintage Warmer, PSP MixPack, PSP StereoPack, PSP Impressor, Altiverb 7, Izotope RX8 Standard, Yamaha S-90ES, Yamaha MOXF-8, Yamaha MX60, Sibelius subscription, Adobe CC and Motion 5.
rukidding

Post by rukidding »

Thanks Kurt & Shoosh. I understand now
studio_651

Post by studio_651 »

i've run into this same problem with UAD/DP/VE Pro. i'm still in 7.24 - still waiting on a more stable DP8 (especially watching the problems with .mov windows).

anyway, i found that using UAD plugs on any aux or master fader that was carrying audio coming back from my PC VE Pro slave would cause glitching and note drop-outs. i went for a while without using and UAD plugins until i'd rendered to audio, but that got to be a pain. so i (gasp!) disabled automatic plugin latency compensation in both VE Pro and DP 7.24 (since latency compensation doesn't work between DP 7.24 and VE Pro 5 anyway). yes, that means i have to nudge my MIDI notes a little ahead of the grid in order for everything to time up right, but for me it's worth it right now. at least now i can use UAD plugins anywhere i want (i still usually wait until later stages if i can help it) and i'm not getting any note drop-outs. it'll be so nice someday when DP, my UAD card, and VE Pro all play nicer together (if that ever happens), but i've at least found a system that allows me to get my work done in the meantime.
Matt Morton | http://www.mattmortonmusic.com | 6-core Mac Pro 3.33 GHz w/ 32 GB RAM | DP 7.24 | UAD-2 Quad | RME Fireface 800 | i7 3930k PC slave w/ 64 GB RAM | i7 4930k PC slave w/ 64 GB RAM | VE Pro 5 with MIR Pro
towerproductions

Post by towerproductions »

I have also found this to be true at times when running a parallel drum buss and putting a UAD limiter on one of them, I will sometimes get a noticeable delay on the drum even though delay compensation is turned on. Although some limiters/compressors don't seem to do this with parallel busses.
DP11.1, Mac Pro 3.33 / 12-core, 96GB RAM, Mac OS 10.14.6
2 MOTU 2408 mk3s Black Lion mod, , UA Apollo Quad, UAD 2 Octo PCIe,
a bunch of EW Play,Opus, Spitfire, Sine,UVI, Kontakt Komplete Ultimate, VE Pro 7, Falcon, DSP Quattro, AmpliTube 5,and way too many others.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

studio_651 wrote:i've run into this same problem with UAD/DP/VE Pro. i'm still in 7.24 - still waiting on a more stable DP8 (especially watching the problems with .mov windows).

anyway, i found that using UAD plugs on any aux or master fader that was carrying audio coming back from my PC VE Pro slave would cause glitching and note drop-outs. i went for a while without using and UAD plugins until i'd rendered to audio, but that got to be a pain. so i (gasp!) disabled automatic plugin latency compensation in both VE Pro and DP 7.24 (since latency compensation doesn't work between DP 7.24 and VE Pro 5 anyway). yes, that means i have to nudge my MIDI notes a little ahead of the grid in order for everything to time up right, but for me it's worth it right now. at least now i can use UAD plugins anywhere i want (i still usually wait until later stages if i can help it) and i'm not getting any note drop-outs. it'll be so nice someday when DP, my UAD card, and VE Pro all play nicer together (if that ever happens), but i've at least found a system that allows me to get my work done in the meantime.
I find the offset MIDI plug to be very useful in such time. Interesting problem though. I will investigate this with a second computer. So far I have only used VE Pro on the same computer (to bypass DP 7's 32 bit limitation) but now that 8 is 64 I don't use it so much any more. I used UAD plug ins directly in VE Pro and didn't notice any latency.
Music is movement in silence
My day jon - http://www.audioplanet.pl
My other passion - http://www.aps-company.pl
waitsongs

Post by waitsongs »

While I agree you're problem might be latency caused by playing through some of UA's heavier plugins (or even just hitting DP's buffer limits), if your Master Fader is outputting directly to the monitors, any heavy processing or look-ahead plugins on that fader will create a monitoring delay (as HCMarkus pointed out).

In case you don't know the workaround for this problem, here's one: create 2 new auxes: a Submix Aux and a Master Aux (you can still keep the master fader in there if you want, but make sure it has no plugs on it)....Set the Submix Aux outputs to the Master Aux, and the Master Aux outputs to the monitor outs (whether that's Mains or whichever interface outputs feed your monitors). Switch outputs on all tracks, instruments, and any additional auxes so they now output to the Submix Aux. Then put all your master type plugs on the Submix Aux, and NO plugs on the Master Aux. This should eliminate any monitor delay, but still let you listen through look-ahead type plugins.
DP 8.06, OS X 10.8.3, 8 core 2.8gHz MacPro, 14 GB ram, 32 Lives and JBridge, UAD-2 Quad Satellite, 828mk3, Apogee AD-16X, Trak2 and Rosetta, Eleven Rack, EWQL Gold Pro, Colossus, Goliath, Ethno World 4, StormDrum2, Komplete 8, LASS, MX4, Soundtoys Bundle, Stillwell plugs, Ozone 5, Slate Bundle, Trash, Waves C6, H-EQ, Autotune, Abbey Road plugs, Pro Tools 10, Logic 9, Reason 6.5, Final Cut Pro, lots of mic pre's, mics, instruments....