New Unisyn user

Discussion of issues related to MOTU's Sysex Editor/Librarian program.

Moderator: James Steele

bryan new
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

New Unisyn user

Post by bryan new »

Dear Gang

I recently purchased Unisyn for use with OSX 10.3.9 (Mac G4).
I don't consider myself a complete technical dunce but this
application has me stumped. When trying to build a device profile I get constant time - outs (with all my hardware synths - regardless of manufacturer). I have checked all physical and
virtual MIDI connections and all appears correct and working. Also, every other MIDI using application I have works just fine.
What's the secret? Is there a well written and current manual for
this thing?
Why did Emagic not finish Soundiver for OSX? I didn't have to consult the manual once to get that working...

Thanks, Bryan New
qo

Re: New Unisyn user

Post by qo »

Unisyn really stresses MIDI due to the sheer amount of data it's sending receiving. What MIDI interface are you using?
bryan new

Post by bryan new »

Thanks for getting back.

I am using the Unitor8 & amt8. I still have Soundiver for OS9,
although slow, it works. I would continue to use it but soon I will
have no choice...

Thanks, Bryan New
magicd

Post by magicd »

Follow the signal.

When Unisyn sends a request message to the device, you should see a quick output flash on the interface. Make sure that's happening, and make sure it's happening on the correct output port.

In order for a device to respond to a sysex message, it needs to have sysex receive enabled (if it has such a parameter). The sysex message must also have the correct Sysex ID number, which is set in the Audio MIDI Setup, as well as on the device.

In order for the device to send a sysex message, it must have sysex transmit enabled (if it does have such a parameter).

If the device does respond, you should see corresponding activity on the input port of the interface.

Magic Dave
robMartin

Post by robMartin »

A great little freeware app for checking what's really being sent and received by the coreMIDI server is MIDI Monitor - which you can find at http://www.snoize.com.

And like MagicDave suggests, you should also check the little MIDI activity LED's on your device - since the problem might be in the cable itself.

Finally, try mucking around with the preference setting that controls the millisecond delay between messages. Some devices are very picky!
MR Booth

Post by MR Booth »

You've got my sympathy. I haven't had a chance to look at Unisyn again since I got the update but I haven't got a clue how to use it and although it's not getting in the way it's a bit of mystery. I have used Unisyn for years and only updated to run it on system 10. It's changed considerably and I just can't follow the manual or relate the new version to the old one.
I remember having some latency problems with the old unisyn which I think was related to my synths echoing MIDI info so in effect I had twice as much information traffic as was needed. Maybe your problem is something like this too.
Mike
dixiechicken

Post by dixiechicken »

Brian New!

Be shure to check if your gear has a time delay value for receiving MIDI sysex dumps.
My EMU Proteus-2000 has. It's defaulted to 300 milliseconds.
(will take you ours to download all Patches)

Set the value to something like 3 milliseconds and things will run much smoother.
(a value of 0=zero milliseconds seem to overwhelm Unisyn)

Cheers: Dixiechicken
------
My God it's full of stars....
------
Mac Pro 6-Core Intel Nehalem/Xeon 2.93 GHz 32-GB ram, OS-X 10.13.5-Swe, DP-9.52, Unisyn-2.11, 828-MkII,MTP-AV usb, Latest drvs, Wavearts plugs, Kurzweil-2000, Proteus-2000, EPS-16, Pod-II,
Digitech RP-155, Soundcraft UI-16, Emes Kobalt monitors.
------