MOTU MIDI timepiece MTP AV (Parallel Version) with Windows 7

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
greggybud
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: MOTU MIDI timepiece MTP AV (Parallel Version) with Windo

Post by greggybud »

Update:

Shortly after my last post a year ago I confirmed that you can network a Miditimepiece USB to a old Parallel version with Clockworks for 16 MIDI ports. Everything works just fine in Windows 7 64bit.

Now my next question, which Music Doctor explained is possible, is to add a 3rd Miditimepiece parallel.

I realize with a 3rd unit there will be no clockworks (patch bay features) but with a 3rd miditimepiece interface windows 7 should be able to recognize it correct? Therefore when I open my DAW Cubase 6.5 it should recognize a total of 24 MIDI ports?

So far I can't even get Windows 7 64 bit to link to my 3rd timepiece. I can't even get it to recognize the parallel port in windows.

AS@MOTU has had success with 32 bit so shouldn't 64 bit work too?

I face 2 problems. 1. I'm not very Windows savoy 2. Not sure what to download from MOTU.

If I contact MOTU, which I will again, I'm sure they will give me the same line as they did a year ago.
Steve Fogal
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by Steve Fogal »

Hi, just won a Motu MIDI timepiece MTP AV Parallel unit off ebay & saw this old thread today, 3/11/13.

Although I do have an older DAW machine with a parallel port laying around, I read in this post from 'Music Doctor' that motherboards without a parallel port on the back plate, but instead have a pin header out for a parallel adaptor - like my ASUS P5KC mobo has, which they sell the adaptor still for about $12.00 that go's from the boards pin header out to the rear of the PC case - can work with parallel Motu MIDI units. I have searched for days without anyone saying that the pin headers for parallel can work... until now. If so, that would be great. I'm still using Win XP Pro 32 bit.
I haven't received the Motu unit yet, but now Ill need to hunt down drivers & manual for it ahead of time.

Anyone have or know where to get them? Been looking for a while.
Steve Fogal

Post by Steve Fogal »

^ Ok, I 'think' these may be the drivers for the above mentioned unit, for anyone looking for them...

http://www.motu.com/download/download_m ... duct_id=16

Lower on the link for Win XP. The same drivers seem to be shared other Motu units too.

What I'm NOT sure of, is whether the Timepiece AV USB is a manual that can be used for the older 'parallel' unit as well ? Haven't found a specific manual for the parallel unit.

EDIT --Emailed Motu, they got back to pretty quick! He said the USB version manual will also cover basic stuff for the parallel version.
phillwilson

Post by phillwilson »

I just took ownershop of a MOTU AV Serial (old) version rack unit.

I also already have a USB version (new unit).

all I want to achieve for the old serial unit is to connect it to a laptop (USB only) long enough to program and store my filters and routings via Clockworks

In other words, it WON'T be used with a pc, each unit will be working in a seperate part of my setup dealing with its own hardware devices, changing channels,filtering out messages and so on.

so, i guess what I need to know is...can i hook up my old AV through my new usb version and then use clockworks to programme and store its MIDI filters, even though it won't be used alongside the USB version?

thanks

Phill
Agent of Random
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by Agent of Random »

phillwilson wrote:I just took ownershop of a MOTU AV Serial (old) version rack unit.

I also already have a USB version (new unit).

all I want to achieve for the old serial unit is to connect it to a laptop (USB only) long enough to program and store my filters and routings via Clockworks

In other words, it WON'T be used with a pc, each unit will be working in a seperate part of my setup dealing with its own hardware devices, changing channels,filtering out messages and so on.

so, i guess what I need to know is...can i hook up my old AV through my new usb version and then use clockworks to programme and store its MIDI filters, even though it won't be used alongside the USB version?

thanks

Phill
afaik apple never made an OSX-based computer with a serial port, so motu probably never made osx drivers for the serial stuff for that reason.

I thought even the older MTP had some way of accessing Clockworks routings from the front panel? Maybe it would be worth it to dust off the manual.

Beyond that i'm not sure if you have a solution beyond plugging into an old os9 computer, or networking it to the USB version.
phillwilson

Post by phillwilson »

thanks for taking the time to reply,

it is a windows laptop not OSX I am looking for using clockworks on if that changes anything?

if not, like you say, I will try ot get hold of a manual that will show me how to programme the module from its front panel.

I was hoping i could "piggy back" this old one through the me new USB version which I have already programmed using clockworks on my PC (win 7)

I am away from home and the devices at the moment, so i was just kinda paving my way infomation wise so i can crack on as soon as i get home.

thanks

Phill
Agent of Random

Post by Agent of Random »

phillwilson wrote: I was hoping i could "piggy back" this old one through the me new USB version which I have already programmed using clockworks on my PC (win 7)
As far as I know this will work
phillwilson

Post by phillwilson »

Thanks for your help,

I managed to find a manual on line and it looks like if worst comes to worst I can do it slowly on the LCD too.

thanks for your help
atrem

Post by atrem »

I have been able to get my beloved Motu MTPAV Parallel version working under Windows 8.
I think the trick is disabling driver verification at windows startup, after that you can install the driver.

How to disable driver verification is explained here:
http://thephuck.com/end-user-computing/ ... windows-8/

Restarting using the shift key while pressing the restart button also works (or run: 'shutdown /o /r /f /t 0' under windows 8)

My hardware setup:
- Dell Inspiron 9400 (laptop from around 2006) with Expresscard slot.
- Delock Expresscard/34 to 1x parallel
- Motu MTPAV Parallel (1.2.0)

- Windows 8 32bit
Drivers:
Motu MTPAV parallel:
- Version 2.51 WDM MIDI Drivers for MOTU USB and Parallel Interfaces (XP driver SETUPMIDI_2.51.zip) found here:
http://www.motu.com/download/download_m ... duct_id=16
Delock Expresscard/34 to 1x parallel:
- OXPCIe952_Windows 32/64bit driver found here:
http://www.delock.de/produkte/F_263_Par ... eiber.html

Screenshot showing the Clockworks console working:

Note:
As mentioned in the readme of the motu driver this is important before installing the driver:
A) Attach your MIDI Interface to a parallel port
B) Open the system control panel (Start\Settings\Control Panel)
C) Select the Hardware tab and click Device Manager
D) Open the Ports (COM & LPT) tree
E) Right click the “Printer Port (LPTX)” to which you’ve attached your MIDI interface and select “Properties”
F) Select the “Port Settings” tab
G) Select the “Use any interrupt assigned to the port” option for “Filter Resource Method”
H) Click “OK”, close the device Manager window, and close the System Properties control panel

Hope this helps for others trying to accomplish the same.
BTW I'm interested if this method works under Windows 8 64bit too.

Regards,
Bart
ADRStudio

Post by ADRStudio »

I just coming here to confirm that the Parallel version works great on Windows 7. Mine is 32 bits.

With this problem of ending support to Win XP I had to give a try with WIndows 7.

My parallel port is on main board. To say that Windows 7 , and looks like the same with Windows 8 as posted before, do not support Parallel port is a BIG mistake and also MPT AV Parallel works great on these system.

No problem at all, just be sure, as posted before, to set the LPT port on device manager to use the IRQ. That's it.

I love MPT AV, long life for Motu MPT AV Parallel !!!!!!!
KilgoreTrout

Post by KilgoreTrout »

hey all, i've been unsuccessfully trying to find the mentioned october 2009 x64 vista drivers, if anyone has them and could send me a link i would be forever grateful, MOTU tech support have not been cooperative and i am stuck with two perfectly working MTP AV parallel unit's, please help!
belzrebuth

Post by belzrebuth »

Has anyone sucessfully used the MT AV Parallel with Windows 10?

I'm toying with the idea of buying one of these since I've already have a PCI express to parallel card but no idea if these even work with older 64bit versions of Windows let alone Win10.
supernova777

Re: MOTU MIDI timepiece MTP AV (Parallel Version) with Windows 7

Post by supernova777 »

i can confirm my MTP AV is working under windows 10 32bit

so i guess there was never 64bit driver produced? i thought there was....