828mkii and main outs/spdif mirror

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
jrech
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

828mkii and main outs/spdif mirror

Post by jrech »

Hello everyone,

I have a MOTU 828mkii running on a mac pro with 10.7.5. I just purchased a Focusrite VRM and I have it conntected to the spdif of the 828mkii. What I am hoping to do, but I have not figured it out, is how to mirror the main outs, to the spdif. I have the main outs runnning to my Mackie Big Knob. I am hoping that I can have them both receiving signal, and then I can just switch back and forth as I need to. I have tried to create an aggregate device but, I can't find the spdif output for the motu. I have looked in the MOTU Audio Setup, and it will only let me select on of the items. I am hoping I am missing something, and someone can help guide me to greatness.

Thank you for all of your help in advance,

Jody
NazRat
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: 828mkii and main outs/spdif mirror

Post by NazRat »

Not sure if the options are the same for the mkII, but for the mk3, in MOTU Audio Setup you would select the S/PDIF as the 'Default Stereo Output Pair' and S/PDIF as the 'Main Outs'. Just don't remember if selecting the 'Main Outs' is an option for the mkII. Then in any DAW software the mains/master would be S/PDIF.
DP8.06 PT11.2.0 VEP 5.3.x
828mkII 828mk3 ADA8000 MTP-AV Komplete Audio 6
Mac Mini Quad 10.9.4 - HP Quad Laptop Win 8.1
tremo

Post by tremo »

I couldn't figure out a way to do it (mirror Main analog outs and SPDIF). I'm interested to hear if there's a way.

Two sets of outputs that ARE mirrored, though are the coax and optical outs when you have optical configured as SPDIF (TOSlink). I use this to simultaneously run my mix output to my Presonus Central Station for monitoring (TOSlink) and the Tascam DR-680 I use as a 2-track mixdown deck (SPDIF coax).

Doesn't do you any good with the Big Knob, though, since IIRC, it only has analog inputs...
Mac Studio Max | 32GB | 14.5 | 828es | M4 | DP 10.13 | Studio One 6.6 | Logic 11
jrech

Post by jrech »

I will check it out. I think there is a main out in the setup. I will let you know if it works

Thanks for all of the help guys,

J
NazRat
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by NazRat »

In my post 'Main Outs' should read 'Main Outs Assign', but I think Tremo has the right answer.
DP8.06 PT11.2.0 VEP 5.3.x
828mkII 828mk3 ADA8000 MTP-AV Komplete Audio 6
Mac Mini Quad 10.9.4 - HP Quad Laptop Win 8.1
jrech

Post by jrech »

Alright, thanks for the help. I got it to work with a little bit of fiddling around. I am running Logic 9.1.8, and I went into the i/o section. I changed the output to the MOTU spdif 11/12, and clicked on the mirroring button, and low and behold, it worked!!! That most certainly gets a YEAH BUDDY!!!!

Thank you to everyone for your help and knowledge. You guys rock.

Have a great night,

J