Ultralite MK3 main out/headphones distortion

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
jitter
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Ultralite MK3 main out/headphones distortion

Post by jitter »

Hi all!

I've bought Motu UltraLite MK3 and found that:
1. Sound from MAIN OUT and HEADPHONES completely DIFFERENT than from direct outs 1-8
(main and phones has "screaming" middles and looks like analog distortion in output opamps) :cry:
2. MAIN OUT louder than ANY Direct OUT by +2.2 dB
3. I've tested bus powered and AC powered configuration - the same.
4. Direct outs sounds perfectly.

Does anybody, who has UltraLite MK3, can compare sound from main outs and direct outs?
(and measure output level from direct and )

P.S. I own an old MOTU 828MK2. It hasn't any problems - all outs and phones sounds perfectly.
crduval

Re: Ultralite MK3 main out/headphones distortion

Post by crduval »

You should check your cuemix settings and make sure your levels, mixes and EQ settings are set up properly. I have an ultralite an the only tomes i get strange output is when I've inadvertently cranked my virtual output knob in Curmix. Hope this helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
M2 MacBook Air, DP11, MOTU MX-4, MOTU Mach5, EWQLSO Platinum, Acoustic Samples B5, UAD Waterfall Organ, EWQL Platinum Pianos, UVI Falcon, UAD-2 Duo, MOTU Ultralite mk5, K2600XS controller
jitter

Post by jitter »

Thank you, but:

1. I've double checked CueMix console - nothing.
2. I use ProTools software to drive ULite outputs separately, without cuemix

Could you measure Main output level compare Direct output level ?
4stripes
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by 4stripes »

You are correct, I've also measured that the main outs are 2 dB louder than the direct outs (+19.5 dBu vs +17.5 dBu). This seems to be by design.

The main outs and phones use the AKM4382AT DAC and a different op amp than the line outs.

The line outs use the AKM4358VQ 8-ch DAC and 4580 op amps.

I have not been unhappy with the sound (through Genelec 8040A), but I have not compared the main outs to the line outs.
jitter

Post by jitter »

Yes, i've opened it. And looks the same:

1. You are right, headphone and main out uses separate D/A converters (stereo AK4382) instead of directs 8 ch AK4358.
2. Main and Phones uses completely different analog part, BUT the sound from them identically bad. Can't believe, that AKM produce such bad converters. I'd like to measure spectral and distortion from converters itself and from motu outs

P.S. Let's listen music with more middles (like an old school guitar rock music) main out and direct out, I think you will be surprized.