I need to download the full version of version 7.

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Larry Mal
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

I need to download the full version of version 7.

Post by Larry Mal »

Hey all, I seem to remember that the MOTU site would have the full version of Digital Performer that one could download, and I just got a new computer, without a disc drive. Not only that, but my disk of DP7 (along with my manual, I'm legit) is all the way across town.

I can access my MOTu account, but there are only updates on there now, except I could buy and download the full version of 8. What do I need to do to get version 7?

Thanks!
Mac Pro 2X2.8 GHz 8 Core, Macbook Pro 2.16 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2 GB's of RAM. Logic Pro 8. Digital Performer 5.13. Pro Tools M-Powered 7.4. Ableton Live 5. Focusrite Sapphire Pro 10 I/O interface.
kgdrum

Re: I need to download the full version of version 7.

Post by kgdrum »

Hi Larry,
Yeah, I remember you it's been a while.
I'd call MOTU tech support,they might have hidden links available.
But I think DP7 actually needs the disc for authorizing,users I think have been using a 2nd Mac(target mode)or an external optical drive to authorize.
DP8 authorizes differently so it might be easier,other posters that have Macs without optical drives can elaborate on this better than I can.
If you search there's a bunch of threads about this regarding DP7 & DP8.
In case you haven't called them in a couple of years as I suspect,tech support is much better now, they answer the phone quickly & you don't get busy signals all of the time,they are very helpful.
btw,since you got a new Mac,DP8.01 64bit is awesome,you'll probably want to update anyway.
But I'd call 1st thing tomorrow and see if they have a way for you to dl DP7 but I do think you'll need the disc to authorize it whether it's with an external optical(USB)drive which you can get through OWC or use another Mac via target mode.
Good luck,
KG
Last edited by kgdrum on Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
2012 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 core 96 gig,Mojave, DP11.01,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 12U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, Mimic Pro w/ SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata...........
Larry Mal

Post by Larry Mal »

Thanks for the help! Perhaps I'm crazy and there never was a full version 7 download.

I'm not against buying 8, that's for sure, but the sad fact is I'm very rusty with Digital Performer, and will have to learn how to use it again regardless. And seeing as I'm currently in a class on Final Cut Pro X, and recently bought Maschine and Geist and some other fairly deep software instruments, I've already got quite a bit of learning ahead of me, and if I want to do some writing, I'll use the DAW I'm fastest on at the moment. A DAW that shall not be named here.

But no fear, I'm a DP fan, and I'll be getting version 8 soon.
Mac Pro 2X2.8 GHz 8 Core, Macbook Pro 2.16 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2 GB's of RAM. Logic Pro 8. Digital Performer 5.13. Pro Tools M-Powered 7.4. Ableton Live 5. Focusrite Sapphire Pro 10 I/O interface.
Radiogal

Post by Radiogal »

Watch these and you´re up and running DP8 in no time!!!
I´m not kidding!!

http://www.groove3.com/str/motu-training/
MAC PRO 6 Core 3.33 GHz, 16 GB RAM, OSX 10.8.5, DP 9 MAC and WIN (64bit/Jbridge) AMPGUI Mellow, Logic 10, Wavelab 8 MOTU 24I/O (x2), MOTU 2408 MK3 (2x), WAVES Mercury 9, SSL, UAD2Quad, McDSP, Sound Toys, Sonnox, Sonalksis, NomadFactory, T-Racks, P&M, LexPCM, AbbeyRoad, DSM, VCC, VTM, FGX, Melda, EWQL SymphOrch/Piano Gold. Mixingdesk: AMEK Big 44, TK BC-1MK2, SSLcomp clones, GAPPre73, PCM91, TC, FMR. Monitors: Genelec 1031, ADAM A7, >40 mics http://www.ragdollproduction.com
Larry Mal

Post by Larry Mal »

Thanks! As a funny note, I decided to upgrade to DP8, thinking I could download the full version of that. No can do, apparently! I still need to wait for the delivery.

The reason for all of this, by the way, is that I am taking a class on Final Cut Pro X. The professor was asking me about Logic, and expressing frustration with the ability of Logic to handle XML exports from FCP X. I told him to look into DP, as it's been touting the ability to work well with FCP for some time. Truth is, I have no idea how it works, since I've not done any of that.

So I said I'd bring in DP and we'd find out. But I don't actually have it on my computer! I guess I will soon.

Thanks all!
FutureLegends

Post by FutureLegends »

The 8.0.1 update is in fact the full install!
Hackintosh 6-Core 3.7ghz/32gb ram, macOS Mojave
Hardware: Apollo 8, Apollo 8p, Apollo Twin mkII, MOTU 828mk3 & Original 828 | UA LA-610 | Vanguard V13 Tube Mic | MindPrint En-Voice | Genelec M040AM | Gretsch Guitars & Drums
Software: DP8 | FCPX | Logic Pro X | Play
| EWQL Gypsy, Choirs, Orchestra Gold, VoP | EZDrummer w/ Twizted Kit | Action Strings
Larry Mal

Post by Larry Mal »

It is! But it's asking me for some code that is found in the manual, which I don't have yet. None of the information from my online account seems to be what I need. I could be completely wrong, though.
Radiogal

Post by Radiogal »

You´ll have to wait for your hardcopy of DP8 that includes the hardware manual that includes the keycode. Just be patient.
MAC PRO 6 Core 3.33 GHz, 16 GB RAM, OSX 10.8.5, DP 9 MAC and WIN (64bit/Jbridge) AMPGUI Mellow, Logic 10, Wavelab 8 MOTU 24I/O (x2), MOTU 2408 MK3 (2x), WAVES Mercury 9, SSL, UAD2Quad, McDSP, Sound Toys, Sonnox, Sonalksis, NomadFactory, T-Racks, P&M, LexPCM, AbbeyRoad, DSM, VCC, VTM, FGX, Melda, EWQL SymphOrch/Piano Gold. Mixingdesk: AMEK Big 44, TK BC-1MK2, SSLcomp clones, GAPPre73, PCM91, TC, FMR. Monitors: Genelec 1031, ADAM A7, >40 mics http://www.ragdollproduction.com
Larry Mal

Post by Larry Mal »

Sure, sure. I can be patient. I was hoping to have it by Tuesday, who knows... maybe I will. Regardless, I will be happy to get to know DP8, although it looks pretty similar to 7.

Which isn't a bad thing.
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Larry Mal wrote:Sure, sure. I can be patient. I was hoping to have it by Tuesday, who knows... maybe I will. Regardless, I will be happy to get to know DP8, although it looks pretty similar to 7.

Which isn't a bad thing.
It's about as similar to DP 7 as DP 6 was to DP 7 had DP 6 been functional. There are a lot of changes which make sense to me - like bouncing being under the file menu. I am loving the ODF manual and the full screen in ML on a 2 monitor system. Scoring to picture heaven for me right now.

. The GUI is still not working 100% and there are a few anomalies to watch out for, especially with regard to scrolling. You also want to be sure your MP3 extensions are up to date as mentioned in a few other threads and that you REPAIR PERMISSIONS after the install. This is more important for this version than in most every program I've ever installed.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Larry Mal

Post by Larry Mal »

I skipped version 6. I got caught up in other things and by the time I was looking into it, I could see it being universally panned on here, and that was that.

Good advice about repairing permissions. DP8 will be here on Thursday, and I should have some time to install and play around since my girl will be at work and I will do the romantic thing and play with Digital Performer.

Good to hear about the scoring features. The reason for the interest in my part was that the professor in my Final Cut Pro class was asking about exporting XML files to Logic, and he was expressing dissatisfaction. He thought the next version of Logic might work better with FCP X, and I told him that we could try Digital Performer out since it's well known to be great software for that sort of thing.

Me, I'm not too knowledgeable about XML imports and exports to start with, so I will learn a bit either way.