Is There Anything that We Can Do?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
wolfetho
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Is There Anything that We Can Do?

Post by wolfetho »

In my quest for a new MIDI keyboard controller, I've been noticing
that very few manufacturers (i.e. M-Audio, Akai,Samson,Edirol etc.)seem to
be including DP in their list of supported DAW's for their MIDI mapping
software that goes with their new MIDI controllers. Why? It's quite
frustrating because I would like to buy one of these controllers, but
I'm very hesitant if they don't support DP.

Has anyone talked to any of these manufacturers to find out why they are not supporting DP?

Thanks,
Tom
David Polich
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Is There Anything that We Can Do?

Post by David Polich »

The answer is that there is no DP support from these manufacturers because -
there just isn't. I don't think you're going to persuade any of them to re-consider it.

Have you looked into the DP control app from MOTU? It's great, especially on
the i-Pad.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

These work great with DP:
http://global.novationmusic.com/
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

How many brands of keyboard with DP pre-MIDI-mapped do you need? I don't think there's any shortage of such gear. If you need a control surface, it's available. A keyboard with "MIDI-mapping" software is a keyboard with a big wart on it. It's going to be out of date, soon, and you won't be able to get it to work with the next version of DP, and then it's just a keyboard.

I'm really not trying to be cynical today, though my posts would suggest otherwise. DP is the DAW for people who just make things work. You need plugins, you buy plugins. You don't ask your DAW to provide you with all the plugins you'll ever need. You need interfaces? You buy interfaces that do exactly what you want them to do. You need top-notch notation software? You… well… you get the idea. DP is a DAW, and it does that pretty well. I've long since gotten over the desire for one doodad that does it all. Just let me buy exactly what I need, piecemeal, so that I can specify the quality, the function, and the usefulness of each part of my studio.

I have a feeling that most DP users are probably more like me than not. After all, MOTU has never been big on the bandwagon stuff, and yet the number of top-rated professionals who use DP just seems to keep on growing. They don't use it exclusively; just for what they need it for. And that seems to be the niche that is perfect for DP. Not trying to partner with big keyboard companies to sell more soon-to-be-obsolete gimmicks.

Just my opinion on a Tuesday. It may change by Thursday.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Morpheo

Post by Morpheo »

My Yamaha KX-8 has DP in its presets. Although I have to admit I almost never use it to control DP. I'm just not used to do things that way.
Mac Pro 5,1 12-core 2.4 GHz//40GB RAM//RX 560//macOS 10.13.6//SSDs//MOTU 896//Keylab 88//Faderport 8
Pro Tools 2018.7//LPX 10.4.1//DP 9.51
NI Komplete Ultimate 11//Albion One//Soundiron Choirs//Pianoteq//Analog Lab//VSL SE & Chamber Strings//etc
Armageddon

Post by Armageddon »

I was never able to get the transport controls to work with DP 7 and my Keystation Pro-88 (and I never even attempted to try to get the control surface to happen), though, apparently, some people have managed to. Beyond basic transport stuff, I was also never interested in using my keyboard controller as a control surface. I'm sure it would have been great to control everything from a central controller, but I figured, if I actually needed a control surface, I'd invest in one of a legion of ACTUAL CONTROL SURFACES designed to work with any DAW capable of MMC or HUI, like a Mackie, an Avid/Euphonix, a Tascam, a Yamaha or even an M-Audio (or any of those one-channel transport strips, if I felt like saving some dough). The best thing to look for in a keyboard controller should be how great of a keyboard controller it is -- my Keystation Pro-88 broke down after only a couple of years of moderate playing, while my much-abused Korg K-61 controller, which has four buttons, two knobs and a four-vector joystick (none of which I use to control software parameters outside of playing VIs), plays as well today as the day I bought it.
Mid- 2012 MacBook Pro Quad-core i7 2.7 GHz/16 GB RAM/2 TB SSD (primary)/1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (secondary) • OS X 10.14.6 • DP 11.1 • Pro Tools 12.8.1 • Acoustica Pro 7.4.0 • Avid MBox Pro 3G • Korg K61 • IMDb Page