What are some of your favorite custom keyboard shortcuts?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
stubbsonic
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: What are some of your favorite custom keyboard shortcuts

Post by stubbsonic »

I got rid of the dedicated play & stop commands and only use the SPACEBAR for the play/stop toggle.

I set up a combination of COMMAND-SPACE to record (which is like holding down record while pressing play)-- so it's familiar feeling (though I just heard the OS uses that to change keyboard languages-- I don't use that function).

I also programmed my mouse (using Steer Mouse) so that using the scroll wheel --with the wheel button pressed-- zooms in/out horizontally. I really like that.

On my laptop, I made the arrow keys into FF and REW, but I think I'm going to go with the above suggestion to skip previous/next measure. I'll replace the other arrow commands with SHIFT-ARROW since I use them far less often.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
zed

Post by zed »

stubbsonic wrote:I got rid of the dedicated play & stop commands and only use the SPACEBAR for the play/stop toggle.

I set up a combination of COMMAND-SPACE to record (which is like holding down record while pressing play)
Aren't those both the defaults? They are what I use as well.
MacPro 2.8 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon | 14 GB RAM | OS 10.11.6 | DP 8
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

stubbsonic wrote:I got rid of the dedicated play & stop commands and only use the SPACEBAR for the play/stop toggle.

I use a repeated-key technique that makes the Enter-key a good choice for Play. It's like repeated keys on a piano — you never strike the same key twice with the same finger. Instead, you do sequential strikes with the next finger, and even the next if the key repeats again. I probably sound like I've flipped, but hear me out before you send the white coats and paddy wagon.

To go to a location while working on a pop song, you don't have to memorize locations; you only need to know structurally how it's put together, and where you are going within that structure. So, if you're in the 2nd bridge, and the song has an 8 bar intro, and two verses before each bridge, then you're going to Bar 49. With your thumb, you hit the "dot" key to select the counter. On the keypad you type in 4 9 Enter Enter, and you're now playing from the first beat of Bridge Two. This whole action occurs in a fraction of a second, because you used the forefinger for 4, ring finger for 9, then the pinky for Enter, and the ring finger again for the second Enter.

If you have the big counter open, you may have to hit Enter THREE times! (I don't know if it still works like that in DP8.) The whole motion reminds me of doing a turn (grupetto) on piano, but it may end with a series of fingers repeating the Enter key at high speed. When working with a client, I would often go to the location they asked for and start playing it before the last word left their mouth.

I don't know if there's anything gained by doing it this way, but it always impressed the clients. :koolaid:

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Dwetmaster

Post by Dwetmaster »

stubbsonic wrote:I also programmed my mouse (using Steer Mouse) so that using the scroll wheel --with the wheel button pressed-- zooms in/out horizontally. I really like that.
How smooth is this working? I use controllerMate for my keyboard/Mouse programming. I've made a similar patch for my mouse but I find it clumsy and it's not as smooth as if it was hard-coded in DP.

My patch involves getting the mouse wheel to trigger the zooming key command.
MacPro 8Core 2.8GHZ 16GB RAM OSX10.8.3
MacBook Pro 17" Unibody 2011 OSX10.8.3
896mk3, BLA Modded 896HD, BLA Microclock, MTP-AV, Yamaha KX-8, CME VX-7 Mackie Ctrl, megadrum, Presonus C-S,
DP8.04, Bidule, M5 3, Ethno 2, BPM 1.5 Kontakt4, BFD2, SD2, Omnisphere, Wave Arts P-S5, Altiverb7, PSP VW & OldTimer, VB3, Ivory 2 Grand, True Pianos, Ozone 5, Reason 4, AmpliTube3, Bla bla bla...
A few El & Ac basses & Guitars, Hammond A-100.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Dwetmaster wrote:
stubbsonic wrote:I also programmed my mouse (using Steer Mouse) so that using the scroll wheel --with the wheel button pressed-- zooms in/out horizontally. I really like that.
How smooth is this working? I use controllerMate for my keyboard/Mouse programming. I've made a similar patch for my mouse but I find it clumsy and it's not as smooth as if it was hard-coded in DP.
Works perfectly smoothly here. I programmed the PRESS-ROLL-FORWARD/BACKWARD to be COMMAND-RIGHT/LEFT ARROW (respectively).

Some of the short-cut considerations change with the laptop's lack of numeric keyboard section which is surely missed when using DP.

Shooshie, I'm afraid I'm not understanding how your post relates to the play/stop toggle.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

stubbsonic wrote:Shooshie, I'm afraid I'm not understanding how your post relates to the play/stop toggle.
Just that it requires the Enter key, and not the spacebar. I highlight the Counter, type in the bar/beat/ticks, set the counter (Enter), and play (Enter), all in one rapid hand movement that's kind of like playing an ornament on piano. It's not a keyboard shortcut, but it's a hand-technique shortcut that requires the default keyboard shortcuts for the keypad.

Sounds too complicated for what it is.
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

That makes perfect sense. I used to use ZERO (on the numeric pad) to rewind to bar 1, and ENTER for record.

Your point about the efficiency/proximity/ergonomics and even "rhythm" of the key combo's we choose can really make for an easy workflow.

bolla

Post by bolla »

G for snap to grid on/off.

Cheers, Bolla
8 Core 2.8 10.11.1 DP 8.07 | Dual 2.5 G5 VEP Slave | PC i7 920 VEP Slave | UAD Sat Quad | MiniMoog
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

As I've mentioned before, I set "1", "2", and "3" to "memory cycle", "link selection to memory" and "Auto rewind" (not sure which order). That way, I hit "123" as if it were one button, and I instantly have a loop of whatever I've currently selected. Really helpful for setting up mix fine tuning.

The rest of the normal commands I have mapped the same as Adobe, since I use Adobe production software at my day job: "V" for arrow tool, "S" for snap, "Y" for slip too, etc.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Prime Mover wrote:As I've mentioned before, I set "1", "2", and "3" to "memory cycle", "link selection to memory" and "Auto rewind" (not sure which order). That way, I hit "123" as if it were one button, and I instantly have a loop of whatever I've currently selected. Really helpful for setting up mix fine tuning.
I'm going to set something up like this. Great idea!

bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Anyone know how to delete a key binding? When a key assignment is visible, you can simply click on it and press Delete. But if the key does not leave a character in the cell showing assignments, that doesn't work. E.g. I assigned F15 to Save As. No character appears, but it works as a shortcut. You can highlight the cell and press Delete, but F15 continues to activate Save As.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
bricker

Post by bricker »

Prime Mover wrote:As I've mentioned before, I set "1", "2", and "3" to "memory cycle", "link selection to memory" and "Auto rewind" (not sure which order). That way, I hit "123" as if it were one button, and I instantly have a loop of whatever I've currently selected. Really helpful for setting up mix fine tuning.

The rest of the normal commands I have mapped the same as Adobe, since I use Adobe production software at my day job: "V" for arrow tool, "S" for snap, "Y" for slip too, etc.
I do something similar with "clear"/"="/"/" on the numpad - "Clear" for click, "=" for Wait, "/" for Countoff - that way I can place the counter exactly where I want a note, hit those three, and play the note at any time (I mostly work with MIDI).

I have also set 7/8/9 to match the Memory functions like you said, and "-" turns memory on/off.