Buffers Multipliers in VE Pro 5, bit confused

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
toodamnhip
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Buffers Multipliers in VE Pro 5, bit confused

Post by toodamnhip »

I am a bit confused as to the purpose and function of the buffer multipliers in VE Pro.

1) Are the buffer multiplier settings meant to improve realtime throughput of MIDI? 2) Are the buffer multipliers meant to improve cpu load on the host? 3) Are both statements true?

History--- I have been using VE Pro 5 in DP and recently sync problems with Digital Performer 8.01 and VE 5.1.11849 have led e to make tests with the buffers and the results have been confusing to me. I previously thought the latency buffers being set to 4x would take a load of of DP during playback. And, with VE Pro set to 4x buffers, when DP is set to low latency, there are less cpu spikes so setting the buffers to 4 x seem to have a slight effect. But not MUCH of an effect. I seem to remember before DP vers. 8.01 the cpu difference was really obviously improved at 4x buffers compared to buffers set at “none", but now, it is only a small improvement. Either setting VE pros’ buffers to 4x do less than I though to improve system cpu load or DP 8 and VE pro have become more efficient. Playing MIDI in realtime seems to show that even with DPs buffers set to 1024, if I run VE at a latency on NONE, there is no throughput delay and VE triggers immediately. So this seems to indicate that the buffer multiplier is for real time throughput. Or is it it both to improve realtime throughput and to lighten CPU load? A little explanation would be appreciated. 1) Are the buffer multiplier settings meant to improve realtime throughput of MIDI? 2) Are the buffer multipliers meant to improve cpu load on the host? 3) Are both statements true?
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
nk_e

Re: Buffers Multipliers in VE Pro 5, bit confused

Post by nk_e »

That's a great question.

This sounds snarky but it is not meant to be: Have you posted it over at the VSL forums? Seems like something they could answer in a heartbeat.

If you have, and you get an answer, it would be a service to update the thread here....

10 core iMacPro | 64 GB RAM | OS 12.6.7 | LOGIC PRO | STUDIO ONE 6 | CUBASE 12 | BITWIG 5 | DP 11 | MOTU Interfaces | Waaay Too Many Plug-ins |

http://www.gesslr.com

toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

nk_e wrote:That's a great question.

This sounds snarky but it is not meant to be: Have you posted it over at the VSL forums? Seems like something they could answer in a heartbeat.

If you have, and you get an answer, it would be a service to update the thread here....
No Problem. Could you also take a look at the sync issue I am having with DP 8 and see if you too have that problem?
Here’s the post: http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... =1&t=52217
PS.
I do have a post over at Vienna too. But they have been a bit unresponsive lately.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
nk_e

Post by nk_e »

will do.

10 core iMacPro | 64 GB RAM | OS 12.6.7 | LOGIC PRO | STUDIO ONE 6 | CUBASE 12 | BITWIG 5 | DP 11 | MOTU Interfaces | Waaay Too Many Plug-ins |

http://www.gesslr.com