Rant

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
Mr. Quimper
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Rant

Post by Mr. Quimper »

Sorry to rant - I know I need to upgrade to DP8, which I believe has auto-backups, but I'm stuck with 6.03 right now. Having used DP since 2006, I've never experienced any application in my entire history of using computers that corrupts its own project files with as much frequency (and I'm including DP 5). I love DP, but it really is ridiculous how many projects I've lost due to an inability to open the damn file. I've been busy with a new day job and finally get a chance to sit down and create something - I produce a great track only to discover the next morning that I can no longer open the project at all without DP crashing instantly. I've removed all plugins, rebooted, renamed - tried everything I can think of, even moving the project file to a totally different machine which is running Lion, with the same effect.

Sorry, but there's just nothing more frustrating than getting to a great place musically for the first time in months only to be completely unable to retrieve your work at all. :(
It was all MIDI, so there's no way for me to load the data into a new project.
Yes, the moral is to backup, backup...but you don't always think of that when you're on a roll...now I've lost all desire to work on anything.

2.5Ghz Quad-Core/20GB DDR3/10.11.6/DP 9.5
Shooshie

Re: Rant

Post by Shooshie »

That's so strange. I haven't had a corrupted file in years. Maybe it's because you're using DP6. That was singularly the worst version of DP ever produced, possibly excepting 4.0. I won't ask why you're using it; I'm sure there must be a reason, because you said you're "stuck" with it.

Honestly, if there is any way to upgrade, you should get away from any of the 6.x releases. The later ones worked pretty well once we got Snow Leopard. I don't remember if corrupted files were part of my version 6 experience, but it wouldn't surprise me. It was awful!

Sorry to hear that you got stuck there. That was not a good place to get stuck. Version 7.0 was probably the BEST release MOTU ever gave us. After 6, they knew they had to get it right, and they did. But I'm using version 8.01 without any problems. I recommend jumping to 8.01 if you can handle 64 bits. If you're stuck with 32 bits, maybe 7.24 would work for you.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Mr. Quimper

Post by Mr. Quimper »

The only limitation has been financial, and it's a temporary one. So, I'm not 'stuck' so much as 'stalled at' 6.03. :P

I wonder, has anyone ever tried sending a project file to MOTU? I wonder if they know any secret voodoo that might allow for the project to be opened again?
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

When you post a tech support request, there is an option to upload a file with it.

I didn't have these problems with V6, but a lot of people did. If you want to send me the file, I can see if it opens in V7 or V8. If so I can resave as a V6 project and you can take it from there.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

Have you tried creating a new file and using the "Load" command to bring the data from the current file into the new one? I've saved a corrupted file in that way... the last time that happened, I think I was running DP6 (which crushed my desire to work every day I used it).
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
Mr. Quimper

Post by Mr. Quimper »

A thanksgiving miracle - bayswater saved the day! Everything is as I left it before things went south. Major thanks, props, appreciation. :dance:
Mr. Quimper

Post by Mr. Quimper »

Now, time to back up! :lol:
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

Sorta surprised, I always felt that by the last version of DP6 they had most of the kinks worked out, but it just left such a bad taste in everyone's mouth they had to get away from it. File corruption seems more like an OS or hardware issue, I'm wondering if something else is going on, DP6 had a lot of problems, but I've never heard of file corruption being one of them.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

I think the last time I had a corrupted file was in DP6, and Magic Dave opened it for me. Same deal.

You gotta get out of DP6. It was like Jim said: it crushes your desire to work.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

I agree that DP6 was rough, however with the .03 version I think they ironed out most of the kinks; DP7 was shortly available. Makes me wonder if something else is going on with your system, disk problems come to mind.
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
rainmaker
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by rainmaker »

I had several very frustrating file corruptions in version 6. However, whatever the last version of 6 was, they seemed to go away. And I haven't had any in version 7. I have 8 but haven't switched full time to it yet so I can't say much about that. I'd say move up as soon as you're able to.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I had many so called 'corrupt files' on my machine. All had resided on other Macs at one point. Granting Read & Write access to all accounts in Get Info and checking apply to all files on my project folders made the problem go away. Suddenly, my files weren't corrupt anymore.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Mr. Quimper wrote:Now, time to back up! :lol:
And time to start making lots of Save As copies too! You'll never have to face this again because you just go back to your last Saved As version.
I do one just before any major edits, or perhaps every hour or so... Whatever coes first.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman