Korg Nanokontrol2 Mackie Control and CueMix

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
johnsbaker
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Korg Nanokontrol2 Mackie Control and CueMix

Post by johnsbaker »

The Korg Nanokontrol2 includes a Mackie Control emulation. Has anyone tried this with CueMix for a controller?
Klaus
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Korg Nanokontrol2 Mackie Control and CueMix

Post by Klaus »

Yep
works
you need to boot the Nanokontrol in DP mode, outlined in the Nanokontrol userguide

Best

Klaus
johnsbaker

Post by johnsbaker »

Klaus --

Thanks for the quick reply. I am considering purchasing a Nanokontrol2, then. Can you please tell me what you can or cannot control in CueMix?

For example, can you control volumes in the Mix tab. Also, can you control EQ for an output pair?

I am trying to decide on limitations for the Nanokontrol2 as a controller for CueMix, versus using TouchOSC.
Klaus

Post by Klaus »

Ohhps, now I'm feeling a bit stupid...
Replied to a Cuemix question and was thinking 'DP'
Sorry, just verified :
Bank of 8 channels select, volume , pan, mute, solo,
but only for mix 1 as far as I see.
Unlike in DP, you have to create a virtual Mackie Control device an connect to it in Audio MIDI Setup.
Not sure if TouchOSC can do Mackie Protocol, I *think* Cuemix needs Mackie Protocol

Hope this helps

Klaus
johnsbaker

Post by johnsbaker »

No worries, Klaus ... thanks for checking this. I was afraid it would only be for Mix 1. Oh well!

MOTU just added support for TouchOSC, which gives you quite a lot of control on all "tabs" (input, mixes, output, reverb, channels/dynamics, etc). I didn't want to lug around an iPad, but have an old iPod Touch I might use for portability.

If anyone finds a way to use the Nano2 to control the EQ for output (or other stuff in CueMix FX besides Mix 1), that would be a very good thing indeed. Please post here.
Klaus

Post by Klaus »

Could you please explain 'using TouchOSC' for Cuemix ?
Does it need MIDI via Audio MIDI's network capabilities ?
Last time I tried Audio MIDI's network capabilities, I found that every time you boot the mac, it needs configuring... even if started as a service upon booting...
I went the 'VNC route then', and now have one 896mk3H rig that has a router connected to a mac mini and is ready to connect onto via VNC client when booted... no more display on this rig.
The tablet ( cheapo android ) is now my portable display

Best

Klaus
johnsbaker

Post by johnsbaker »

Klaus --

No, TouchOSC uses a different protocol and does not involve Audio MIDI setup stuff. MOTU added support with their latest CueMix release. Read more about it here http://hexler.net/software/touchosc and here http://www.motu.com/newsitems/wireless- ... m=touchosc

Hookup is like this:

iPad/TouchOSC <---local wireless--->computer/CueMix<-firewire/USB->computer

You need an iPad or faster iPod Touch or iPhone to run the $5 TouchOSC app. The control panel template is free from MOTU. It supports just about everything visible in any of the CueMix FX screens. It runs nicely from my iPad, smooth and fast. On my 2G iPod, it is too sluggish, but that is an early model with a slow chipset.

Worth a look, and a superior solution for those who have their MOTU interface connected to a laptop/computer and have an iPad.

I have a Nanokontrol on order, as I want to see if it will work out for live CueMix control. Since I mainly need it for mixing, I prefer to use a small, cheap interface rather than taking an iPad to gigs.
Klaus

Post by Klaus »

Looks like there is also an Android version
http://hexler.net/software/touchosc-android
I may have to check it out, but VNC serves me also as a general Mac 'overall' control...
Nanokontrol is ok for 8 channels, you can flip to the next bank of 8, but without feedback on motorised faders not really usable for me...
I prefer BCF2000

Thanks

Klaus
johnsbaker

Post by johnsbaker »

Got the nanokontrol2, and it works as you say. But it is definitely limited to Mix 1 only, although that all works great (except for the screen not responding to Bank jumps).

Alas, though, I am going to sell my Ultralite. The lack of flexible MIDI control for CueMix FX screens other than Mix 1 is a deal breaker for me. The unit sounds nice and is very capable in terms of I/O routing, but methinks the CueMix FX software remains in the dark ages with regards to flexible cc MIDI control. I did determine that TouchOSC works great for those of you who want to lug around an iPad in addition to a laptop! :deadhorse:
Klaus

Post by Klaus »

The BCF2000 supports controlling output switching , in MCU mode, for Cuemix FX.
It's the Nanokontrol that can't do that...

Best

Klaus