Video unusable in DP8 on my system

Digital Perfomer in the context of television/film scoring and post-production.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for discussion related to the use of Digital Perfomer in the context of television and film scoring and post-production.
dix
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Video unusable in DP8 on my system

Post by dix »

ironchef_marc wrote:The issue I'm having is when in loop mode, when it goes back to the start of the loop the movie goes in fast forward motion for 10 sec. then it resumes back to normal speed. Audio plays back fine though! Happens regardless of video size. Anyone can replicate this?
Yes. I'm seeing that too.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
PJ

Post by PJ »

DP8/video has worked smoothly with my rMBP, but now I found a way to slow GUI. If I drag plug-in window (just little) over DP's movie window, GUI is slowing down. Eg. Waves PAZ-Analyzer slows 8's GUI almost unusable. After I click movie back on top, GUI is smooth again.
(Movie runs on my lap's monitor and I have Consolidate window on external monitor.)
PTHDN(TB)/OMNI / DP8 ** Post Production **
dix

Post by dix »

I just notice that if I play a movie full screen using Quicktime 10 (not in DP) I get the choppy system behavior. It's not nearly as bad as when I have a movie in DP, but the same basic issue. Everything remains smooth when playing a movie full screen with Quicktime 7. Obviously DP is now using the QT10 engine while DP7 was using QT7's.

I'ma still wait for 8.1, but all indications are that my video card is going to have to go. I'm not sure qt10 yet existed when they made my Mac or that card so its not surprising that there are issues.

…and yeah, PJ multiple open windows is known, though inconsistent, graphics issue.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Here's a thought... when I setup my system, I selected a QT movie and got info from the finder. In the open with box I selected QT 7 and "apply to all." Perhaps you might try this. Worth a shot!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
dix

Post by dix »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Here's a thought... when I setup my system, I selected a QT movie and got info from the finder. In the open with box I selected QT 7 and "apply to all." Perhaps you might try this. Worth a shot!
Oh yeah! I've always done that. That's why it took so long to get around to checking out movies in QT10. I can't stand QT10 - this is just one more reason to dislike it.

[edit - If you're suggesting that Apply All will force DP8 to use QT7 that's not the case, but thank you MLC.]
bralston

Post by bralston »

The pink elephant in the room with QT is that Apple is moving away from it. QT7 Pro is not 64-bit. QTX is...BUT...QTX taps into QT7 Pro for some of the pro level codecs and frameworks. This is why QTX lacks some features pros need. So in a completely 64-bit system...this need to tap into QT7 under the hood features that are 32-bit is probably rearing its ugly head. And QT7Pro will not be updated to be 32-bit ever. So where does that leave pros that need it in 64-bit?

Also...in 3-4 years QT will start to be eliminated (Apple has already notified the developer channels of this direction) in favor of a new format for video which will most definitely create a rumble around the industry as video formats, codecs and containers change yet again.

So...older software that needs QT support running on soon to be future OS that does not support it will become a problem. The industry as a whole does not change that quickly to new unproven formats. FCPX is a great example of this. But with QT's ".mov" container being so prominent now...I only see this getting more and more ugly.
Regards,

Brian Ralston

- MacPro 7,1 3.2 GHz 16-core Intel Xeon W, 384GB 2933MHz DDR4 RAM, OS 10.15.7, 2TB SSD OS drive, 6TB Samsung Pro EVOPlus SSDs via Sonnet 4x4 M.2 PCIe card, Graphics card: AMD Radeon Pro Vega II 32GB, UAD-2 Quad, DP 10.13, DP 11.0,
- 15" MacBook Pro 2.3GHz 8‑core 9th‑generation Intel Core i9 processor, Turbo Boost to 4.8GHz, 32GB 2400MHz DDR4 mem, Radeon Pro Vega 20 w/4GB HBM2 mem, 2TB SSD storage, OS 10.15.7, 2TB SSD, DP 10.13