digital performer and objects oriented sequencers

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
fafalio
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

digital performer and objects oriented sequencers

Post by fafalio »

hello Everyone.
i ask you if it is possible in DP to apply an effect in non destructive way (via aux, insert effect) not to the whole track but only to a small fraction of a track.
In software as magix samplitude this is possible with the object oriented editing where i can cut a portion of a track and inside that portion i can insert all the effects i want.
thanks a lot,
Alessandro.
FMiguelez

Re: digital performer and objects oriented sequencers

Post by FMiguelez »

Of course it's possible.
For this you don't put the plug-ins in the mixer's channel. You need a time range selection of a sound bite and then use the plugs from the Audio menu and render them as needed.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
fafalio

Post by fafalio »

my answer is another, i don t want render, i want apply and effect to an object as it would be an effect in the mixer, so acting without rendering to audio.
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Then put the plug-in in the mixer...

If you only want a particular part of your audio to have an effect then you could set it in the mixer and bypass it afterwards, or simply print it as decribed above. Or use a send and place the effect in a VI Rack. Or cut you audio and put the portion you want in a different track.

Those are pretty much your options.

Is that not enough? What are you trying to do?
Last edited by FMiguelez on Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

If you want to keep original versions (un-rendered) just duplicate the track and mute the original. DP won't destroy the original, it will create a duplicate with the FX rendered.

Another approach would be to create multiple empty tracks each with the FX inserts you want, and drag regions out of the track into the tracks with the desired inserts. (I.e., select the region of audio, use COMMAND-Y to split the region, drag to adjacent track).

OR, you could use automation, by putting the FX you want on inserts, and automate the bypass state of each insert.

OR, you could create a bunch of aux tracks, each with various FX paths. Then you could use aux send automation to send any track to these aux track FX paths, without having to duplicate the inserts.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

fafalio wrote:my answer is another, i don t want render, i want apply and effect to an object as it would be an effect in the mixer, so acting without rendering to audio.
Make your selection, hit Command-Y (IIRC - to create a new soundbite) and Shift-drag the resulting soundbite to a new track. Apply your plug-ins to the new track as inserts in the mixer. Think of soundbites as objects in this case.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

And, let's through CLIPPINGS into this conversation.

As I mentioned above, if you create an Aux Track with a set of inserts you like, there are ways you can drag elements (either the track itself, or the inserts) onto the CLIPPINGS window such that they would be available in any other project. That way you can feel like you are building a library. I'm only now starting to work with CLIPPINGS after having avoided it for as long as it existed.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Bren Gun
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Bren Gun »

He's asking if it's possible to use the Object Editing approach equal to that in Samplitude. A simple yes or no should suffice. From what I can tell from the answers, it's a no.

In OE, you non-destructively apply an effect to an object or clip inside a track, on the Object Level not on the Track Level. There's no need to copy anything nor is there need to automate on Track Level, nor a need to take many steps, etcetera. You approach the object, apply non-destructively, done. And you can easily remove it immediately if wanted or change it and so forth, pretty much like you would remove an insert from a track.

(I'm also interested in this. My reason is because I come from Samplitude and am considering a switch. I'm on the forum to honestly see if it's wise to switch to DP8. Maybe there are features in DP8 to better facilitate what I want to do.)

Have a good day, all!
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

It's a simple yes or no if the question is how it's done, rather than whether you can do it. DP has a mix of object oriented and other approaches, but it does not use the Samplitude/Cubase, etc method of doing this.

I usually just select the portion of the audio that I want the effect on, and drag it to another track, and apply the effect there. If there are a lot of positions where the effect has to be turned on and off, automating bypass is pretty simple.

No doubt, more region oriented editing options would improve workflow for some users, and this comes up often in the wish lists, especially for MIDI.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Bren Gun
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Bren Gun »

Respectfully, I don't see how that response is even relevant or useful.

If the question is "how it's done", then the yes has already been given or it is known (or at least should be) and the answer is to be responding to "how it's done".

He's asking about the matter the way in which I described it in my previous post. "Can it be done in this particular way?" Either 'yes' or 'no'. Anything else is irrelevant.
amplidood

Post by amplidood »

No, DP does not have object-oriented real time plugin capabilities. Other apps like Logic have gotten around this by dynamically controlling the CPU usage of plugins based on whether or not audio is passing through them. Studio One and other apps in that arena do have "event based" effects, allowing you to treat different audio events on the same track in completely different ways. It's pretty ingenious, but something I can get around.

I'd rather have Logic's approach, to be honest.
Radiogal

Post by Radiogal »

Bren Gun wrote:Respectfully, I don't see how that response is even relevant or useful.

If the question is "how it's done", then the yes has already been given or it is known (or at least should be) and the answer is to be responding to "how it's done".

He's asking about the matter the way in which I described it in my previous post. "Can it be done in this particular way?" Either 'yes' or 'no'. Anything else is irrelevant.
Thing is that we always wanna help people here on Motunation.
If it´s not done in the way it´s asked, than we will give all the other options about how to get the same results.
We´re just being helpful.

All DAWs (and other software) have different ways of doing the same things.
The hardest thing of learning new platforms is to sync your brain into the new softwares´ way of thinking.
Once you get it, it all becomes clear.
That´s my long term experience.
MAC PRO 6 Core 3.33 GHz, 16 GB RAM, OSX 10.8.5, DP 9 MAC and WIN (64bit/Jbridge) AMPGUI Mellow, Logic 10, Wavelab 8 MOTU 24I/O (x2), MOTU 2408 MK3 (2x), WAVES Mercury 9, SSL, UAD2Quad, McDSP, Sound Toys, Sonnox, Sonalksis, NomadFactory, T-Racks, P&M, LexPCM, AbbeyRoad, DSM, VCC, VTM, FGX, Melda, EWQL SymphOrch/Piano Gold. Mixingdesk: AMEK Big 44, TK BC-1MK2, SSLcomp clones, GAPPre73, PCM91, TC, FMR. Monitors: Genelec 1031, ADAM A7, >40 mics http://www.ragdollproduction.com
amplidood

Post by amplidood »

Bren Gun wrote:Respectfully, I don't see how that response is even relevant or useful.

This is not respectful. This is nit-picky and displays a misunderstanding of how user forums work. It doesn't matter if everyone's post follows what you perceive to be the necessary parameters. This is a dangerous method of posturing that will alienate you faster than it will help you.
kgdrum

Post by kgdrum »

+1 agree

snarky passive aggressive attitude in every post from this user, this kept me from wanting to answer any of his 2 or 3 participated threads.

As always RadioGal & Andy, your both too kind, lol.
2012 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 core 96 gig,Mojave, DP11.01,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 12U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, Mimic Pro w/ SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata...........
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

You're not going to last long around here with that attitude. Trust me. People are trying to help. You might try to appreciate that.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!