DP8 authorisation on multiple computers?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Morpheo
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP8 authorisation on multiple computers?

Post by Morpheo »

Shooshie wrote:I guess that qualifies me as a Digital Performer fan boy, or something like that.
LOL ... A "DP nerd"? :wink:
Mac Pro 5,1 12-core 2.4 GHz//40GB RAM//RX 560//macOS 10.13.6//SSDs//MOTU 896//Keylab 88//Faderport 8
Pro Tools 2018.7//LPX 10.4.1//DP 9.51
NI Komplete Ultimate 11//Albion One//Soundiron Choirs//Pianoteq//Analog Lab//VSL SE & Chamber Strings//etc
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Morpheo wrote:
Shooshie wrote:I guess that qualifies me as a Digital Performer fan boy, or something like that.
LOL ... A "DP nerd"? :wink:

Hey, Morpheo! Long time no see!

Nerd? Heck no! I'm a DP jock! I can bench press 6 manuals! :lol:

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Morpheo

Post by Morpheo »

Shooshie wrote:Hey, Morpheo! Long time no see!
Indeed..."how time flies' as they say... :P

After about 15 years of using DP back when the "D" wasn't there (and recently trying to find something to like in Logic, but so far without much luck lol), I figured it was time to get more involved with you guys over at unic..wait........motunation! Of all the daws I've used, I feel at home with DP like no other. But well, that's a different discussion... :)
Mac Pro 5,1 12-core 2.4 GHz//40GB RAM//RX 560//macOS 10.13.6//SSDs//MOTU 896//Keylab 88//Faderport 8
NI Komplete Ultimate 11//Albion One//Soundiron Choirs//Pianoteq//Analog Lab//VSL SE & Chamber Strings//etc
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Morpheo wrote:After about 15 years of using DP back when the "D" wasn't there (and recently trying to find something to like in Logic, but so far without much luck lol), I figured it was time to get more involved with you guys over at unic..wait........motunation! Of all the daws I've used, I feel at home with DP like no other. But well, that's a different discussion... :)
Wait till you start learning about all the features and details that have been added since you last used DP. You won't believe all that it does now. And… as always, it's amazing.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Morpheo

Post by Morpheo »

Shooshie wrote:
Wait till you start learning about all the features and details that have been added since you last used DP. You won't believe all that it does now. And… as always, it's amazing.

Shooshie
There you go my english deceived me again (he's french you know :lol: )...I never actually stopped working on DP except during the DP6 era I think. Over the last couple of years I had to work mostly on ProTools but one year ago I switched back to DP for good. Now I use ProTools only on rare occasions because people are sending me either OMFs or ProTools sessions so I have to keep it... I couldn't wait for DP8 and 64bit support by the way... Anyway sorry for going slightly off topic... ;)
ExpressMix
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by ExpressMix »

Shooshie wrote:I don't know how it works now, because they seem to have changed their authorization system, but in the past I've always installed DP on several Macs in my possession, and it always worked, regardless of which one I was using.
Thanks. You can see how that quote about the process is maybe a little confusing. It suggests that it will auto-deactivate one of your systems. Not sure how that could happen except with an Internet connection.

Maybe it's just the case that the next time you do put that system online again and run it, DP gets deactivated on it?

At any rate, its somewhat confusing, the quoted text about it.
ramadev

Post by ramadev »

Morpheo wrote:
taka wrote:Now..."challenge/response"?..... Am I missing something? You just need to enter your serial number then the 'activation wizard' contacts MOTU to validate the authorization/installation. No challenge/response...
...unless your DP computer is offline; then the 2nd option is a challenge/response. (I didn't do it that way, as I took both my tower and my laptop online for the authorization.)
Nehalem Dual QuadCore 3.2GHz/8GB/828/MTP AV/10.6.8/DP8.0-DP7.22/Altiverb6.3.5/ChannelStrip2.2.23/T-Racks/AutoTuneEvo/GuitarRig4/Drumagog/bx_XL/FG-X,RC-Tube,VTM/EventideOmnipressor/MelodyneStudio-Cre8 3.2
MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66GHz/2GB/Traveler/10.6.8/DP8.0-DP7.22/Altiverb6.3.5/ChannelStrip2.2.23/T-Racks/AutoTuneEvo/bx_XL/MelodyneStudio-Cre8 3.2
Neumann,AKG,Earthworks,Soundelux mics/ManleyVoxBox/Avalon737/Amek9098/Genelec1031As
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

bayswater wrote:Lots of software I've had says it can only be installed on one CPU. I think most MS software was that way.
Though you might be right about the rest, I checked MSs policy the other day, and in all cases, they allow 2 installs. Thinking back, that's been the case as long as I can remember.

As for authorization techniques. I can't think of anything better than Waves' new system. Both dongle AND dongle-less, and no iLok required for either. They created their own system, bypassed the disgrace that is PACE and allow you to use any old (or very robust) jump drive. For those of you who REALLY REALLY want to use a dongle, it's perfect, but for the rest of us, we can freely move back and forth between multiple computers as long as they're online at the same time. It's like a virtual token that can be moved anywhere to anything, and as long as it's on the current computer, your software will run. If MOTU ever decides to change their authorization, THAT'S what they should do.

Problem is, everyone's needs are different. For some people, iLok is perfect, but for others of us, iLok is a huge hassle and kinda dangerous. These days, my primary computer is a laptop, my secondary is my desktop (I know, backwards... but that's what ends up happening when your laptop is better), so I'm more often then not, taking in and out my iLok as I use my laptop. It's starting to see a lot of wear, and I really worry that it's going to get left somewhere by accident. And overall, it just becomes a pain. I was happier than ever to ditch it for an internet activation system. For how I do things, iLoks are a lot worse than internet activation. For some of you, iLoks are better.

But I think it's kind of selfish to demand that MOTU should adopt one over the other, because it screws up the other camp, of which the other system doesn't play nice. Waves gives the benefit of both worlds. I think it's the future of software protection.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Prime Mover wrote:
bayswater wrote:Lots of software I've had says it can only be installed on one CPU. I think most MS software was that way.
Though you might be right about the rest, I checked MSs policy the other day, and in all cases, they allow 2 installs. Thinking back, that's been the case as long as I can remember.

As for authorization techniques. I can't think of anything better than Waves' new system. Both dongle AND dongle-less, and no iLok required for either.
Then MS changed their policy at some point. I haven't had any of their stuff for a few years.

As for iLok, I would agree, but as long as you need an iLok for one thing, MachFive in my case, you might as well use it for as many things as you can. What makes me nuts is a zillion different variations of challenge - response, so you have to go wading around archives to try to remember how some particular weird system worked the last time, only to find they've come up with yet another approach. I understand why they have to do it, but it would be great if they'd all get together for a drink at one of the large vendor shows and land on a common approach. iLok is as close as we ever got, and now it's dissolving.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

And I agree, a universal system is nice. I guess that's what makes Waves so great, you can use anything you want to contain your authorization token. Supposedly an iLok2 will work for Waves v9 authorizations as well... it doesn't use the PACE system, but it will recognize it as a generic USB drive.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
stoecklem
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by stoecklem »

Hi

I thought I 'd mention my experiences with the new activation system so far. I don't like having my computers on-line so I activated with a response code. Then I decided to connect to the internet real quick to download some plugins. DP was not open.

then upon starting DP, the authorization window popped up. So just connecting to the internet seemed to have ruined my previous activation. I tried to re-load my previous response code but that didnt work. It seems the response code isn't just a hardware id type thing.

so I just ended up activating online again. I hope that doesn't use up my second activation. I just want to be able to install DP on my laptop too and use it at work on occasion, which is I think is allowed although its pretty confusing.
miket

Post by miket »

Well, I understand MotU position about protecting their softwares, being a registered user since 1992 on the other hand I should be allowed to install DP on more than 2 computers because, all in all, the final user it's always me. :)
And knowing that I'm allowed to install DP just on two computers doesn't let me very satisfied because the reason is still the same: I can't use 6 computers at the same time, my MIDI network is driven just by one of them but, again, I might have 6 computers in my home studio that are used one at a time.
That's why I would be allowed to install more than two copies of DP8.
As usual my closing might seeem unpleasant, anyway the more registered users are oppressed by software protections the more they look for cracked ones 8)
Life without music would be a mistake
----------------------------------
MacPro 10core i9 10850K MacBookPro 16" i9 DP11 2 16A 2 828mk3 2 8PRE Ultralite mk5 3 MidiExpress 128
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

>And knowing that I'm allowed to install DP just on two computers doesn't let me very satisfied because the reason is still the same<

You are not understanding. This new way is exactly what you want.

DP 8's online activation allows the last two activations to be ... well, active. Prior activations are shut down. In your case, you can install it on your six. You will not be able to use it on more than two at a time. If you switch around, you will have to re-activate the station you are at online unless it was one of the last two that you did.

I like this better than FinalDraft or MasterWriter or Finale - all of which allow two. Those require you to deactivate your older copies first - if you don't, you can't use the one in front of you.
DP 11.3; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.2.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBP Catalina
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

You could conceivably do what I did. I've got two fully paid copies of DP. Generally I leapfrog their upgrades, but it enables me to have more than one in action if so need be.

Shooshie
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

mikehalloran wrote:Prior activations are shut down. In your case, you can install it on your six. You will not be able to use it on more than two at a time.
I don't understand this. Do the Macs already activated have to be on line when you activate a third?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8